itinerary input

Search

itinerary input

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itinerary input

Here's the schedule, the flights are set, and so are the accomodations, just need input on what to do, and if it looks reasonable (my specific questions follow the itinerary layout)

21st fly to LA
22nd fly to BKK
23rd Noon- arriving in bankok- rest day at mariott
24th- Grand Palace - Wat Phra Kaew & Wat Pho- massage at Wat Pho, Evening klong tour to Wat Arun and Royal Barges and flower market
25th- Jim Thompson House and ?
26- Floating market (7-11am) -Fly to Chang Mai- 12:40- stay at Baan Orapin -night bazaar?
27- Doi suthep- Raft trip
28- Lampang and Elephant Conservation center day trip and Wat Phra That
29- Cooking Class
30- Hiking/ Trecking or ?
1- fly to Phuket- 11:15- Drive to Krabi/Railay- hang out at Sunrise tropical resort
2- Snorkeling and Phananga cave
3- Kayaking
4- Krabi shopping- fly to Bankok- 16:50
5- Bankok- shopping and last minute sights
6- Fly Home

Thinking of using one of Ratt's people for the big BKK tour day on the 24th. Has anyone done other things with them not listed here?

What night bazaar is better, the one in BKK or Chiang Mai?

How does Wat Phra That Lampang luang compare to Doi Suthep, and the other wats in BKK that I plan to see? Will I be able to do it on this day with the ECC and is it worth it, or are there better wats in Chiang Mai town?

Any recommendations of someone to use for a day hike or bamboo rafting in Chiang Mai?

Any thoughts of who to use to drive from Phuket to Krabi? (The reason I didn't fly to Krabi is that there was a 90 minute layover in the BKK airport plus the extra flight time, and I'd rather use that time to view the countryside while driving.)

Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:25 PM

I'd switch the 25th and 26th. Jim Thompson then go to the airport. You won't be back from the floating market in time for a 12:40 flight.

27th...Doi Suthep is a good couple of hours I think, and a rafting trip is a whole day. You could do Doi Suthep, the nearby Meo village (touristy but behind the shop streets is interesting), the royal garden between the two if it is open. You could relax in the late afternoon, go to a spa (Oasis, original location is great) or the night market.

Cooking class...we loved www.alotofthai.com She did a customized class for us.

If you are in Chiang Mai on a Sunday, be sure to go to the Sunday Walking Street market. It starts in the late morning, gets going after lunch, and really is lively after dusk.

Are you doing the one day program at the ECC? If not, if you are going for a visit only, you can see the bathing at 9:45, show at 10:00. You can have a short elephant ride, visit the elephant hospital and the dung paper factory. There are a couple of lunch places right there that are good and cheap.

You can arrange a transfer with your Krabi hotel from PHuket aiprot if you wish, or get a car service right at the airport. Completely up to you.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:40 PM

agree about the flight following the FM - you won't make it. Also, on the 24th - an "evening" Klong tour???? I don't think so. . .move Klong tour to daytime so you can actually see something. I also think you are crowding a lot of stuff in.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Ok, after reading a couple other posts, I rearranged the first 3 days.

23rd Noon- arriving in bancock- rest day at mariott
24th- Grand Palace - Wat Phra Kaew & Wat Pho- massage at Wat Pho, - Jim Thompson House and outlet
25th- Floating market (7-11am) - afternoon klong tour to Wat Arun and Royal Barges and flower market
26- Teak (vimanmek) mansion and Marble temple - Fly to Chang Mai- 12:40

What day would be best to have one of Ratt's guides. And am I still pushing it to make it to my flight on the 26th?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:48 PM

If your flight is 12.40 i suggest not to plan anything for that morning. You'll need to leave your hotel around 1100-1115 AM and i dont think you'll have time for anything "meaningfull" before that...Sleep in, have a nice late-ish breakfast and head to the airport
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:51 PM

you might ask magical routes above about possible touring as he has access to a newly organized service similar to ratt...
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:35 PM

Hi,, Koala
Let's check at www.3travel.blogspot.com topics "Thailand 2006(Chiangmai) " help & good recommended about Chiangmai.
Have fun
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM

Rafting near Chiang Mai doesn't have to be a whole day. I was offered this as an option while visiting hill tribe villages north of town for a few hours. I posted info on my guide in another post if you want to try to combine it with a few things.

I also managed a visit to a less touristy Hmong village the morning before we went to Doi Suthep and we were done by 1 or so with both.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the input. So if the morning before my flight is a wash, I am stuck on what to choose to do the morning on the day prior. What would be a more unique experience between the Floating Market or the Teak Mansion and Marble temple? I remind you that I am doing a klong tour already, would that be similar to going to the floating market (ie. will I see people selling food and things from the boats)?
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM

on the klong tour you will see very few, if any, people selling anything....sometimes in the morning you will see a few but they are there for tourists specifically...

the marble wat, etc is a nice experience..

26th....i don't6 think you can do the floating market and be back by 11, so do the alternative....hire a driver and have him take you to the places with your bags in the car and then just continue on to the airport....i don't think you could easily get back to the hotel and then on to the airport with the stops also..
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:47 AM

if you have any interest in the Buddhist rituals you can go make merit with the monks very early in the morning. You can also go to the market to buy and then release fish/turtles. You can also go to one of the temples that sells coffins for unclaimed bodies. There are many other ways to make merit.

We found these to be highlights of our time in Bangkok. Very interesting.

Ratt's guide named Tong is well versed on these rituals.

Just a suggestion for something completely different.

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Wow, so many interesting things to see, I think I may be making a trip back to BKK someday. Thanks for the info about the Buddhist rituals. Do they do this at all the Wats, specifically the marble wat?
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Yes the monks come out with their alms bowls at Wat Ben. At sunrise. If you get there early enough you can hear them chanting.

Unless you're a practicing Buddhist, you'll need someone to help you prepare the food and teach you how to give it.