Itinerary critique

Dec 9th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary critique

Hi everyone! I was advised to post this question again with a new header so I could get more reponses. Any info would be great!

<< If you all wouldn't mind I would like to post my route and see if you have any suggestions. I just want to go and experience as much as possible. I am not the kind of person who can lounge on a tourist beach and drink cocktails all day ( though some of that will be MUCH welcomed! ). I need to be walking around, exploring, seeing things. I don't have much interest in spending too long on Bangkok, I am more interested in the trek and seeing rainforests, animals, temples, spiritual things. I went to North Africa for a while and the in your face culture of the people in big cities drove me mad after too long, so I am hoping to encounter the softer side of these countries.

So I fly in to Bangkok but like I said, aim to take the train to Cambodia and then Saigon. I chose this just looking at a map because I do want to see these 2 countries, and they seem to be along a traveled route. I wish I had time to go further north but I am supposed to be making my way down to Indonesia.

So I was going to fly from Saigon to perhaps Phuket or somewhere back in Thailand to begin my way down. I aim to take buses and trains to ultimately end up in Singapore. Can anyone offer suggestions for this trek?

And from Singapore I need to get over to Sumatra and begin my way through Java, Bali etc..I just need to end up in Australia sometime before March 26th, so I am completely open to changing my trip at any point! Are there any islands in Indonesia you would adamantly suggest skipping or seeing?

Part of me was thinking of utilising my location and also taking a cheap flight to India or something for a few days. I know it sounds like fitting a world in but it's so difficult to get down here with the cost of flights these days, I want to see a little bit of as much as possible! I wish I could set up shop in 1 place for a while, but I think only having Jan. 25th-March 26th will keep me moving, agreed? But I can always change the exit date of my ticket which is nice.

So I was curious, does anyone have suggestions for getting from Indonesia to Australia? Did you fly? Is it expensive? Do you think once I get there it's all a word of mouth type thing? Staying at hostels/homestays etc. I can just ask on about the next location and make my way? It seems like you can only plan so much.

Sorry for the babbling, just talking about this is so helpful! I really appreciate ALL your words, they're brilliant!

Dec 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Have you looked here?

www.seat61.com
Dec 9th, 2008, 10:05 AM

In brief: the first part of your great journey looks totally doable - pretty much on impulse. Just get yourself to Bangkok.

Hopefilly Kathie will find her definitive link for overland travel BKK to Siem Reap. Just follow the instructions. Backpacker accomodation super-easy to find in S.R. on arrival.

S.R. to Phnomh Penh totally easy to sort out in S.R. Bus, taxi. backpacker accom totally easy in P.P. on arrival.

Think about going down the Mekong somehow to P.P. to Saigon. I think you'd like that.I'd prebook something over the net for Saigon just to get started.

Smart choice to fly [if you can] Saigon to Phuket. Then, if you check out Seat 61.com, you'll find out how to get to Singapore. [Look for BKK - to SIN].

Indonesia's not my bag. You'll have to fly into Oz.

Australia as a travel destination is very easy. Except at Immigration and Customs. Don't be too chilled out about your arrangements, visas etc. They can be cruel.
Dec 9th, 2008, 10:55 AM

The definitive info on overlanding from Bangkok to Siem Reap and beyond: www.talesofasia.com

I love Indonesia - lots to see and do. Avoid Indonesian ferries.

I'm no expert on flights to/from Australia, but I believe there are budget airlines that ply this route.
Dec 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM

Try Jetstar.com from Indonesia to Australia.
Dec 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM

Yeah, the trick would be to get to Bali - then fly to Oz from there. Easy as pie.