Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is it worth changing money before arriving?....

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Ashley

We are arriving rather late on a Thursday night into Bangkok, and were wondering if currency exchange places would be open. Or is it worth changing some money beforehand?Thanks for any advice.
Ashley

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Morgan

Currency exchange is open at BKK airport 24 hrs. You will get a much better rate in Thailand, but you have not said where from/? what currency

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Ashley

Thank you for that information, I really appreciate it. I didn't want to get there and find out that the exchanges were closed. I am coming from San Francisco, and will be changing US$.
Thanks

Old May 14th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Alan

Although I can't speak for Bangkok in particular, it has been my experience that there are few places in the world that do not recognise US dollars, and even the poorest street pedlar is more than happy to accept these for whatever he is selling, and will whip out his calculator in ten seconds to tell you the price based on today's conversion rate.

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Saffron

Definitely change it when you arrived. Rates are very similar changing in the airport or in the city.

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Kathie

As others have said, do wait until you arrive in Bangkok to get Baht. The best exchange rate is through ATM machines. There is one in the BKK airport, after you go through customs. Ask if you don't see it immediately.

Old May 15th, 2002, 08:55 AM
pat

I think you need some money in hands before leaving the airport, it is true that there is ATM available, and it should be fine after you are ready to enter city centre.

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:10 PM
kat

Make sure you have a pocket full of $1, everyone will take american money, it's almost sickening.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 02:49 PM
gail

Whenever we travel anywhere we try to get some local currency from our bank before we leave for immediate purchases, cabs, food - after a long flight/trip, it is nice to not have to worry about that immediately unless you want to. (Fortunately our bank offers this as a free service. I imagine exchange rate is not as good, but it is only for a small amount of money, so that does not matter all that much)

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 07:35 AM
cb

Is there a difference in the rate for US dollar cash or traveler's check when exchanging in Thailand ?

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Michael From New York

I live in New York and I couldn't find baht in Manhattan; I really didn't look that hard. So I bought some in Hong Kong at the airport so I could arrive in Bangkok and have Thai baht in my pocket as I walked from the International Terminal to the Domestic Terminal. Also I wanted , upon arrival in Phuket, to be able to go directly to the hotel and not have to deal with changing money, so I'd be able to pay for the cab and tip the bellman who delivered my lugage to my room.

Its not a matter of is it worth it - It is a matter of convenience.

Michael