Is Kathmandu worth the trip?

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Al

Is Kathmandu worth the trip?

We're thinking about taking a tour to India, with an option to tack on an extension to Kathmandu in Nepal. Is this worth doing? What is there to see? Are we actually in the Himalayas when we are in Kathmandu?

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 09:58 PM
pat

I think Kathmandu is indeed worth a visit, in the city centre there are the royal palace, and important religious sites, and the old town. If you need some scenery you have go out a little bit from the city, but you will be in Kathmandu valley, not the real Himalayan area. I think "Border" is the town for Himalaya.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 10:04 AM
jhm

I took a similar trip around the north of India (Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi) and thought that the Kathmandu part of the trip was wonderful. You will go to the older parts of the city and see the most phenomenal and unique architecture you have ever seen. You will see outposts of Tibetan Buddhists who have escaped from Chinese rule in Tibet to adhere to the Dalai (rather than Panchen) Lama. As was said before, you're in the valley, but the plane ride is fantastic and you can see Everest. Definitely do it.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Dian

I found Kathmandu to be one of the most fascinating places I've visited. We secured the services of a car and driver - very, very reasonable - and saw Kathmandu from the eyes of a local. I have always said that you have to "smell the smells and hear the sounds" of the east to appreciate it. Go to Durbur Square, Bhaktapur, the various temples, etc., and get out of town on a day trip. We spent four days in Kathmandu and the area following a trip to India - Kathmandu was the highlight of the three weeks and what we talk about most! (A word of advice -even if you see lots of people who appear to be travelers eating ice cream, beware! It is not safe no matter what they tell you)

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Nexusnext Travels

Yes, it's really a worth visiting place. Infact, whole of Nepal is worth visiting place. To find out why and more just visit http://discover-nepal.tripod.com

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Sandy

Here's another yes vote. I went to India and Nepal last Nov and thought that Kathmandu was a breath of fresh air compared to India. They still had a lot of vendors but they actually went away when you said no thank you.

The sites are beautiful, the pace seems a little slower, the shopping is FANTASTIC . . . wonderful cashmere sweaters for $20 . . . all in all, a wonderful experience. Don't miss the flight along the Himalayas and Mt. Everest.

Let us know what you decide,
Sandy

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Al

By way of preliminary feedback, we have decided to follow all of the above advice -- and go for it! We plan to make the trip in March, so we probably will be back on this web site with more questions in coming weeks and months. The way we figure it, if we are going to travel all that way, we should give it the full treatment. Thank you very much!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Kathie

I'm glad you're going to do it. Kathmandu is worth the trip. My favorite place in the valley is Bhaktapur. I also thought the plane trip to see Everest and the whole ridge of the Himalayas was wonderful.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 09:54 PM
John G

I really enjoyed Kathmandu. After being in India for two weeks, the air was so refreshing. Kathmandu is filled with absolutely beautiful temples and architecture. I went to this temple and saw this "living goddess" who appears at the window in a courtyard. She has khol-rimmed eyes and wears bright red silk. It was so exotic, I have never seen anything like it. She is very famous--just ask, everyone knows where she lives. The only bad thing about Kathmandu is the poverty. You see all these poor starving kids and your heart breaks.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Kathie

John, you found the air in Kathmandu refreshing? While I recommend going to Kathmandu, it has the worst pollution (both air and water) of any place I have visitied (I admit I have not yet been to India). Perhaps it was the time of year. I was there in December,and while the weather was nice, the air was not.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 03:26 PM
John G

Darling, after 117 (F) in India, the 85 in Kathmandu was very refreshing.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Kathie

Ah! temperature - yes, I have no doubt that Kathmandu felt refreshing.