Is it still safe to go??

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 12:20 AM
Louisa

Is it still safe to go??

Me & hubby are still un-decisive whether it is still safe to travel to Nepal in November this year? Need some comments!

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 04:55 PM
John D. Roberts

Louisa, <BR>Check with the US State Department, they can tell you if Nepal is on the list of safe countries. You will love the place if you go. Do not miss the flight by Mt. Everest it will top a fabulous country

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Andrea

The official website to check is www.travel.state.gov. Look on the right under "Services" and click on "List of current warnings". <BR> <BR>The U.S. gov't issues several types of information - the most serious are "warnings", which recommend that U.S. citizens not visit the country at all. The next most serious are "public announcements", which generally indicate that there are some areas of risk in a country, and the notices detail against whom/where the risk is. <BR> <BR>Nepal has neither of these two levels of warning. There was a "public announcement" issued in May, which was due to expire in September, but it has already been cancelled. The information is still on the site in the section called "Consular Information Sheets".

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 01:05 AM
Gung gung

The situation in Nepal seems to have calmed considerably. Much hinged on the people's acceptance of what really happened in the Royal Palace. By all description, King Gyanendra sounds like a very competent successor. To keep Nepal on a steady course he is going to have to win the people's trust and confidence. Nepalis are a very wonderful and gentle people. I doubt that tourists really have much to fear. You can monitor the situation by logging on to the Kathmandu Post. They have a website that you can locate thru google.com. November is in 6 months and Nepal depends very heavily on the tourist dollars. I am sure that the government is going to tread very, very carefully so as to not incite the people. It is the Maoists who can tip the balance....

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:58 AM
Martin

I am also planning a trip to Nepal this Nov, but the local newspaper reported bombing, fighting and maoist... how true is it? Does anybody has any comments?