Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Help Please! Sept - early Oct - Too rushed?

Aug 11th, 2019, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can advise me if they feel that this itinerary is too rushed. Looking at it, I feel logistically it is pretty rushed by tacking on the flight to Surabaya for Mount Bromo. I don't have a set itinerary yet other than that I fly in and out of Bali. Specifically, I'd like to enjoy some of East Java before going to Bali. I've never been to Indonesia so am open to suggestions. I'd like to enjoy some temples, volcano/mountains, waterfalls, and nice beaches. I was also looking at Komodo area because it has a nice mix of what I'm looking for. I'm willing to axe Mt. Bromo if it's too rushed. FWIW, I'm a 32 male that's in decent shape and operates on minimal sleep and I need to end in Bali. Thank you for any help!

Sep 22nd - Land at 11:30PM in Bali. Depart to Yogyakarta and arrive at 7:30AM next day.
Sept 23rd - Yogykarta [explore]
Sept 24th - Yogykarta [explore + Pramabanan]
Sept 25th - Yogykarta [Borobudur + explore]
Sept 26th - Depart Yogkarta to Surabaya at 3:00PM and arrive at 4:30PM. [Private tour to Mount Bromo pick-up at 11:00PM]
Sept 27th - Mount Bromo at 6:30AM + Madakaripura waterfalls. Return to Surabaya and overnight
Sept 28th - Depart to Bali early AM and arrive at 9:30AM. [Ubud]
Sept 29th - Ubud
Sept 30th - Ubud
Oct 1st - Ubud
Oct 2 - Ubud
Oct 3 - Canggu or Sanur
Oct 4 - Canggu or Sanur
Oct 5 - Canggu or Sanur
Oct 6 - Depart @ 9:00AM
Aug 11th, 2019, 12:26 PM

I agree that your side trip to Mt. Bromo takes up a lot of time. I guess its depends on how important it is to you to see Mt. Bromo. For me, one of the delights of Indonesia is taking my time, wandering through markets, getting to see things that aren't on anyone's itinerary.

You might find my trip report from Java to be helpful: Kathie’s Return to Jogja. This trip was in 2012, but most of the report is about the temples and such, so those things are still relevant all these years later. Do take a look at the photos https://marlandc.smugmug.com/Java-2012
Aug 11th, 2019, 06:22 PM
kja

What Kathie said!

I'll also say that your time in Ubud seems short -- but maybe your interests differ from mine.

You might find some useful information in the report I filed on my time in the area, based in large part on Kathie's excellent advice.
A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali

It's a fascinating part of the world -- enjoy!
Aug 11th, 2019, 06:54 PM

I don't know where you're flying from but if you expect to land in Bali at 11:30 PM then catch a flight to Yogya that leaves at around 7:00 AM, I think you're overestimating your ability to enjoy the day in Yogya.

My advice would be to spend a few days in Bali first, either in Ubud or at one of the southern beaches, then fly to Java and spend a few days there. (Or skip Java and add Komodo if you prefer.) Then end your trip back in Bali either at the beach or in Ubud.

In Java, you could either start with East Java/Bromo then go to Central Java/Yogya/Borobudur or the opposite. I'm not that fond of the city of Yogya and would suggest that you devote more time to the surrounding countryside: Borobudur, Dieng Plateau, Merapi etc. Personally, I think the Bromo area is profoundly beautiful, but it deserves more than a quick sunrise. If you go plan to spend a night in the mountain area. The hikes and views are spectacular all day long.

I haven't been to Madakaripura waterfalls, but be aware that getting from place to place in the Bromo area is not so easy and plan ample time.

Canggu and Sanur are about as different as two neighborhoods can be in the type of beach community and culture. For a 32 year old I'd go with one of the Canggu neighborhoods: Petitenget (which is the north end of Seminyak just before the "greater" Canggu area starts), Batu Belig, Brawa, Batu Bolong. It really depends how you envision spending your time.
Aug 11th, 2019, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marmot View Post
I don't know where you're flying from but if you expect to land in Bali at 11:30 PM then catch a flight to Yogya that leaves at around 7:00 AM, I think you're overestimating your ability to enjoy the day in Yogya.

My advice would be to spend a few days in Bali first, either in Ubud or at one of the southern beaches, then fly to Java and spend a few days there. (Or skip Java and add Komodo if you prefer.) Then end your trip back in Bali either at the beach or in Ubud.

In Java, you could either start with East Java/Bromo then go to Central Java/Yogya/Borobudur or the opposite. I'm not that fond of the city of Yogya and would suggest that you devote more time to the surrounding countryside: Borobudur, Dieng Plateau, Merapi etc. Personally, I think the Bromo area is profoundly beautiful, but it deserves more than a quick sunrise. If you go plan to spend a night in the mountain area. The hikes and views are spectacular all day long.

I haven't been to Madakaripura waterfalls, but be aware that getting from place to place in the Bromo area is not so easy and plan ample time.

Canggu and Sanur are about as different as two neighborhoods can be in the type of beach community and culture. For a 32 year old I'd go with one of the Canggu neighborhoods: Petitenget (which is the north end of Seminyak just before the "greater" Canggu area starts), Batu Belig, Brawa, Batu Bolong. It really depends how you envision spending your time.
Thanks so much for the information, I appreciate it. I am flying from San Francisco and arrive in Guangzhou, China at 5:15AM. I leave at about 6:30PM and then arrive in Bali at 11:30PM. You are right, I am not sure if I will be fully prepared for Yogya (although, I have had worse connecting in the Philippines on my last trip and managed to survive the jet lag! SF - Seoul - Cebu - Coron was one long trip!)

Thanks, I wanted to do Bali proper in one stretch instead of breaking it up and backtracking with more flights, but maybe doing Ubud first makes sense. My only apprehension of spending too much time in Bali is the throngs of tourists, which is why I wanted to break some of it up elsewhere. I realize the time I am going is a national holiday week in China as well and I've heard Bali is a hotspot during this time. I am open to amending where I go in Indonesia - the only must is Ubud in Bali. If I axed Mount Bromo and spent time directly in Ubud upon arrival, would it logistically be possible to add Komodo + East Java? All the routes that I've tried through Skyscanner seem to require a ton of backtracking.

Thank you again.
Aug 11th, 2019, 08:27 PM

Have you already confirmed your flight from Guangzhou to Bali? In order to visit Java first you might be able to make a better connection from Guangzhou to Jakarta, Yogyakarta or Surabaya.

If you have to fly from Guangzhou to Bali, then whether you put Java at the beginning, end or middle of your Indonesia trip doesn't add any more flights. To me, sitting around Guangzhou airport all day, then sitting around Bali airport all night sounds like torture.

I wouldn't expect Bali to be overly "thronged" in September/October. Some destinations (like Tanah Lot and the Tegalalang rice terraces) are tourist magnets but as an independent traveler you'll be able to avoid crowds. It's actually a quiet time in Bali, with good weather and lower rates.

You won't be able to visit both Komodo and East Java. They're both wonderful destinations but logistically complex to get to. You have to pick your shots and allow yourself extra time for typical delays. To get to Komodo you need to fly from Bali to Labuan Bajo in East Nusa Tenggara. Once you're in Ubud you'll be able to make arrangements. There are zillions of tour operators: just make sure to ask a lot of questions about the sea-worthyness of the boats they use.

Another option is to just stay put in Bali for 2 weeks. Or maybe add a beach in Lombok or the Gili Islands. You won't have any problem filling up the time with nature and culture in various parts of Bali.