Japan: 34 days becomes 12 (or 17)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corporate buyout. Restructuring. Managerial upheaval. Downsizing.

The good news is that my job is secure. The not-good-news is that my 3-month "sabbatical" leave has been shortened by 3 weeks and I must return to work no later than March 23 for a 2-day "realignment and visioning workshop." Arrrrgh!

And the other good news is that I am sitting in Thailand as I write this!

So my 34 days (March 4 - April 8) is now either 12 days (March 4-March 16) or 16 days (March 4-21) depending on availability for my award ticket NRT - PHL. I have the 16th as a bird-in-hand and am trying to snag a date as late as March 21..

Where does that leave me? in a post here: http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...rly-stages.cfm I outlined my priorities for the long trip and got good suggestions which I will now file away for a future trip -- or I hope many trips. This trip is now dubbed "Tip of the Japan Iceberg" and my goals are to (1) get absolutely hooked on Japan, and (2) become more comfortable planning with the train and bus systems.

Begin with the worst case scenario: 12 nights .I already have six nights in Kyoto, booked in December at a favorable rate, so I want to keep all or most of these. (Can you ever have too much Kyoto?). One evening I want to go to Osaka to eat.

Date: <overnight>
------------------------------------
Mar 4: arrive KIX 1400 from Hong Kong, <Kyoto>
Mar 5: <Kyoto>
Mar 6: <Kyoto>
Mar 7: <Kyoto>
Mar 8: <Kyoto>
Mar 9: <Kyoto>
Mar 10:
Mar 11:
Mar 12:
Mar 13
Mar 14
Mar 15: <NRT Hilton, booked on points for early departure on 16th>

My thoughts, based on my earlier post, are:
(1) Postpone south and west of Kyoto (Hiroshima, Miyajima, Shinkoku) and do that in conjunction with a future trip to Kyushu
(2) Postpone Kyo-san (not yet booked)
(3) Postpone Hakone/Fuji.
(4) Do Nara as a day trip from Kyoto rather than an overnight.

With 5 unassigned nights I could do: Kyoto --> Kanazawa or Takayama (2N) -- Nikko (1N) -- Tokyo (2N)-- Narita

Or as above but delete Nikko and add a night between Takayama and Tokyo (Tsumago?)

Or I could do: Kyoto -->Tokyo (2N) -- Nikko (1N) -- Tokyo (2N) -- Narita. That's a lot of Tokyo but I might never feel the need to return on my later trips.

But where to put in a trip to Mito for the plum blossom festival? Arrrgh!

Arrrgh! Time is running nigh for figuring out hotels and if a JR pass (7 day) makes sense (I can purchase the voucher one in TH before Feb 28)

Help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 01:42 PM
kja

I'm glad your position is secure and wish you well in the transition.

Some thoughts:

When I have to shortchange a city in a country I fully expect to revisit, I typically shortchange one of the cities with a major international airport, because it will be the easiest to revisit (and I might need to stay there prior to a departure flight sometime). That would, I think, be an argument for skipping Tokyo (and Nikko) this trip.

I think the combination of Kanazawa and Takayama works well as a 5 day stay. I don't know it you'd want to do that this trip, but thought I'd mention it in case it helps your planning.

While Nara is easily visited from Kyoto, if you do that, try to add time to Kyoto. And of course, there's so much to Nara that it can't be seen in just one day. I'm sure I've mentioned before that I think 6 days ideal for the pair.

You have some tough choices to make, but no bad ones IMO. Good luck!
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, kja. Retirement in 5 years cannot come soon enough!

A very good point about Tokyo: "do it" on another trip and head straight to Narita from the hinterlands.

I want to do the Alpine Route some day so that will take me back to Nagano Prefecture. And I am reluctant to give up Nara, so would this make sense:

Mar 10: morning train to Nara. <Nara>
Mar 11: afternoon train to Kanazawa <Kanazawa>
mar 12: explore Kanazawa <Kanazawa>
Mar 13: travel to Takayama. (Bus? Train?). <Takayama>
Mar 14: explore Takayama <Takayama>
Mar 15: train from Takayama to Narita, stopping at Matsumoto castle?

My internet connection here in Mae Hong Son is a bit dodgy but I will continue to research today. I want to nail the accommodation for Mar 10 and 11 as those are Fri and Sat.

Thank you!
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Well, I just checked hyperdia and it looks like a stop at Matsumoto castle would not work. Oh well-- something else for "next time"
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 06:08 PM
kja

There are buses from Kanazawa to Takayama, or there's also a train connection.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5908.html
(Look at the "Getting there and around" tab.)

If you have any interest, the Hida Takayama Museum of Art (in Takayama) has a wonderful collection of glass art and Art Deco / Art Nouveau decoration:
https://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/spot/m…

While in Kanazawa, you might consider tea at (and a visit to) Gyokusen-en:
http://www.kanazawa-tourism.com/eng/...de1_1.php?no=8
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

There is so much to do in Kanazawa. And I've just been looking at availability on March 10 and 11: both the APA hotel k'zawa Chuo and the muratay look interesting and within budget.

Next-- figure if a 7- day JR pass makes sense for various itineraries (are seat fees included or just the fare? Some of the seat feed are very large.)

Nothing like quickly redoing a trip plan -- actually quite exciting. Adrenaline?
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 07:49 PM
kja

I stayed at the APA Hotel Kanazawa Chuo! IIRC, the room was small, but the roof-top bath was very nice, and its location worked well for my interests in the city. I can't speak to what it's like these days....

Yes, there's a LOT to do in Kanazawa....
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 08:12 PM

You might want to check to see if those buses in the Japan Alps are running at that time of year. But you can do it all by rail.

The following link shows your route on JR. The price is about break even with the JR Pass. Check the Noxomi box and do another search and it, interestingly, is about 5000 yen less.

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/searc...d&sum_target=7
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 08:19 PM

That would be your route. My route would be south. I think the weather would discourage me from Kanazawa and Takayama at that time of year.

I'd consider Hiroshima and other Chugoku points of interest. Maybe Shikoku.

More likely Kyushu with a flight from Fukuoka to Narita. That flight on the 15th would be only USD $98.92 on ANA.

It could be wet in Kyushu too, tho.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 04:10 PM
kja

mrwunrfl raises a good point about the buses -- I hope I haven't misled! But there is a rail option....
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you,all. As I struggle with what to strike from my wish list ( and check the airlines 3x per day for aN award seat to be released on the 21st) I have the feeling that this may end up looking like my first Eurail Pass trip many, many years ago when I felt compelled to hit all of my "musts" in an irrational itinerary.

Mrwunrfl -- thank you for the search link. It showed mehow to use Hyperdia for a multi-destination search, which I had not known. Much easier than piece-wise!

For each route that I have plugged in it looks like the JRPass 7D is about a wash so it makes sense to buy it for the simplicity and convenience factor alone.

Question: if I spend a night in Tokyo (Asakusa) prior to my final night at Narita, is a JRPass of any use around Tokyo -- including getting to Narita? The day I head to Narita in the evening would be day 7...

Still penciling in a plan and punching numbers!
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

I'm still wrestling with my post-Kyoto itinerary. The good news is that I have snagged a flight back to the US on the 21st so I now have 17 days.

From this thread http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...-logistics.cfm on Magome-Tsumago logistics, I got good information, but still need to figure out getting my backpack to Tsumago, as the service for road walkers begins March 21. I may have to skip this.

I am now working on March 10-12, not really where to overnight the day I return from Koya-san, which would be a Saturday night.

date: <overnight>
Mar 4: arrive KIX 1400 from Hong Kong, <Kyoto>
Mar 5: explore Kyoto <Kyoto>
Mar 6: explore Kyoto <Kyoto>
Mar 7: explore Kyoto <Kyoto>
Mar 8: day trip to Hiroshima <Kyoto>
Mar 9: explore Kyoto <Kyoto>
Mar 10: travel to Koya-san <Koya-san: Kumagaiji-In>
Mar 11: Koya-san to ... Nara? Kyoto? <stay where?>
Mar 12: where-ever to Takayama. <Takayama>
Mar 13: explore Takayama <Takayama>

So my question is given that my next major stop after Koya-san is Takayama, where should I spend the balance of Saturday, and perhaps some of Sunday morning (leaving midday for Takayama). Returning from Koya-san seems to leave an odd chunk of time.

For most of my travel after March 7 I will use a JR Pass. (Yes, I know that it does not cover everything such as travel to Koya-san!)

And -- tangentially -- does anyone have any knowledge of Kumagaiji-in as a temple to stay at? Eko-In and Shojoshin-In are not currently available for one person at my price point.

Thank you!
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 08:53 PM
kja

How wonderful that you were able to extend your trip a bit!

Unfortunately, though, I’m not sure I understand your current plan, as I’m seeing only the itinerary from Mar 4 – 13….

While a day trip to Hiroshima might work well, you might also want to stay overnight in Miyajima, which would (I think) mean delaying your departure a day – so staying in Kyoto through Mar. 8 in Kyoto, and then departing on Mar. 9 for Hiroshima, with an overnight in Miyajima, heading on Mar 10 to Koyasan. I haven’t checked the timing, so before you give this option serious thought, do check!

As for after Koyasan … well, first and foremost, make sure you give yourself time for Koyasan itself! Okunoin is wonderful to visit at dawn, dusk, and anytime in between. And there’s delightful Kongobuji, and SOoooo much more!
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4900.html

Assuming you pull yourself away early enough to catch the last train of the day (and OK, you might not want THAT long on Koya-san – but there is certainly more than enough to keep you busy there for several days!), it is, I think, worth considering going to Nara. An overnight there will give you a better chance of seeing its highlights than you would get on just a day trip from Kyoto – and I felt hard-pressed to see Nara’s highlights in 2 full days! Of course, your interests might not be like mine – but from Nara, you can easily go back to Kyoto, or visit Uji, or Osaka or Kobe or … well really, your problem will be what to skip, not what to visit.

Sorry, but I don’t know Kumagaiji-in. What I can tell you is that in more than 10 years of monitoring Fodor’s threads about Japan, the ONLY complaints I have seen about Koya-san that I remember seeing have been from people who did NOT stay at Shojoshin-in or Eko-in. When I went, the price for a solo room at Shojoshin-in was a breathtaking splurge. I’m glad I decided to do it. The food (dinner and breakfast) was exquisite, the setting was beautiful, the access to other things I wanted to do in Koya-san very easy…. That said, I can’t tell you how to prioritize your costs or experiences, and wish you luck in doing so. IME, it’s always difficult to balance one’s needs and interests, especially on a budget.

FWIW, I just tried to find a bit of information on Kumagaiji-in, and I’m not convinced that it is actually ATOP Koya-san – I think it may simply be close to the last of the necessary cable cars. Before you commit, please be sure to confirm where, exactly, it is!

Hope that helps!