Reload this Page >

Is Tioman worth it?

Search

Is Tioman worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:37 PM
Derek

Is Tioman worth it?

I'm goign to be in SIngapore in July and thought it would be a good opportunity to go to an island. Tioman caught my eye while researching on the web. I do not know anyone who has gone though. It looks extremely beautiful. It also looks pretty expensive for SE Asia. However I will be travelling for a month and looking to keep costs down. I'll also be going to Phuket in Thailand. Is Tioman alot nicer than Phuket? Will I be paying for the same trip twice on both Tioman and Phuket? Or does TIoman have more tropical beauty and activity to offer than Phuket?<BR><BR>Thank you for your advice.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 12:24 PM
John

Derek, I am also going to Singapore and Penang in July with friends. We are also considering Tioman as an extra trip so I hope someone gives you some feedback. Have a good trip.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Sheldon

Tioman is touristy, if thats what you want then its fine. Rawa Island is more quite qith boat charters to snorkeling spots. From Singapore, Tioman will not be exactly a side trip! It should take you about 2/3s of a day just to get there. Phuket is a better deal anytime.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:17 AM
wayne

I live in Singapore and have been to Tioman twice. There is not much to do on this timy island. There are some nice dive spots, but nothing comared to Sipadan (in Sabah, Malaysia) or Maldives or Great brrier Reef. Given the long ravel time there (5 hours fr S'pore) I'd say skip it and go to Phuket.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:36 AM
aud

I've never been to Phuket but my boyfriend has and he thought it was touristy. We went to Tioman together and thought that it was wonderful. Yes there is very little there but that was the beauty of it. By day we would swim in the sea, sunbath or if feeling energitic hike in the mountains. The food was wonderful.<BR><BR>As far as I can remember there is one "resort" hotel on the island, the Bejaya. If you want to cut costs, then don't stay there. There are lots of smaller (and basic) places to stay, for a lot cheaper. We stayed in a place at Ayr Btang (my spelling is terrible)called "My Friends Place". I think it worked out at 3 euro (maximum)each a night for the accomodation and breakfast. The restaurant there was again basic but lovely we would have banana pancakes for breakfast, and at night whatever fish the owner had caught that day. I can't remember the cost of dinner - but it was cheap.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:47 AM
topper

ttt

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Jen

Just spent the weekend at Tioman and had a fabulous time. We stayed at Kampung Salang, at the north-western side of the island. Gorgeous! I think most Singaporeans go to the south beaches, so it's probably more expensive there. We stayed in a very simple chalet and it was RM150 for the night - with air/con and hot water - but you can get places with neither of those, just a fan and mosquito net, for RM30. We made the mistake of booking at the Mersing side... I'd say if you are going on a weekday, just show up and see what you can find. Cheaper that way.<BR><BR>The Berjaya is at least RM400 a night, rack rates. Not at all worth it. You won't be spending much time inside anyway! <BR><BR>We found the snorkelling at Salong pretty decent, as long as you get further out. Also heard that from the north end of the beach, around the point, is pristine.<BR><BR>Never been to Phuket, but I hear it is very touristy and has seen better days.<BR><BR>oops... I guess you've already gone on your trip!! Oh well, hope this helps someone else.<BR><BR>Jen