Itinerary Advice -- 10 Days with A Kid

Old Jan 14th, 2022, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Advice -- 10 Days with A Kid

Hello fellow travelers!

We are travelling from the USA to Sri Lanka in mid-March 2022. We arrive at 2:30AM into Colombo on a Saturday. We typically try to avoid stays of just one night. Family is two active adults in late 40s and our 9 year old son who is a solid traveler. I expect we will hire cars with drivers. We are not on a tight budget. We are geared more towards culture, food, sights vs adventure.

My current rough itinerary is, with arrival into Colombo 2:30AM, is to book transfer straight to Tangalle (or similar beach area) for when we land (is this crazy?), then nights at:
  1. Tangalle (relax on beach, get over jet lag!)
  2. Tangalle
  3. Ella (via car xfer)
  4. Ella
  5. Kandy (via train)
  6. Kandy
  7. Near Sigiriya (via car xfer)
  8. Wilpattu (visit Sigiriya early, stop at Anuradhapura, then onto Wilpattu all via car xfer)
  9. Wilpattu
  10. Colombo (via car xfer)
  11. Morning Transfer for 5 nights in Maldives
Thoughts?

Thanks to all in advance!
John
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 09:22 AM

My comments/advice are given below

Originally Posted by jedwar26 View Post
Hello fellow travelers!
We are travelling from the USA to Sri Lanka in mid-March 2022. We arrive at 2:30AM into Colombo on a Saturday. We typically try to avoid stays of just one night. Family is two active adults in late 40s and our 9 year old son who is a solid traveler. I expect we will hire cars with drivers. We are not on a tight budget. We are geared more towards culture, food, sights vs adventure.

My current rough itinerary is, with arrival into Colombo 2:30AM, is to book transfer straight to Tangalle (or similar beach area) for when we land (is this crazy? this is a good idea, it will be about 3 hours drive on excellent expressway from the airport), then nights at:
  1. Tangalle (relax on beach, get over jet lag!)
  2. Tangalle
2 nights on beach is good but Tangalle is a little quieter and the beaches less swimmable, perhaps with a 9 year old and also for better dining/eating options look at something closer to Galle such as Unnawatuna/ Hikkaduwa/Weligama/Mirissa etc.
  1. Ella (via car xfer)
  2. Ella
Ella is good for some trekking, there is a zipline etc and will be fun. After COVID Ella town had really died down but with tourism reviving it should be active again. Take a train ride etc. You can also take a train from Ella to your next stop Kandy, it will be quite scenic.
  1. Kandy (via train)
  2. Kandy
2 nights Kandy is good, visit temples, botanical gardens etc. The big temple is the kandy Temple of the Tooth, but also consider drive to Lankatilleke and Embakke, also if possible drive down to Pinnawela and see the elephant swimming in the river. These three can be done as one day trip and then continue to next stop Sigiriya.
  1. Near Sigiriya (via car xfer)
Suggest two nights in/near Sigiriya. Lot to see do here, Dambulla temple, climb Sigiriya, climb Pidurangala (a bit strenuous but superb views), climb Ritigala, elephant safari in either Minneriya or Kaudulla depending where the herds are. I would suggest you stay and base yourself in Habarana.
  1. Wilpattu (visit Sigiriya early, stop at Anuradhapura, then onto Wilpattu all via car xfer)
  2. Wilpattu
Two nights with four game drives in Wilpattu is good if you are a serious wildlife buff. You can see leopard in Wilpattu but no guarantees! Typically with 2 or three game drives you should see at least one leopard and if your really lucky you may see even experience three or four sightings. There have been times when I have spent three nights in the park and not seen even one, it is unpredictable! Wilpattu is less crowded and IMHO a better experience than Yala. You could fit in a half day game drive in yala also while based in Tangalle or enroute Tangalle to Ella.
  1. Colombo (via car xfer)
Skip Colombo unless you have a reason to visit!
  1. Morning Transfer for 5 nights in Maldives
take me to Maldives with you!!!!

Thoughts?

Thanks to all in advance!
John
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the thoughtful review -- I will make some changes!