Itinerary Advice

Search

Itinerary Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Advice

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Asia for a few weeks in mid-April. After sight-seeing in China, we're planning to heading to a Thai beach resort for some r&r. We're looking to relax on the beach, do some snorkeling and sea canoeing. I've been told that the JW Marriott Phuket and the Sarojin are great places to stay but I'm open for suggestions. I'd appreciate any tips about accomodations, restaurants, or activites in that area.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 04:52 PM

jw marriott is indeed a great hotel, but i warn you it is at least 40 minutes away from the "action", so you might find it too boring...

you might also look at koh samui...and also koh chang....the amari at koh chang is very nice...
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I was interested in Phuket because of the proximity to some of the smaller islands (phi phi etc.) and although I've heard it's a tourist trap the 007 fanatic in me has to see james bond island. What hotels would you recommend in the Phuket area for some young people willing to splurge a little?
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Also, I am planning to travel from in mid-April, does rainy season ever start that early?
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:59 AM

What is a splurge? $200? $300? $500? This may help with recommendations. As Kathie says, check any destination at weatherbase.com for normal precipitation levels.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:13 AM

If Phuket decide on beach area first, give us some ideas how you plan to spend your days.
We know you want to go to some of the nearby places, phi Phi, Phang Nga bay etc, but when you are not touring do you like to stay put at your beach resort or do you prefer to head out and do shopping and do local trips. Some prefer just to lie in the sun ( mid April should be fine ) or do you like if needed to be able to wander from your resort and do shopping, or just generaly wander about.

Some of the best beach places like JW are quite a way from busy areas, so it depends a lot on how you want to spend your time.

Kata beach is a good balance, but if you plan to head our to bars and clubs most jights then although not too far away it is the difference between having to use transport or just walking.

Note, mid April is Thai New year so hotels can be busy.

Also do give us an idea of budget, so point suggesting a quiet USD 300 a night place if you want a 100 a night place in a realy busy area.
If you are unsure of the beaches be as vivid as you want. the sarojin is in Khao lak with is north of Phuket, very different.
Also add if you want large resort or small luxury.
Do note that overall the best located resorts beachwise are expensive, also tell us if you want to step right onto the beach, are happy being across a beach road or happier paying a great deal less and being 10-15 minutes walk from the beach.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:16 AM

I should have appreciated as you had mentioned the JW that you are looking in the upper price range, in that case perhaps now if you give us idea of how livey/quiet you want it we can go from there.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

First, thanks for all of the responses. My main concern in the hotel is the luxury and the beach. We will have been sightseeing around Asia for over a week when we get there so we're mainly looking to relax. We'll probably do some excursions (snorkeling etc.) but the main idea is to sit on a nice beach at a nice hotel and unwind for a few days. I'd be willing to spend up to about $400 a night and maybe a little more if it included extras (ie breakfast, transfers, etc.)