Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See Reuters.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 07:53 AM

see the bbc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/5361008.stm
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 07:58 AM

I expect Hanuman and MichaelBKK are there, and maybe orgy. I'll be interesting to see what they have to say.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Just checking it out on sky news right now - local coverage is down
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:38 AM

this has happened before....i don't think it will be any big deal or affect anything....maybe the airport will not open for another year or so....hahaha...the king will take things over to smooth things along
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:53 AM

YIKES! Just confirmed my tickets first thing this morning, and then I read about this. We travel in Feb... looking for a little reassurance!

<font color="green">Cyn</font>
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Hi Guys,

As of right now it has been a peaceful Coup. CNN, BBC, CNBC and even Bloomberg has just been censored off the air so no international news coverage for us at the moment(that's why I'm on the net checking the international news).

Many rumours flying around but wouldn't much more until tomorrow.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:04 AM

cyn, my trip is November and I'm not cancelling. Thailand has been through a number of coups, all peaceful.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:12 AM

I know someone who lives in Bangkok. As of 2332 local time all was quiet in his area which is very close to the Singaporean embassy. He did report hearing some sirens at 2200. Thats it. So far.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:37 PM

I have talked to a few people today, and as of 9:30 am Bangkok time things were quiet in Bangkok, most business were closed, and tourists were being advised to stay in their hotels. The airport is operating. All bars/pubs were ordered to be closed...I feel sorry for tourists who may not be able to get out of their hotels today, but otherwise am not concerned for anyone as generally Thai coups are not violent or have quite limited violence (and are not at all aimed at non-Thais certainly). They were IMO overdue for one as it had been many years since the last one and Taksin was no prince himself...
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Cicerone, it's 8.41 am right now!
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:46 PM

oops - she must mean Hong Kong time!
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Sorry, yes I mean Hong Kong time...
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:10 PM

I woke up today and turned on the TV. I was wondering why just about every channel had a music vidio depicting the kings super duper greatness. I finally reached the Australia network and found out what was going on. when I heard the news I was shocked, strangely No less then 7 hours prior to the coupe d etat, I was in Polotics class at bangkok university. and the topic was Thai politics. One of the powerpoint slides read as follows.

the &quot;vicious cycle&quot; of Thai polotics&quot;

step 1: Government (either cavilian or military} promises democratic reform

step 2: Government is percieved as week, unstable, corrupt. Military overthrows the civilian government (coup d etat)

step 3: Military government reverses democratic reform, suspends constitution, limits freedoms.

step 4: Militery government starts alowing democratic reform or gives power to civilian government.

Go to step 1.

------------
I guess very few people who know about Thai politics are shocked about what happened most say it was way over do.

Im just woried that hisory will repeat itself once again. Students (or those against the militery) will upraise and the military and police will end up killing dozens of people during a &quot;peacfull protest&quot;. This kind of bloody turn of events is usually what gets a civilian democratic governments back into ofice.

yep I remember nodding my head in class thinking, How can Thais be so stupid to let something like this happen again, and again and agian. and 7 hours later its happening again.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:25 AM

Yes, Orgy 7 I felt Thailand was overdue too for another coup. Hopefully this one will be without violent protests or military reaction against peaceful protests.

Latest update I have this afternoon from a friend who went up for few days vacation last night from Hong Kong is that after first being advised by the Penn to stay put at the hotel, by midmorning they said it was fine to go out, so she went to the Jim Thompson house and spent the rest of the day doing some other sightseeing. She said everything is open, although some offices seem to be closed. She has seen soldiers on the street, but she has not seen any tanks. (The Japanese tourists are apparently out photographing the soldiers.) She has not been to the Grand Palace, but the Penn said it was fine to go there, although they advised otherwise staying away from royal residences (due mostly to heavy military/police presence). They also advised staying away from the Thammasat University area and the MBK and Siam Square Malls because those two malls particularly attract younger people and the theory is that the younger people may have more vocal demonstrations.

I also spoke again later today to a work colleague who is in Bangkok and after initially telling me this morning that he was not going to be able to get any work don, most of his meetings were in fact kept on, and he has pretty much had a normal work day and is coming back on the evening flight as scheduled. He is at the JW Marriott and has not seen any tanks in the street other.

Of course it is early days at this point and Thaksin is not back yet, but he does not seem to be rushing back nor making any really loud noises about this, IMO. I think he knew what was going to happen when he left for the UN.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Our trip is not scheduled until Dec 2nd and I feel optimistic that it will not be adversely affected by these developments. Perhaps it will make it even more interesting!? In any case, the best thing to do is keep an eye on the situation as it develops. Its beneficial to read the responses of those of you with closer ties to BKK, so please keep the reports coming as they are relevant!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:35 AM

Hi all,

I am a resident here in Thailand and as thigns stand all is peaceful. I have been working today and many offices are open. The tourists are out and about but unable to vvisit the Palace. I spoke to the British Embassy and they are advising that there is no real threat and to go on as normal. All sorts of rumours abound and some that I have heard is that all Westerners should be in doors, then that the airport was closed and finally that there was a 6pm curfew. I let my staff go home early so they could get home and not worry but as things stand I dont think there is an issue. The only concern is whether Mr Thaksin decides to fight this coup or not. Personally I hope he simply gets on with his life and lets the Thai people elect a new PM.

Anyway, I am sure this will end peacefully although 15 years ago there certainly was blood shed, I only hope the Thais learnt from that.

No major problems at the moment and it seems the army are happy to pose for pictures.

BigT
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 04:34 PM

darn trafic is back to almost normal. yesterday's trafic was the lightest I've ever seen in bangkok, it felt as if I was in a normal city.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Hey orgy, I'd give you an &quot;A&quot; in your politics class!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -