Search

Itinerary help! Leaving next week!

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help! Leaving next week!

Hi, everyone,
I feel like I should have posted our itinerary much sooner than this, so I hope I got it all right...but I still have a few days to make changes, so....please let me know what you think.

5/13 - Arrive Tokyo late afternoon
5/14 - Tokyo
5/15 - Half day trip to Kamakura/half day Tokyo
5/16 - Hakone/ Tokyo in evening
5/17 - Early train to Takayama
5/18 - Takayama first half of day, then train to Kyoto
5/19 - Kyoto
5/20 - Kyoto
5/21 - Nara day trip, back to Kyoto
5/22 - Kyoto
5/23 - Kyoto
5/24 - Early train to Mt. Koya; stay overnight at temple
5/25 - Fly out of Osaka
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:41 AM

Looks like a lot of fun. How are you getting from the airport to Tokyo? Are you going to use a JR Pass?

On the 17th, you will need to leave Tokyo before 7AM so that you can catch the 8:42 Hida #1 from Nagoya to Takayama.

Now I see why you were considering Hakone and Kamakura in the same day. You did the wiser thing of splitting them into two days, but the advice to choose one still stands.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your help with our trip.

Yes, we are using a JR pass to get to Tokyo. I know you advised against it, but my husband was firm on beginning our trip in Tokyo, so we're taking the train from Osaka after we land - it may be a little crazy but I think it will be OK. (After all, we can always sleep on the train...)

My main concern right now is that we're not going to have enough time in Tokyo, but my feeling is that perhaps it will be OK because we have many nights there. Thoughts?

I'm also a little concerned because I've heard mixed things about Takayama - I've read in several places that we should see Kanazawa instead, though we are staying at what's supposed to be a nice ryokan (Nagase), and we'd like to have that experience.

Any further light you can shed would be most appreciated
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:36 PM

We stayed at the Nagase in Takayama and loved it. I think Takayama is well worth the visit, although I haven't been to Kanazawa so can't compare the two.

My concern is the same as yours; that you don't have a whole lot of time to see Tokyo. You really only have 1 solid day there (the 14th). You might have some time on the 15th, depending on when you get back from Kamakura. Hakone really takes a full day so I wouldn't expect you to get back to Tokyo until nighttime. If you're OK with missing out on parts of Tokyo, then I'm OK with it. It's just a matter of where you want to spend your time (frankly, I think focusing more on Kyoto, as you have done, is a good move.).
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Now this sounds familiar. I think I was advising a 7-day pass instead of 14-day? Anyway, what I was thinking last night was that if you were going to use the JR Pass to get to Tokyo then that would be enough to tip the scale in favor of using a 7-day pass instead of buying tickets. But, if you are coming from OSAKA then you surely need a pass.

Agree with both about go to Tokyo right away: it is a little crazy and it will be ok. You do what you gotta do! You will be travelling a good bit that first week, but returning to Tokyo does give you flexibility in visiting Hakone and Kamakura. And returning to Tokyo does make that travelling easier.

I've read the comments here comparing Kanazawa to Takayama and I simply don't agree. You aren't going to get all-positive comments from everybody about a place (ok, rarely). Takayama is a city of 70,000 and Kanazawa is close to 500,000. Both are great places to visit.

I don't think you should have any concerns about visiting Takayama, except that you might not be giving it enough time! I think it would be worth the trip just to stay at Nagase.

It is definitely a plus that the 18th and 19th are weekdays.

I visited the Hida no Sato and, to my surprise, enjoyed it quite a bit. And Takayama Jinya.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...922010001.html

The review of Nagase:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...ma/H44918.html
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for all your advice!

In terms of things to do during the day in Tokyo, we'd like to see Tsukiji (but that will be *very* early), Asakusa Kannon Temple, (and a general stroll through all of Asakusa), Kappabashi, perhaps visit a sumo stable, Ginza, and a department store (just to see it) including the basement food market. On 5/15, I'm actually thinking we'll start our morning with brunch in Harajuku and then go to Kamakura. (Thoughts?)

At night, we'll go to Roppongi, Kabuki-cho, Yakitori-ya, etc, and go to Oedo-Onsen Monogatari. Overall, we're not so concerned about seeing every site - we really just want to spend time people-watching, eating street food, and generally soaking up the feeling of the city.

That said, is there anything anyone can recommend that I may have missed?
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Sorry - I meant to ask if everyone thinks we'll have enough time to do what I've mentioned
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:12 PM

Just a couple of thoughts: try to arrive at a department store when it opens - fun to be greeted by all the employees. Wear fairly sturdy shoes for the fish market - floors are wet and slick; also fast-moving vehicles seem to come out of nowhere. I never thought I would enjoy the market, but it's quite an experience. We also liked visiting the Sony building.
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:04 AM

Start a morning with breakfast at Sushizanmai restaurant in Tsukiji.

Visit Meiji Jingu in Tokyo near Harajuku. On the weekend you may see a Shinto wedding party.

Grand Sumo tournament is being held in Tokyo every day from May 8 through May 22. The best action would be from 2PM to 6PM, especially the last 2 hours.
Old May 7th, 2005, 08:48 PM
joh

I saw that you were trying to decide between shigetsu and homeikan in tokyo.
Did you pick one? Please let me know.
I am trying to decide between the 2. THx

If anyone has stayed in any of these ryokans your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thx