Islands-Koh Chang or Koh Samui

Nov 5th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Islands-Koh Chang or Koh Samui

We are trying to decide which island(s) to see on our upcoming trip to Thailand. We will be there for 3 weeks, and would like to spend some time on the beach the last week.

We are not partiers, but would like to find good places to eat, and to socialize with other vacationers.

We are really leaning towards Koh Chang, as we heard that is it not so touristy, but are a bit worried that it may be too quiet. That is why we are also considering Koh Samui.

We would like R&R during the day, and we both love snorkeling. We are also avid sailers, and would also be interested day sails, if that is possible. Or boating day trips to another island close by.

Finally, any recommendations as to where to stay? A moderate hotel or resort, say around $60 - $80/night?
Nov 5th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Koh Samui is far far busier than Koh Chang, Samui has more restaurants and shopping plus plenty of nightlife, it is very tourist orientated, Koh Chang on the other hand is more laid back and relaxing, local restaurants plus restaurants in the hotels and resorts, if you want a lively busy tourist island Koh Samui, if you want a laid back relaxing place then Koh Chang. Try Beachsiam for ideas of where to stay ( www.beachsiam.com) but if you can tell us when you are traveling helps to relate that budget as prices vary a great deal depending on what time of year you are traveling, what you get for $60 one time of year could cost $140 another time, and the other way around, so tell us which time of year before we can give specific ideas on where to stay.
Nov 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks James. We are definately more interested in less touristy, laid back and relaxing places. We will already have been in Thailand for a couple of weeks, (Bangkok and Chiang Mai) so we will most likely have our fill of being busy.

We are planning our beach time for one week to 10 days, starting about Dec 12th or 13th. Another Island we have heard good things about is Ko Samet - I was just talking to a young girl that returned from there 2 weeks ago, and just loved it. Anybody else have any comments about Ko Samet?
Nov 5th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Koh samet is even quieter than Koh Chang, it attracts more budget style travelers, nothing wrong with that but you might find yourslef loosing out on restaurants etc, I know you may think this crazy but are you talking about 'this' December...because if yuo are you have a busy weekend !! And I means 'this weekend now'....the easy thing is that for Koh Chang you can fly in 40 minutes ( Trat on mainland ) but if flights are full you can do it by road, express bus and ferry or if you want more comfort a car+driver will drive you to the boat pier and a short ride onto the island. You have not mentioned budget(?), Bob from this board was there fairly recently, he went for the barali which we liked, also another regular stayed there too, take a browse here and check reviews, the barali still a good mid range choice, but this give you prices, photos etc etc, I would suggest trying a couple of places in case one or another is full.

I think Bob ( whao stayed at Barali ) said the Amari nwas very nice on Koh Chang

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/thai/hotels/

That's their page for Koh Chang and some of the quieter areas, if you want to look at Samet

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/rayong/hotels/

Also you can look on Beachsiam but they go thru the same system and photos etc anyway

Samet is quicker to get to, boat from near Rayong. But you might find it 'too quiet' and no nearly as many nice resorts as Koh Chang
Nov 6th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, James. I talked it over with my husband, and I think we will go with Chang Mai, as it doesnt' sound quite so quiet. I checked out Baralia's webiste, and it looks nice, so I will try to get in there. Has anybody been there recently? I am wondering about the construction, and if it is disrupting anything at the hotel?
Thanks