Internet hotel bookings

Jul 20th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Internet hotel bookings

Has anyone used asiarooms, I am looking to book Sala Sumi through them and a few other hotels.

Many thanks.

Jul 20th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Some have reported using it with no trouble.

With any booking site, be sure you are clear on the change and cancellation penalties, as they are usually less forgiving than a direct booking with the hotel.

Also, if you are looking for the best rate, shop around on different booking sites as well as contacting the hotel directly. I've always found that a direct booking with the hotel gives me the best rate and the most forgiving change/cancel policies...I do negotiate with the hotel if I can find a cheaper rate or more included in the same rate on a booking site. Others here say they find the best rates on sites like asiarooms. com or asiahotels.com, but that hasn't been my experience.
Jul 20th, 2005, 01:41 PM

I've never used them, but I have used asiahotels a few times without incedent.

Dave
Jul 21st, 2005, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for tips. I am going to book the flights and then shop around for best hotel prices. I will try Asia hotels.

Any other suggestions of who offer good rates?
Jul 21st, 2005, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Just been looking at Asia Hotels and Asia rooms are cheaper on the hotels I want - quite significantly.
Jul 21st, 2005, 05:37 AM

When I've used a booking portal I've only ever used Sawadee.com who are very slick and efficient, if my experience is typical. But they and others charge the hotel 15%. Why not contact the hotel directly and ask for a 10% discount and a deposit.

I think the assistant general manager is Khun Wi-pa, who has great English.
http://www.salasamui.com/contact.htm
Jul 21st, 2005, 05:44 AM

Sorry. I should have said offer a deposit. Many hotels use sawadee only because they will secure the booking with a payment from the guest, which avoids costly no-shows.
Jul 21st, 2005, 05:50 AM

i have used asiarooms and sawasdee before and both are good. another good one is www.precisionreservations.com whose offers are sometimes far better than others.

my pratice of hotel booking is to first identify my target hotel and then run a search in google.com with key words like "best rate", "last minute", etc. and then go through the first page of the search results. that should give you the optimum results.
Jul 21st, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks John, I have just emailed the hotel. Guess I will have to wait till tomorrow for a reply due to the time difference.

I think I may try this with the other hotels I am looking at.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Well I am now confused. I wrote to hotel directly and the best they can offer me is USD240++ plus taxes. Now I have found on Asiaroom USD185 inclusive of taxes and both include breakfast?

I wrote and told hotel I had been offered a better price on the internet and they reply I got was “Thank you very much for your reply. The price that you found on another internet as you mentioned is cheaper than our price, you may try that internet as I have checked and found that we have never allowed the said rate for another internet agents.

You may try first and check if we receive the request from them”

So what do you think?

Thanks.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 03:05 AM

Typically, booking sites work one of two ways.

One is they buy rooms in bulk from the hotel at a discount rate. The hotel has guaranteed income for x-number of rooms at a very low rate...but that rate is spread across busy and not busy times, so although they could get more for the same room during peak times, that room may not be used during slower times. By selling blocks of rooms across a date range, they are getting revenue in some form for times that they may not have gotten anything at all. The booking company then resells the rooms at higher or lower rates...they can set whatever rate they want. There is often a wholesaler or two between the hotel and the booking site retail customers use.

Another way the booking sites may operate is on a request basis. They advertise a rate, the customer requests a room from the booking site at that rate. At that time, the booking agent contacts the hotel for availability. They may have an agreement about how low the rate can be, what it can include, and payment/change/cancellation terms. The only advantages to the hotel for this system are in the form of exposure...customers soon recognize the hotels that are found on many booking sites...and in an up front payment for the room with very strict cancellation penalties, which protects the hotel from no show revenue loss.

Since they say they have not allowed that rate to any internet agent, I suspect that asiarooms.com is offering rooms they bought from a wholesaler, if in fact, they can give you that rate. It's possible that asiarooms.com will reply to you that the rate is not available after all, but a higher rate is what they can offer at this time. I've had that reply lots of times from various booking sites.

It seems the hotel is suggesting that you go ahead and try to book at that rate, and they expect that asiarooms.com will then request the room from them...if it works, it's ok is my understanding...

Also note that asiarooms.com has a cancellation penalty of the cost of 1 night is you cancel less than 7 days before check in day, and there is also a fee applied if you modify your reservation...maybe it said $5 for changes.

If it turns out that asiarooms.com has that much of a better rate, I'd take it. It would be the first time for me that a booking site beat out direct booking.

Maybe what I'd do is e-mail asiarooms.com and ask them to check availability only without charging you and get the rate and terms clearly from them. Then take that to Sala Samui and ask for a match again. If you use asiarooms or any other website, be sure you confirm your reservation with the hotel and have your printed receipt with you when you check in.
Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:54 AM

I have often found that the internet booking services can give me a better rate than the hotel will.
Jul 24th, 2005, 01:24 AM

I have just used Asiarooms for Bali for 2 different bookings. I used Ebookers for the other booking. We are moving around quite a bit and going off diving in the middle. Asiarooms worked out much cheaper than the hotels directly and when the Sofitel eventually replied I had already booked through Asiarooms. I emailed and thanked them for their quote and mentioned that I had booked elsewhere and they replied that they were holding my booking and looking forward to seeing me. I reckon I have got an amazing deal and saved a huge amount of money. Asiarooms were also able to offer me a better grade room than what the hotel could do which was interesting. Hope this helps.
Jul 24th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your replies, I think constantraveller you made me make up my mind. Knowing that you have used them and got such a great deal.
Jul 24th, 2005, 05:19 AM

Up until just a couple of weeks ago, I had always worked out the best deal directly with hotels. If I found a better deal on the internet, I would write to the hotel directly and they would always match it or beat it. Not this time.

I was looking to book the Davis and the Metropolitan for an upcoming stay in Bangkok. Although I found much cheaper rates on asiahotels and asiarooms, the hotels would not match them and said if I wanted that special rate, I would have to book through the discounters. Asiarooms turned out to have the very best deals and I booked with them. Hope everything goes well.
Jul 25th, 2005, 12:42 AM

i've just used asiarooms to book a hotel in hong kong and asiahotels for a hotel in shanghai. i found asiarooms to be the more user-friendly website of the two, with more competitive rates, but opted for asiahotels for shanghai as their offer included breakfast, unlike that of asiarooms. also, asiahotels gives one the option of using amex. portions of the asiahotels site seem to be powered by the hotelsclub site, which JamesA mentioned in another thread.
Jul 28th, 2005, 01:40 AM

Couple of points, if surfing for Asia do look at Yahoo as it includes a lot of Asia based sites that just don't appear on others, I find Yahoo has a lot more Asia based sites.
Always shop around, within Thailand I stick with any of those tied in with Sawadee/R24 and go thru the 'local' ones so I get more local info and more precise, if I want a luxury places in Thailand I go to www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com as they specify luxury and boutique place and nice pics and suggestions, for Patong I would go straight to www.patong-beach-hotels.com ( example, you would find both on Yahoo but not on Google!), for Hua Hin and Thailand general I use huahin.20m for very big choice, also new places, the lux plus the low budget and cheap, now, for Australia or Far East Hotelclub I think are great, efficient, and you earn extra discounts on subsequent bookings. Deffinately for Australia, China etc they have come up great. I like Nongasia too as they have different suppliers by region, e.g Sawadee/R24 for Thailand ( and Malaysia now too ), but for Singapore they go thru Hotelclub, same for Oz etc.
Shop around.