Beach getaway from Singapore in Dec

Aug 8th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Beach getaway from Singapore in Dec

We're going to Singapore late Dec till early Jan, and would like to get away to a beach resort for a few days.

Here are some options we're considering:
- Langkawi
- Penang
- Samui

Our criteria are:
- Short flight (< 2 hrs) from Singapore
- Good beach
- Relatively clean, not too crowded
- Not rainy in Dec (if possible)

Which destination would you recommend, and why? It would be great if you could also recommend hotels in the area. We're looking for hotel on the beach with nice rooms and swimming pool, but not too pricey.

Thanks!
Aug 8th, 2007, 10:07 PM

How about Krabi? Tiger airways fly from Sin (under 2 hours i think) BEAUTIFUL scenery and some great hotels to choose from.
Aug 8th, 2007, 10:48 PM

There's LOTS of places you can get to in under 2 hours from Singapore.

I would strike Penang off the list because the beaches there aren't that good. There are a lot of nice things about Penang, but the beaches aren't one of them.

From Singapore, the further north you go, the less chance of rain there is. Since the city itself is almost on the equator, it can rain any time.

Samui, Langkawi, Krabi, Khao Lak, Phuket, etc. should all be safe, but can be crowded in December.

Any reason you're not considering Bintan or Batam? You don't even have to fly to get to them.
Aug 8th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Krabi, Phuket and those near there are better. Bintan and Batam are near Singapore and have the same weather as Singapore which is typically wet.
Aug 9th, 2007, 04:39 AM

The water in Koh Samui is rougher in January than you generally expect. I quite enjoyed it.

We stayed at Rocky's which has its own beach albeit small. It's a little away from the main tourist drag, but is a lovely resort with warm service. www.rockyresort.com
Aug 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Which area in Krabi is good to stay at? i.e. close to the nice beach.
Aug 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Railey beach is fantastic. I stayed at the rayavadee not sure if thats the budget you are looking to spend (its about £250/£300 per night) there are some other places though around here but i think someone else will need to give help with that or do a search on here or trip advisor.. the scenery is truly fantastic and the weather should be beautiful. Tiger airways flights were SUPER cheap.
Aug 9th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Krabi or islands off Phuket like Ko Phi Phi are your best bet and many cheap airlines fly there in under 2 hours from Singapore. I don't think December is prime time for Samui side of Thai islands. I would stay on the other side as mentioned above.