Japan - Day-to-day cash

Search

Japan - Day-to-day cash

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan - Day-to-day cash

We are heading to Japan in early April and are wondering what is the best way to deal with our day-to-day cash requirements. In most countries where we've travelled, we just use our ATM cards. I had understood you could withdraw cash from ATM machines (using an ATM card with either Maestro or Cirrus) in Seven Eleven Stores but had heard recently that that service was no longer available. Also heard that it is possible to withdraw cash at ATMs in Post Offices. Any advice gratefully received.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 06:57 AM

I was in Japan in January and used a post office ATM (in Kanazawa), a Citibank (in Narita), and an HSBC (in Tokyo, in the Ginza). No problems at any of these locations. I also found that I was able to use my credit card in more locations than I'd expected and so didn't end up withdrawing as much cash as I thought I would.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM

Maestro/Cirrus (part of MasterCard) is currently unacceptable at 7-Eleven convenience store ATMs due to dispute with Mastercard International. Most other foreign cards should be accepted. No problems using your Maestro/Cirrus card at post office (Japan Post) ATMs, but beware limited operating hours at smaller branches (often little more than business hours). Key to relying on ATMs in Japan is to stock up on yen whenever you see a useable machine, and not to start looking for one when you are running out of cash. It's particularly challenging to locate useable ATMs late at night or at weekends.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi Therese and Alec, Thank you very much for your advice. Really appreciate it!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 12:28 AM

Look for ATMs at the big Japan Rail stations.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 02:26 AM

Yep, a post office will do the trick, and it's the cheapest way as well. Just be careful - some ATMs close as early as 5 PM. Post offices will be marked with this character (in red): 〒
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Look for ATMs at the big Japan Rail stations.

ATMs located inside JR station concourses don't normally take non-Japanese cards. In Tokyo, JR East runs their own ATMs called 'VIEW ALTTE', which only take cards issued by Japanese banks. Some non-JR stations, such as metro stations, have Shinsei Bank ATMs that DO take foreign cards.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Normally they don't, maybe, but some do. I've used my ATM card at JR Nagoya and Hakata stations. Hiroshima too, IIRC.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 12:18 PM

I've only used mine at the airports and PO's....as well as 7-Eleven (before they stopped taking some types). I've always been afraid to try a regular bank ATM - suppose it eats my card...

I try to hit the PO when it's open and stock up even if I don't need money then....but more seem to have separate entrances for ATMs that are open even when the PO is closed...
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 10:33 PM

Post Office ATM machines are godsends for foreign travelers. In addition, since many transactions require a lot of cash, I was hitting the only PO ATM near my hotel every day.

I stock up as much Yens are I can comfortably carry with me at the Airport ATM when I arrive.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Be persistent with the ATMs--some of the English translations don't mean what a native English speaker might think they mean. Several people were having a terrible time at the ATM at Narita airport. I can't remember what step it was in the process or what the exact wording was, but all of us English speakers were hitting the wrong button when a certain instruction came up. I decided to push the opposite button to what I thought it should be, and it worked! When I shouted out in joy, I ended up showing 4 or 5 other people which button to push.

7/11 ATMs were easiest to use and there was no special surcharge or messing with the exchange rates--fortunately my ATM card is VISA.

Also, on the Post Office ATMs, everything was in English until the last button to push, then it was Japanese characters. As I hesitated, a young Japanese girl reached around and pushed the correct button for me. I can't remember whether it was the right or left button now, but if one doesn't work, the other will. Maybe they've updated the PO ATMs to take you all the way through in English now.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 05:05 AM

There are several types of ATMs at post offices, and all work in slightly different ways. I have seen machines at snall neighbourhood branches displaying only Japanese (no English offered), while others had full English voice prompt. Usually the last button to press asks if you want a receipt, or if you want to choose another transaction.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 12:10 AM

Oh yeah, I got a kick out of reading the English instructions. But by that time, I have seen so many funny signs. It is like reading the book "Anguished English" by Richard Lederer. You can find samples of funny signs at http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/89q1/signs.209.html .
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:55 AM

nickn--have you tried http://www.engrish.com/