Bangkok-Currency Exchange

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm coming into Bangkok late Friday evening (midnight). Are there ATMs in the airport and throughout the city that will allow me to pull out cash from my US bank account? Or should I just visit the currency exchange before I leave and get all the money I need at once?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:40 PM

If you want to pay lots of $$ for your baht, use the currency exchange before you leave. But if you want a fair exchange rate, use ATMs at the airport (and all over Thailand) or one of the many currency exchange windows at the airport and elsewhere. You'll need baht to pay for your taxi so do get some before you leave the airport. There is both a currency exchange booth and an ATM inside baggage claim, as well as a number outside baggage claim.

Make sure your bank knows you'll be traveling and exactly where, as otherwise they may turn off your ability to withdraw money or to use your credit card.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM

rate today is about 31/$1

tons of atm's all over town
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm calling my credit card companies right now.
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Call your bank and tell them you'll be using your ATM card in BKK.
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:02 AM

Make sure that Thailand is not on the high fraud list. This happened to me last summer and my credit union card was declined when I tried to use it to pay my rent in Bangkok. I had even gone to the credit union, in person, as I always do, and told them that I'd be there. They had ok'd the use of the card and noted it in their computer system.. Later I found out that the person who had ok'd it, confessed that she didn't realize that Bangkok was in Thailand. So, I'm just warning you. Had I not had my AmExp card, my Bangkok Bank visa debit card, and a lot of traveler's checks, I wouold have been in a real jam. Happy Travels!
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:15 AM

Guen's story reminds me... all banks and credit card companies have a phone number you can call - collect - from anywhere in the world. Make sure you have phone numbers for your bank and credit card companies. If there is a problem, you can call them and they can turn your card back "on."
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:57 AM

In my case, the card could not be turned on since the credit union would not allow the card to be used in Thailand period. So, had I not been so prepared with other funds, I'd been up s*** creek. Happy Travels!
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Wow, Guen, I've never heard of that! And the credit union employee didn't inform you of that when you told them you'd be in Thailand...
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Kathie...I told her that I would be in Bangkok. We went into her office, as we usually do, and she noted it in the computer that I would be there. I then deposited $2,000 that I had taken out of my Wells Fargo account and driven over to my credit union. I will not use a debit card...overseas... that's linked to my direct deposit monthly salary. The credit union one is not.
So, I was REALLY depending on paying the rent at Emporium with that credit union debit card and then not having to have so many charges on my AmExp card since I was going over to Lily to get my bracelet...and you know that expense.
Oh, while in Paris month before last, my French friend dropped by the apartment I was renting to take me out for dinner. He used his Visa or MC debit/credit card to pay for dinner. That was on a Thursday evening.
Then he came by on Saturday afternoon to take me to a Thai restaurant. He was 45 minutes late arriving...very unlike him... due to having found out that morning that someone had withdrawn 800 Euros cash out of his account sometime between Thursday night and Saturday morning when he noticed the fraud while checking his account on his computer. So, his card was shut down. He said it was good he'd just gotten paid and had some cash on hand. He said that he can't even withdraw 800Euro at one time so he was puzzled. I've also been a victim of fraud...in San Francisco onec...a kind of identity and credit card fraud...so that's why I'm extremely cautious of plastic. Happy Travels!
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Guen, you and I are on the same wavelength. I never (anywhere) use debit cards. Someone can clean out your bank account (and a line of credit if it's attached to that bank account).
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM

Kathie...There was a news report, a few years ago,here in L.A. with a young woman saying how she went to pay her rent to only find out that her bank account had been cleaned out. Fraud had been committed on her debit card. Happy Travels!
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Kathie and Guenmai- what do you use instead of a debit card for ATMs? I have an ATM card and credit/debit card both linked to my checking and savings. Should I open a new account and link the ATM only to that account?
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:43 PM

I have one bank account that I have an ATM card for. Another bank account has a debit card that is used for ATM transactions (I tried to get an ATM only card, but they don't issue one). I use that debit card for ATMs only, no point of sale purchases (that's what is most dangerous). I do always have two bank accounts I can draw from, and the one that has a debit card for the ATM is not attached to the account that gets my automatic deposits. I also always carry two credit cards from two different banks - actually one Visa and one AmEx.

It's also important to know what your bank charges fro ATM use. Most banks charge per ATM use (some as high as $5) and most charge a premium on foreign exchange. There are a few with no premium, but look for one that has a 1% premium. More common are those that charge a 3% premium on foreign exchange.

I do enough foreign travel and withdraw enough money from foreign ATMs that I have opened bank accounts (and closed them) strictly on the basis on their ATM and foreign exchange charges. I have one bank account that my automatic deposits go into and another that I use almost exclusively for foreign travel.
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:15 AM

tnnc2...What I do for S.E. Asia is basically take travelers' checks, cash, 2 credit cards, and my Thai bank-issued
Visa debit card...that way if fraud is committed on it, then I will hopefully be there to straighten things out...unless the fraud pops up after I have left. Then I'll have a Thai friend of mine straighten it out.
When I arrive into BKK, I go to my bank and exchange U.S. cash into baht and deposit it into my Thai account and then I just use the Thai Visa debit card for whatever I need while in town. I can also use it in other countries. I usually pay the rent, my biggest expense, on a credit card.
My credit union stopped issuing just ATM cards years ago. One has to get a Visa or MC debit card....I can't remember which one it is. I seldom use it. But, that's the one I really wanted to be able to use, in Thailand, since it's not connected to my direct deposit, monthly salary check at my main bank. Plus, my main bank charges $5.00 per transaction overseas whereas the credit union doesn't charge anything.
But, too bad Thailand is on the high fraud list so it's blocked. But, I did use the credit union one for a few charges while in Paris, month before last, although I didn't use it in an ATM machine. As for getting cash, I just jumped on the bus and went over to AmExp...as I've done for 30+ years, while in Paris, and exchanged my travelers' checks into cash. The rate isn't bad and I didn't have to worry about possible plastic fraud which to me is worth a lot. Plus, I could cash all the checks that I needed in order to have enough money for the week and not have to worry about money and money issues the rest of the trip.This method has worked fine for me for many decades of travel. Of course I always arrive into a country with enough leftover money to get me through 2-3 days.
Now, if I go to a country where travelers' checks or cash are not convenient, then I'll have to change to Plan B and possibly use the credit union card in an ATM machine if the country is not on the high fraud list. But, I haven't had to use an ATM yet. And I've been vacationing overseas 1-3 times a year since the early 70s. Happy Travels!
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:28 AM

The above should have read..."I haven't had to use an American- issued ATM card yet." Happy Travels!
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:02 AM

I use a DEBIT CARD from my credit union in Thailand and the Philippines pretty often. I have never had any problem with it being declined or have any unauthorized withdrawals.

I only use an ATM with the debit card. I use the ATM when the adjoining bank is still open in case the card doesn't come back they can take it out.

I do notify my credit union before each trip that I will be using it. My credit union pays any fees for the first 5 overseas withdrawals and then it's around $2 each afterwards (never needed more than a few withdrawals anyway.) I always take out the maximum I can get from an ATM.

I only keep a limited amount of money in the credit union account that I use the debit card with. If I needed more than what is in the account I can make a transfer from my bank to the credit union, even when I am out of the country. I don't type my pin# in - I use the "cut and paste" method from a separate source on my FD. I watch my back and clear my history and private data. I use the browser on my own Flash Drive (portable FireFox.) Not absolutely foolproof but it has worked pretty good in lots of countries over several years!

The advice to let your bank know ahead of time is good advice! I have met tourists that didn't do that and they had to do some scraping to get some money.

Travelers checks in Thailand get a tiny bit more than cash. There is a 33 baht commission charge to cash a TC. Only bring the largest $100 sizes or above to cut down on fees. There is an opportunity to change your money over to your home currency at the airport when you fly out.

I usually hear of people getting extra charges for using credit cards for cheap purchases in stores or in restaurants, more than problems with debit cards! For cheap purchases use cash!

Good luck.
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM

Sir, it sounds like you know about the ability of people to clean out your bank account if they get ahold of your debit card and you've guarded against that.

Another reason I don't use debit cards for purchases is that you are not protected aginst false charges to your card the same way you are with a credit card. You can appeal to your bank if there is a false charge on a debit card, but it often takes them a long time to put the money back in your account. With a credit card, you don't have to pay disputed charges.