Road to Mandalay cruise

Search

Road to Mandalay cruise

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road to Mandalay cruise

Has anyone here done the Orient Express Road to Mandalay Cruise? We are just beginning to plan our trip for the summer and are looking at the 3 day trip. Or is there another short cruise recommended? Many I have seen are 8-14 days and we don't want our entire trip to Burma to be on a boat!
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 04:44 AM

Hiya Cakegal,

First of all, great choice choosing Burma, it's probably the most AMAZING place I have ever been, so much so I am planning to go again.

I went back in October with a friend and we did the 4 night Road to Mandalay cruise and what an amazing experience it was. From what I understand, Orient-Express have been operating out there for quite a while now & so they know the country so well, I can't recommend it highly enough. I am looking at doing one of the longer cruises next time, there is one that goes up right into the north of the country after the rainy season which sounds awesome.

We went on the most incredible excursions - so don't worry about being stuck on a boat for your entire trip. But the boat itself is wonderful, very comfortable and luxurious without being over the top, the staff really make it, they are so courteous and friendly! And the food on board was amazing.

It was lovely to see the work that the Road to Mandalay team do with the local community & you really feel encouraged to get involved in the culture. We had one morning where we were encouraged to get up quite early and to go to shore to give the local Buddhist monks alms. The sight of the monks in their robes coming towards us as the sun was coming up was something quite magical.

Again, I can't recommend it enough - have an amazing trip!
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 06:43 PM

I also enjoyed my stay on the RTM. My trip was a combination of a privately guided tour followed by the cruise. The ship was very comfortable and the food very good. Their gift shop had the highest quality souvenirs that I encountered (reasonably priced too). I took one of their longer journeys, up North to Bhamo, and would do it again.

I did feel a little cloistered when we were out and about, the staff kept a sharp eye on the passengers. Thought I could sneak off on my own and have a moment to myself, but I was watched every step of the way.

Having said that, for the split second that I did manage to slip out of sight, I took a tumble down the stairs! b-( In an instant I was surrounded by half a dozen staff members including the ship's doctor. Needless to say, I became a little more cooperative after that!

Here's a link to my report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...anted-land.cfm
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information. We are still figuring out if the cruise will work with our dates and schedule but it sounds great. Either way I am so excited about our trip to Burma and will get some of the Orient Express experience at the Governer's Residence.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 07:52 AM

We took the 2nights/3day cruise from Bagan to Mandalay ,on the RV Paukan 2007 and it was great.Ask for the rooms with a balcony (just a little more money) because to watch the river go by from your own balcony is a treat you must have for yourself...Check out Ayravata Cruises.
IMO, this is just the right length of time to spend on the river,I was glad to arrive...