Foreign Currency in Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several people have said to wait and get cash on arrival at Bangkok airport but I would never travel without some cash. So my question is will it be easy to exchange Canadian currency or should I take either United States cash or Thai Bahts with me. I know Thai Bahts are cheaper to buy there. Any info would be appreciated.
Warrsher
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 04:46 AM

Canadian $ will be easy to exchange at BKK airport. I would change just a little to cover your taxi fare etc. and then use ATMs as needed at banks in the city. Exchange booths at most airport offer pretty bad rates, although, superrich in BKKis better than most.

In reality, you may well get worse rates in Canada but these days, not by much and if you are only looking to change the minimum for your arrival, it will likely not cost that much to get te cash there and save the hassle of seeking out the exchange booths on arrival.
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 04:58 AM

I agree with Crellston. I got Chinese money for cab fare before we landed. Chase bank got it in a day and the rate was surprisingly good.
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 05:31 AM

ATM on every corner in Thailand. IMO, USA cash always the best. Ben Franklin cannot be beaten.
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks to all and yes I took your advice and went online to my bank just now and ordered $100,00 Cad which came to $102.50 and gave me 2340 Baht so one more thing off the checklist. On the XE converter $102.50 can. would give me 2539 baht so it cost me 200 baht or $8.00 well worth it.
Thanks again
Warrsher
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by warrsher
Thanks to all and yes I took your advice and went online to my bank just now and ordered $100,00 Cad which came to $102.50 and gave me 2340 Baht so one more thing off the checklist. On the XE converter $102.50 can. would give me 2539 baht so it cost me 200 baht or $8.00 well worth it.
Thanks again
Warrsher
I agree. Thats not a bad rate and one less thing to do!

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by warrsher
Thanks again
Warrsher
Actually, it cost you $10.50, or 10.5%. Daylight robbery.
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 02:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thursdaysd
Actually, it cost you $10.50, or 10.5%. Daylight robbery.
A glass-half-empty response, I agree with the others. I’ve taken to getting some cash in advance myself these days when I don’t have any left from the last trip, having waited for an atm on arrival in years gone by. I now appreciate 1 less thing to bother with and accept the small extra cost.
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 02:15 PM

You can change a little of your Canadian dollars to Thai baht 24 hours a day at the airports in Bangkok. When you do bring any currency for exchange bring newer currency, no writing on the bills, no dirt or stains. My advice is to bring with you just the larger denominations so you can save room in your wallet. If you arrive around midnight you are limited to the banks available in the arrivals hall and near the carousel. For Suvarnabhumi, if you arrive earlier in the evening or during the day a couple currency exchange booths near the Airport Rail Link have a slightly higher rate. But for changing a 100 bucks at the very best rate or changing at a lower rate the difference is not that much. Yes, just change enough for paying first day spending and cost of transportation. In Bangkok bank run money changers in the city have good hours. Open just about every day and often with hours better than what you might have in banks back home.

This currency chart below is updated frequently. The rates are not fixed. In Bangkok and major cities tourists hit up it is easy to change most currencies to Thai baht. There is a fee to use ATMs for currency. The fee is the same for a small amount or the maximum you can take out. (Know how much money your bank allows per day for withdrawals.) Expect 220 baht ATM fee for a small amount or the maximum you can take out so take out the maximum! When you fly home you can change left over Thai baht to currency you can use at home.
https://daytodaydata.net/

No real commission or big fee to change cash to Thai baht. (FYI. Taxi drivers may not be able to change big bills like 500 baht or 1000 baht notes for taxi rides. Always have some small bills for paying drivers. Some coins are even handy for paying for short rides.) Meter fare is cheaper than a flat rate! (If you forget to get small bills when you pay the toll charges during the taxi ride you can use one of your big bills. Passengers paying toll charges in meter taxis is normal. Or buy something from the Seven Eleven type store at the airport.)

Good luck.

Last edited by SirHalberd; Dec 4th, 2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

All real good advice.
Thanks again and have a good day.
warrsher
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 12:01 AM

rtes aren't fixed but it is so easy to keep abreast of them these days and you'll quickly become aware of what is or isn't a good rate.

It is always a good idea to have a bit of local cash on arrival, regardless of what rate you had to pay. Once settled in you can go to a bank to F/Ex and sort out some more.
beware of the 250 baht surcharge on ATMs though.