Bangkok Information

Search

Bangkok Information

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok Information

Hi there, im just new here but ive seen a few of the posts put up.
What i was wanting to know is about bkk.
First time going in 2 weeks time for 4 days. We are staying at the marriot resort and spa and read the reiews that its meant to be quite good.
What iformaton i wanted to know is what bkk is like. is there info i need to know before going, like what to do, what not to do, what i must see, what i mustnt see, where the dodgy places are! Im really not going for the tourism side more to do shopping. Are there particular places which are great. the only thing i may be interested in doing is an elephant trek. is it recommended or does it take a while to get there as i believe it is just out of bangkok city or something.
Again im up for any hints and its my first time going. we are two girls 20 years wanting to have a really good time.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:09 PM

bangkok is a huge city so it is best to have a loose plan in your mind before you go....there is tons of shopping, but it is spread out...so if you told us your sizes and the kind of things you are interested in we might be able to help...

you will love the marriott...there is no shopping there really except in their mini mall, most of which is custom made items...there are a few stalls at nite to buy local things...

there are huge shopping centers....much of what they have is available where you live and perhaps for a cheaper price....the markets are where things are cheap....they are sometimes frustrating as it is hot and crowded...

i would forget the elephants this time...too far away with only 4 days to spend...concentrate on your shopping...

there are 3 or 4 sights which you might want to do:

grand palace
wat pho
wat arun
jim thompson house

also a long boat klong tour which the marriott can arrange for you or you can hire at taskim pier--the skytrain stop...

the jim thompson outlet on soi 93, sukhumvit rd is very worthwhile to visit...take skytrain to on nut station and then walk or take a taxi to soi 93---great savings...

let us know what you like and we will all suggest possible shopping places for you....

there are really not any doggy places in bkk....the nana area and patpong area are adult entertainment areas frequented by men, but tourists go there to enjoy the party as well...two women will be very safe...of course this is an international city and you have to watch yourself like you would in ny or london or paris...
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Do a search on this site for posts about Bangkok and you'll finds hundreds of threads talking about Bangkok - hotels, food, shopping, etc. IF you have specific questions, ask.

Do you really want an elephant trek or do you just want to ride an elephant? If you really want an elephant trek that will be your 4 full days.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

hi there, thanks for the information, i will read thru the posts.
As the for the elephant thng, just a ride, but im keen to miss it.

As for the local transport what is that like. Is it quite easy to get around.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

hi there again, sorry for the qstns, but as for the public transport.
About taxis ... are they easy to use, are the people friendly, how do we know if we are getting ripped off, or what shall we look out for so people arnt scamming us. Sorry for the stupid questions but you guys have some pretty good info. If you can just give some general tips it would be great. thanks
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 03:56 AM

I find that the skytrain is the best way to get around the places I always seem to frequent. Once in a while, I opt for a taxi. Be SURE to get a taxi with the METER ON. Ask before you set foot into the taxi. Some drivers will want to take you to a jewelry store or tailor (they get commission) and you must insist that you do not want to go there!
I enjoy a tuk tuk ride although it is sometimes a hair raising experience!! Negotiate price before stepping in. And again, insist on getting to your destination. If not, tell the driver to STOP and then GET OUT. We've had to do this before.
Sky train covers the major areas of the city from the river to the weekend market. From the Marriott, you can take the shuttle boat to the Saphan Taksin skytrain station and start from there. It's air conditioned and quite comfy! It gets crowded sometimes, but you should get a seat, having started at the beginning of the route at the river.
Enjoy!
Carol
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 05:47 AM

I use taxis all the time. I do insist that they use the meter. That's the insurance that you aren't getting ripped off. I never take tuk tuks. Since I always stay on the river, I also take the water taxis (Chao Praya Express) - very cheap and scenic.