Itinerary Ideas Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh city

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2022, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (two adults and two teens) are traveling to Vietnam at the end of March, beginning of April. We are a very active family that loves the outdoors and traveling. This will be our first time in Southeast Asia. We are flying into Hanoi and spending a few days in the area which I already have planned. After Hanoi we will fly into Siem Reap. We fly out of Ho Chi Minh 7 days later. I am curious what others have experienced traveling from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City and looking for ideas and advice.

I have considered flying from Siem Reap to Phu Quoc, and then taking the ferry from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien. Then from Ha Tien taking a tour of Mekong delta ending in Ho Chi Minh City.

Another option is taking a tour from Phnom Penh through the Mekong delta and ending in Ho Chi Minh City.

Last idea I have is simply flying from Siem Reap into Ho Chi Minh and then taking a tour of Mekong Delta from Ho Chi Minh.

Thank you for any advice.

Old Aug 19th, 2022, 05:45 PM

I have considered flying from Siem Reap to Phu Quoc, and then taking the ferry from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien. Then from Ha Tien taking a tour of Mekong delta ending in Ho Chi Minh City.
NO ! Should be Siem reap-Phnom Penh-Ha Tien, then delta to CAN THO for flight CT-PQ or to CT-RACH GIA for boat

Another option is taking a tour from Phnom Penh through the Mekong delta and ending in Ho Chi Minh City.
PP-speed boat PP-CHAU DOC and delta; but then, no PQ

Last idea I have is simply flying from Siem Reap into Ho Chi Minh and then taking a tour of Mekong Delta from Ho Chi Minh.
Bad idea, !
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 08:31 AM

Hi Ddj and welcome to Fodors Asia forum. We have travelled that route several times over the years in both directions by several different routes. Personally, I wouldn’t bother with Phu Quoc and would head overland by land and river to Ho Chi Minh City.

Phnom Penh 2 nts - fast boat by river (6 hours) to
Chau Doc 2 nts - bus (3 hours) to
Can Tho 1 nt - rent a private boat (8 hours) via Vinh Long
Ben Tre 2 nts - bus (3 hours) to Saigon.

You can see a lot in Phnom Penh in a single long day by renting a tuk tuk and driver. Key sights include Choueng Ek (the Killing Fields) and Tuol Sleng (the prison) , the Royal Palace , Silver Pagoda ( if they are re opened) , the Russian and Central Markets. Some details and photos on our blog at https://accidentalnomads.com/2015/06...ighter-future/

Chau Doc is possibly my favourite place in the delta. Ideally you would want two full days , three nights there (but something else would have to give). The first three posts on this page of our blog cover one time we too some friends along https://accidentalnomads.com/category/vietnam/page/2/ I think there is also some stuff on the boat trip with "Blue Cruiser". You should have time to see Tra Su submerged forest, Sam Mountain and the Cham villages. I can probably still get you the names of guides if needed.

Can Tho is a big city but the main reason is to see the floating markets. https://accidentalnomads.com/2015/03...oating-market/ This means an early start (5.30) but you will be done by 8.30 and can move on to Ben Tre. This is a post about the boat trip in the opposite direction
https://accidentalnomads.com/2015/02/14/mekong-delta/ . Easy enough to arrange a boat for $100_150 USD but also pretty straightforward by bus.

Ben Tre is also covered in aour blog . It is mostly about seeing the light industry, coconut, brick, candy production in the area by travelling around the small canals by boat.

Have fun whatever you decide. It is a wonderful corner of Asia!
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 06:50 PM

Well I think you have very little time for Siem Reap and Southern Vietnam. In Siem Reap you will need at least 3-4 days. Then only 3-4 days left for HCM and Mekong Delta. I will suggest a flight from Siem Reap to HCM to save time. Then from HCM do excursion to Mekong Delta.

Of course if you have more time, you can insert Phnom Penh to your plan. Then with speedboat to Chau Doc/Mekong Delta, then to HCM. It would make your trip more interesting. But in your case filght will better choice.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 07:09 PM

Siem Reap and HCMC in 7 days?
Phu Quoc island is your must see place?
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 10:15 PM

Apologies ddj, I misread your post! Siem Reap needs a couple of days minimum so I would spend 3 nights there and spend 2 full days exploring the temples. Fly to HCMC for the remainder of your time. You could spend one day there on a trip out to the delta though , personally, given the places in the delta you can reach on a day trip, I don’t think that is worth the effort.

If the delta is a priority then I would look at flying to PP and then getting the speed boat to Chau Doc, spend two nights there with a full day exploring and then just get the bus to HCMC for your remaining time.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

No, Phu Qouc island is not my must see place. I was hoping for guidance on what others recommend. It was just an idea.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Crellston and DinHo, than you for your guidance. I will probably just fly to HCMC! I wish I had more time, but maybe I will save the Delta for another trip.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 07:34 PM

Regarding to your last decision, you can consider doing a day trip to Mekong Delta.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 06:22 AM

ONE DAY Mekong delta , Why not one week ALL Vietnam ??????? TWO DAYS MINIMUM !!!!