Is Seoul safe?

Feb 24th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Dee

Is Seoul safe?

I,ve been hearing that Seoul is not a safe place to go if you don't speak the language. Apparantly everyone will try to rip you off, shop owners, restaurants, and especially taxi drivers. Does anyone have anything to say about this? I'd like to know if anyone agrees with what I've heard or not.

Feb 24th, 2002, 08:49 PM
deej

dee> when u mean 'safe', r u talking about physical safety or people 'ripping u off'? i've been to seoul many times on business, and have not had any problems with taxi drivers, shops or restaurants. Nor have i ever felt like i was physically in danger.

language can be a real barrier, but english is spoken in the tourist areas. have the name of the hotel written in korean and get the hotel to write out where u want to go, and u should be fine.

Feb 25th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Julie B

I'm an American who's been living in Seoul for 20 months and I feel MUCH safer here than in many American cities. Violent crime is not common here and guns are illegal. Just make sure you stay away from demonstrations (when you see the riot police lining up somewhere, that's your first clue to go elsewhere). The profit motive is strong here, but I've never felt I've been ripped off. Just don't go walking around wearing ice skates or an Appolo Ohno t-shirt and you'll be fine!

Mar 1st, 2002, 02:11 PM
mike

Dee,
Seoul is safe. I just got back from a 10 day stay in Seoul. Seoul is outstanding. The people are friendly (I went the way of respectful and into the bowing thing and it seemed to work very well)and the "subway" (tube to the rest of us) is clean and easy to figure out and really inexpensive (600 won and I got a little better than 1300 won to the USD). I NEVER felt unsafe. Good advice to walk the other way when you see the army lining up (goes for any country actually). The local food is great (they love spicey food, but no problem - just order boggoly (sp?) or Kim-bop (sp?) which, at least what I got, is not spicy). The Korean food is much better than trying to go to KFC or McDonalds (and there are plenty of those dumps there) because the Korean food taste great, is healthy, and cheap. The only down side to eating local is you have to sit on the floor which can be hot on your butt, and tough on your back (just grab a bunch of cushions) but is worth it. And they have really lousy coffee. Tasters Choice insttant passes for decent coffee! Can't wait to get back to Europe for a decent cuppa!
Seoul is great. Get into it. Friendly people! And really good local food. M.

Mar 3rd, 2002, 02:53 PM
Dee

Thank you all for your input =) I feel much better about going now and can't wait. I LOVE Korean food and am glad to know the people are nice, just as they are pretty much everywhere else I've been. I wonder why those other people I talked to had such bad experiences?

Mar 4th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Pat

I've been to Seoul about 3 times in the past 3 years. I have always felt very safe. When using a taxi, have them use the meter. I never felt ripped off. Happy travels!