Japan Airport Info

Search

Japan Airport Info

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan Airport Info

My husband and I are travelling to Japan in March and need some help with airport transport information. Our first stop is Kyoto. Could someone advise us regarding train transport from either the Tokyo, Osaka or Nagoya airports to Kyoto? Since it is such a long trip from the US east coast to Japan, I am looking for as little jet lagged hassle as possible, so I would like to avoid changing trains as we will be dealing with an unfamiliar system. Should we hire a driver instead? What would we expect to pay? We are planning to get tourist rail passes to use the rest of the month. Thanks, Joanne
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM

From NRT, it takes as little as 3:30. Narita Express from NRT to Shinagawa (1:05), then Shinkansen Nozomi to Kyoto (2:13).

From KIX, direct train, 1:15.

From NGO, 1:20. Train to Meitetsu-Nagoya, 0:30; walk over to main Nagoya station, then Shinkansen 0:37.

So, I'll say the fastest and least hassle is to fly into Kansai International (Osaka), KIX.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 01:03 PM

rkkwan is correct about KIX (Osaka/Kansai) being the most convenient airport to Kyoto. Unfortunately, there are relatively few flights from the US to KIX, and none that I know of from the East Coast. There are many more flights to Tokyo (Narita) from the US, including several non-stops from the eastern US.

Most flights from the US to Tokyo arrive in the late afternoon. If you are concerned about jet lag, you might consider flying to Tokyo, staying at a hotel near Narita airport (many to choose from, and at very reasonable prices), then take the train to Kyoto in the morning when you are rested. The train system in Japan is extremely efficient and not difficult to use.

If you are planning to get the Japan Rail pass, you can use it for the Narita Airport to Kyoto trip. However, instead of using the very fastest train (the Nozomi that rkkwan mentioned) with the rail pass, you'll need to use another train that makes a few more stops and takes about 30 minutes more.

Old Nov 29th, 2007, 01:14 PM

The only non-stop mainland US to KIX flight are NW from DTW and UA from SFO. Same two airlines from same two hubs to NGO.

There are other flights from Honolulu or Guam/Saipan (the latter of course makes no sense) to KIX/NGO, and AC YVR-KIX.

Really few flights from mainland US to Japan, other than NRT. AA stopped DFW-KIX a little while ago.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Seems like Osaka or Tokyo with a lay over are the best options. Here's another question. I just can't seem to get my mind around this. If we leave the US on the 13th with the total trip time lasting 18 to 20 hours, will we arrive in Japan on the 14th or 15th their time? Thanks again.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Most flights to Japan depart mid-day in the US. If you leave your hometown early the morning of the 13th, connecting to a flight same day to Japan, you'll arrive Japan mid-day the 14th.

Japan is about 13-14 hours ahead of us.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM

When figuring out what time I will arrive someplace when crossing several time zones, I figure out what time it will be at home when I land at my destination, and then do the time zone conversion.

So, if I leave home at noon on the 13th for a 20 hour flight, it will be 8 am on the 14th in my home time zone when I land. If my destination is 13 hours ahead of my home time zone, then add 13 hours to 8 am to get 21:00 or 9 pm on the 14th.

It always helps me to visuallize an analog clock rather than a digital one for time conversions.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Flying into Tokyo Narita and connecting to a flight to Osaka Kansai, NRT-KIX, would be preferrable to staying overnight in Tokyo or at the airport, imo.

Then take a train or limo bus from KIX to Kyoto. Taxi to hotel if necessary.