Search

January trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
January trip

I will be flying into Delhi mid Jan. Want to see Agra, Valanasi, maybe Khjuraho, Udaipur, Jaisalmer, would like to do a camel trek. I've read Jaipur could really be missed. I really like local culture, primitive settings. My question is, after Delhi, which city should I go to next and so on? How is best way to go, train, etc? I will fly back out of Dehli or Mumbai, whichever is most local to where I will be.
I will only have approx 12 days.
Thanks so much
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 09:22 AM

I have never been to varanasi , but I think to go to Varanasi you have to do that from delhi. We did look into going to khjuraho but saw that it takes two days of our time, most of which would be spent taking the flight to khujrao and then driving from the airport to khjuraho. It seems the airport/train station is a good distrance from the temples.

This is how we did it, drove from delhi to agra, stayed in agra one night (do not miss the agra fort) drove from agra to jaipur (the drive was very beautiful, miles of mustrad fields)stayed in jaipur for two nights, flew to Udaipur, stayed in Udaipur for two nights and then flew to Mumbai to take our flight to U.S.

Jaisalmer is 7 hrs drive from jodhpur and jodhpur is the closest big city to jaisalmer, so you have to go to jodhpur to get to jaisalmer.

If you want to go to Varanasi and Khujraho, I suggest that you delete udaipur and jaisalmer from you trip.

Go to delhi, go to varanasi and khujraho from delhi, come back to delhi, drive or take the train to agra, drive, take the train or fly to jaipur and you can either take the train or fly from jaipur to mumbai.

You will be too tired running from one city to another. Traveling in india is difficult. Because the roads are not so good, it takes a long time to get from point A to point B. In January there is a lot of fog in the delhi area and often flights, train schedules are delayed. Trying to cover so many cities in one trip will take the enjoyment out of it.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, celeste, for the info, ideas on itinary. Im now having trouble finding places to stay, as everything seems to be booked. Any ideas?
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 01:49 PM

If you have never been to India and only have 12 days Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and one other destination is all you can do. It is very late - India is a very popular destination this year. Your best bet is to contact an Indian travel agent to make arrangements.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 11:10 PM

we are going back to india on Jan 15 and I usually use American Express Travel or Expedia for our hotel. This year I had trouble getting a confirmation for our hotel in jaipur, so I just sent an email to the hotel directly and in two days I received an email with my confirmed reservation. You many want to fax or email the hotel directly and see if it works.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:20 AM

your likely iternary would have to be delhi to agra and then varanasi. next stop would be to fly to jaipur and cover udaipur and jaisalmer by road. and keep khajurao for the next time.
send me a direct email with your approx. budget and i will send your likely travel and stay options.