Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Help - Siem Reap, Hanoi or Nothing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Asia in November. I will be spending three full days in Kyoto, three full days in Bangkok (that might be cut down to two days), 3 full days in Chiang Mai. I have an extra two or possibly three days. I was considering Siem Reap (I hear it is fabulous but I don't know if my husband really wants to see a LOT of ancient temples. Am I missing something, they say it is great) or do three days in Hanoi. I think I am favoring Hanoi, but I am also wondering if I am trying to squeeze too much in, should I just cut my trip down to the three places that I have. (Personality-wise, I like to see everything that I can possibley see when I vacation. I have to temper that with my husband who likes really nice hotels and restaurants. We are staying at the Oriental in Bangkok, and Four Seasons in Chiang Mai. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 11:07 AM

Take your "extra" days and add them to the places you are already going. I am guessing that this may be your first trip to Asia... YOu need to slow down to experience Asia. You already have a lot of time you'll be spending in the air, as the flight from Japan to Bangkok is something like 7 hours. You wilkl especially appreciate having more time in Bangkok.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:03 PM

I loved the temples at Angkor, but if I had to choose, I'd opt for three days in Hanoi, one of the loveliest cities in Asia. I haven't been to Chang Mai, so I can't speak for experience, but from what I have heard, you might be wise to think about substituting the temples at Angkor for this destination. I know day after day at temple ruins is not everybody's cup of tea, but the Angkor ruins are something special -- in the same league as the pyramids of Egypt!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Kathie and Alan for your comments. Kathie, I am sure that you are right. I should know better than to try to squeeze all of that in. I am sure that I would love Hanoi, but I will include that in my next trip to Asia.

I am also thinking that if I can change my airline flights, I will also omit Siem Reap - which would leave me three full days each in Kyoto, Chiang Mai and Bangkok. This will all depend on the airlines.

Thanks for your comments.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:29 PM

i think i would spend my time in hanoi, bangkok and kyoto period...all deserve at least as much time as you can give them and more