Search

Itinerary check Bali

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary check Bali

Hello,

Bakground: we are a family of 6 traveling. My parents, my husband and I, and our 2 daughters 5 years old and 2 years old. We are going to be in Bali for 10 days from July 19th-29th. This trip came about because my father’s dream trip is to go to Bali. Since he is turning 80 years old and in good health, we don’t want to delay this trip any longer. He is a retired history teacher and currently teaches Yoga.
My parents are flying business on EVA and Singapore suites on airline points. That way the long flights will be more tolerable.

We (my husband, I and the children) arrive ten minutes after midnight on July 19th. My parents do not arrive until 3pm (because of long layover in Taipei). Parents are staying 4 nights at Como Shambhala and we are staying at the sister resort Como Uma (children are discouraged at Shambhala, for good reason). I reserved one night July 18th at the Ubud tropical garden, mostly because I did not want to spend Como Uma’s price when we would be arriving later than midnight. Plus we would be walking distance to the Monkey forest and not far from Goa Gajah.

Itinerary looks like this:
6 nights Ubud
2 nights Munduck
2 nights Bukit peninsula

July19th: Group 1: Breakfast at Ubud Tropical Garden. Visit Goa Gajah. Transfer to Como Uma.
Group 2: parents arrive at 3:10pm. Transfer to Como Shambhala.

July 20th. Nothing planned. Parents immersed in yoga, meditation, and walks. Children swimming in the pool and tasting new delicious food.

July 21rst: half day excursion with Amik (thanks kja, for his contact info) to Pura Tirta Empul

July 22: Nothing planned. Relax.

July 23rd: we all move “downtown” Ubud in Masia villa Ubud. (Honesty we could not afford more nights at the Comos and just want to have a practical base to tour Ubud after the relaxation from the resorts). Visit Pura Sarawati, rice field walk, see a dance at the Ubud palace. All walking distance.

July 24th: bicycle tour? Visit some museums? Shopping for textile (for Mom), canyoneering tour for me (would take all day)? Sari organic restaurant dinner in the rice fields.

Jult 25th: 9am departure to Munduk with Amik. Stop at Pura Ulun Danu. Night at Munduk Molding Plantation.

July 26: waterfalls hike; ponies for the kids; spice plantation tours

July 27: drive to the Bukit Peninsula. 2 stops: Tanah Lot and Pura Luhur Uluwatu. Stay in the Temple lodge.

July 28th: Yoga and surfing

July 29th : flight to Yogyakarta at 14:55 on Garuda

Thoughts? Comments? I appreciate feedback. Thank you for reading.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 12:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never traveled in a group so will leave it to others to comment on your itinerary as a whole, though it does seem awfully manic to me, yoga & meditation aside.

But the reason I chose to comment is your desire to be near the Monkey Forest. Near is fine but on a walk on which I took a shortcut through the Monkey Forest I found it my idea of a nightmare. The monkeys are aggressive, thieving & nasty and I wouldn't subject small children to that experience. You must certainly decide for yourselves but do keep it in mind, keep all your possessions locked down (including cameras & phones) and be prepared to make a quick exit if it becomes too much, which It was for me, I moved on leaving wailing people with lost belongings behind. I kid you not.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 03:22 PM

I stayed clear of Monkey Forest when I was on Bali in 1998. A friend and co-worker had been there some years prior and warned me as she had been bitten by one of the monkeys. I had also been informed of the monkeys being quite aggressive and stealing personal belongings.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Apr 11th, 2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 05:43 PM
kja

Oh, I am so glad you booked with Amik! He is a lovely man and a wonderful driver. If you enjoy his services even half as much as I did, you’ll have a great experience.

I hope you know that the Ubud Tropical Garden is nothing special. I certainly found it satisfactory and believe it will meet your needs for a night, as long as you don’t go with high expectations. The Monkey Forest is, indeed, quite close – but I trust you know that Goa Gajah is in a different community outside of Ubud, about 4 km away, I think.

As for MmePerdu’s and Guenmai’s warning about the monkeys – yes, they can be aggressive, particularly if they can see any plastic or other shiny stuff on you, and that includes water bottles. Please make sure they can’t get to any of those things – not only is it an inadvertent invitation to their efforts to get the stuff, but plastic can kill them. The entrances to the park have signs with information, in English, about what to do and not to do – you might pay attention the first time you are in the area, even if not going into the park at that time. I thought it fascinating to see the monkeys and am glad I did, but I tried to be very careful not to invite their attentions, however inadvertently. Unfortunately, a lot of visitors to the park are painfully disrespectful and actually invite (and inadvertently reinforce) their aggression. Sigh.

For textile shopping, consider Threads for Life in Ubud. The work is NOT inexpensive, but it is very high quality and it supports some wonderful women in Indonesia. You might at least walk through the shop to get a sense of their merchandise. If you have specific interests in batik or single or double ikat, mention it to Amik – I suspect he’ll know the places with the best selection and prices.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 07:34 PM

I think you've done a great job of planning for a group with diverse interests. Some random comments:

I agree, stay away from monkeys, in the monkey forest or anywhere! They can be aggressive and vicious and if you're bitten you'll need rabies treatment.

I would add Campuhan Ridge Walk. It's mostly flat and not too demanding for small children. The entrance is near Bridges Restaurant, about 1/2 a mile from Uma.

If you're interested in organic/raw food try Moksa and Five Elements.

For textiles, Threads of Life is a must visit, even if just for a look. For affordable, beautiful affordable textiles I'd recommend Ikat Batik (near the Monkey Forest) and Tradisi (in Nyuh Kuning).

Surf conditions vary with tides and surges but generally speaking, surfing in Ulu Watu is only for experienced surfers only, especially during big wave season in July. I haven't been to the Temple Lodge, but my guess is that the climb down -- and up! -- to beach is quite an ordeal. If your kids want to swim in the ocean, you might try Sanur or Nusa Dua.
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

@Mme Perdu and others about warnings on the Monkey Forest: I am glad you took the time to tell me about your experiences. I had serious reservations about the Monkey Forest. My 2 years old wears glasses, and I had visions of a monkey snatching her glasses. The fact that there is a clinic dispensing rabies vaccine next to the forest is also very telling. So thank you to all of you. The children will stay clear of the forest. I am sure they will encounter a monkey during our travels anyway. What I am thinking about doing, is going alone while my husband watches them having breakfast.

@kja: yes, thank you again for Amik recommendation. He has been very responsive via email. Also, about the Ubud tropical garden, I just want a safe, clean place to crash after our long flight on Korean airlines. Originally I was just going to spend the rest of night at the Hilton by the airport. (Since by the time we are done with Visa and the border it could be closer to 1am). But there is something so sterile about hotels next to airports and I thought that maybe traffic would worst in the morning than in the middle of the night to drive to Ubud...
I remember seeing Threads of life in your trip report and I saw it is on Jl Kajeng, a 10 minute walk from Masia Villa where we will be staying our last two nights in Ubud. It also looks like Jl Kajeng is a smaller street, with less traffic, and therefore more pleasant on foot? My mother will love it there and I just texted her your recommendation.

@marmot: I was hoping you would write as I have seen your excellent recommendations on other posts. Thank you for the restaurants mentions and the textile my mother can explore. As for the beach time, it is not our priority. We live in Florida and it has been 3 years since we have gone to the beach here (now we do love the Mediterranean coast instead). I did consider Sanur, based on some of your other posts, but in the end the focus is going to be yoga, history, traditions and food. I think the Temple Lodge will provide us with great vistas created by cliffs and ocean. But if we don't swim in the ocean, that is ok. I do surf but it has been a while (and probably wont try at a expert location). I added the Campuhan ridge walk to my notes.

Last edited by ToujoursVoyager; Apr 12th, 2018 at 06:29 PM.