Reload this Page >

Is my itinerary crazy?

Search

Is my itinerary crazy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 1999, 02:32 PM
Ben

Is my itinerary crazy?

I'm planning a 1st trip to Asia--tell me what you think: <BR> <BR>4 nights in Hong Kong <BR>4 nights in Bangkok <BR>2 nights in Chiang Mai <BR>3 nights in Phuket <BR> <BR>We like to see nice buildings, nice landscapes, and do a little shopping. <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Nov 5th, 1999, 05:57 PM
Ricky

As a local Hong Kong people, I would say 4 nights will be fine in HK. Nice view in night. <BR>But you may consider to spend more time in Phuket, rather than Bangkok, esp. you like to watch landscapes/natural stuff. You can join the local canoe day tour to watch the cave in islands around PHuket. I tried the tour organized by Sea Canoe. Check the site for Phang Nga Daytrip: http://seacanoe.com/destinations/thailand/ <BR>

Old Nov 5th, 1999, 07:55 PM
Michael

Hi Ben, <BR> <BR>Four days is about right for Hong Kong the first time. Great views from Victoria Peak (the Peak) and excellent shopping in Kowloon. <BR> <BR>We were last in Thailand last Christmas and would recommend 2 days at most in Bangkok and 3/4 in Chiang Mai and 3/4 in Phuket.

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 05:42 AM
Ben

Thank you for your feedback. <BR> <BR>Why would you recommend spending less time in Bangkok? Too hectic? Or are the temples nicer in Chiang Mai?

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 03:05 PM
pat

Ben <BR>As a local in BKK, i wouldn't like to defend how many days you should be here, but definitely, BKK has more than just the Grand Palace, the sites and attractions are not in the same area, you have to seek for them. <BR> <BR>I would recommend you to choose one between Chiang mai and Phuket, and keep the other one for your next trip. Chiang mai: the north and mountains, you can go to MaeHongson, chiang rei, Phuket: the south and beaches, you can go to Trang, Krabi. <BR> <BR>welcome to asia. <BR>

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 02:18 PM
cs

I would definitely recommend spending longer in chaing mai, not just for the city itself, but what is round there. you can go to mae hong son (gorgeous) or pai, a small town, but good for trekking from. <BR>

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 07:53 PM
lynn

Ben- <BR> <BR>After just returning last week from 10 days in BKK, I'd like to offer my opinion. Also, let me say I've been to HK twice and love it. <BR> <BR>Before we left, we read many things about how people didn't want to stay in BKK. BKK for 2 days and leave! That's most of what I read from posters. <BR> <BR>After spending 10 days in BKK (with one day trip to Kanchanaburi), I can, at a glance, see why. It is hectic, crowded, lots of touts around, and the pollution can be a bit much. However, if you do it "right", you should spend 4 nights. What I mean by right is this... <BR> <BR>Don't try to walk everywhere, you'll be choked by fumes. Take a taxi to the area you want to explore and then walk around on the non-major roads. Lots of little lanes and market in Chinatown for example. Also, the clothing area around Pratunum. And of course, Patpong at night. Very touristy but my husband found Aligator watch bands for $5 each. (And yes, they're real. He collects watches and can tell the difference.) <BR> <BR>You will need at least one day to see the major sites at a nice pace and more time if you includes things like the National Museum, Vinnemeak(sp?) Teak Mansion, etc. So, 2 days are already gone and you haven't really walked any areas or shopped much. <BR> <BR>Also, don't forget about the very reasonable rates for "luxury" in BKK. You can stay at nice places for very good prices and eat at nicer hotel restaurants for much less than in most larger cities. Some of the things we did, we did because we wouldn't be able to afford them anywhere else. <BR> <BR>Also, since you said "we", I'm assuming you have a wife/girlfriend. She might like a day spa at the Oriental Hotel while in town. We booked 2 nights in the Garden Wing at the hotel, I did a day spa (about 7 hours), and then my husband and I had dinner at Normandie that night. It was the most decadent 2 days of my life and worth every penny. It wasn't cheap but compared to prices for similar experiences in L.A., Paris, New York, etc., it was a great value and a wonderful memory. <BR> <BR>Please, stay 4 nights in BKK. We just stayed 10 and we're going back! Next time, we plan on seeing more of the country but just wanted to really get to know the city the first time out. <BR> <BR>In short, I think you're itinerary is fine. One note, the shopping quality and variety is better in HK. You will find things to buy in BKK, we did, but, we came home with money to spare. That never happened in HK. <BR> <BR>Also, would recommend staying in HK the last 4 nights. Why? Because, assuming you do most of your purchasing there, it's better to not have to haul everything around. That's what we're going to do on our next Asia trip. Of course, like everything else in life, it depends on what you are looking to buy. You guys might buy different things than we do. <BR> <BR>Well, I hope this has helped. I think I've gone on long enough to where I've lost my place! If something doesn't make sense or you have a question, please feel free to email me directly. <BR> <BR