Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Baan Sukhothai Hotel and Spa in Patong Beach wants more money

Baan Sukhothai Hotel and Spa in Patong Beach wants more money

Jul 27th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Baan Sukhothai Hotel and Spa in Patong Beach wants more money

We have reached the first hiccup in planning our Xmas trip to Thailand. After charging a nonrefundable deposit to Visa and emailing a booking confirmation to me, the Baan Hotel and Spa says they posted too low a rate, and
has cancelled our reservation. They said they would refund our deposit. Although I have dealt with "misplaced" reservations, I have never had a contract broken. Do we have any options?
Jul 27th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Thailand has consumer laws, just like most other countries. I'd email the Hotel and tell them a deal is a deal and you will contact the relevant Thai Govt. department (search google for name of dept.)and request assistance with your dispute.

If you are unsuccessful or can't be bothered, after a bit of research, you could make a point of telling Baan Suk that you have posted regarding their lack of ethics on the net as a warning to others. Thailand (particularly Samui) is getting lots of business that previously went to Sri Lanka. Cashed up British & European package tourists who'll pay top dollar for a safe, risk-free (weatherwise)holiday.
Jul 27th, 2005, 05:14 PM

Personally I wouldn't want to stay at a hotel that did that. Doesn't bode well for their idea of customer service. I consider yourself lucky anf fine another place.
Jul 27th, 2005, 05:24 PM

Agree with glorialf...I'd just take the refund and look elsewhere. If I ended up with my original rate after a fight, I'd worry that they wouldn't treat us well because of it. If I agreed to pay the increased rate, I'd be upset about it. Either way, I don't think I would have a good stay at a place that did this to me.
Jul 28th, 2005, 02:45 AM

I would take a refund for one simple reason, I honestly am not at all keen on the Baan Sukhothai! It is right on Soi Bangla bang in the nightlife area which I guess is fine if you want to be steps from the bars and discos into your hotel but otherwise unless you really want to be in suhc a prime nightlife area I can think of many many others such as the Thara Patong or the Patong beach Hotel which although very close to nightlife I just a 'little' off to one side, also both much nearer the beach. Club Andaman is walking distance to nightlife but is very quiet and having been built as one of the first still retains huge gardens and grounds which many never one's dont, the H/Inn and the Patong Merlin also nice choices. Coconut Village and Duangjitt are super good value for money, walking distance to nightlife but again closer to the beach. There is such a very large choice in Patong including many smaller boutique style places, wide choice, I would re-look personaly, try www.patong-beach-hotels.com, take a look at the Thara Patong, nice place and close to the beach.
Jul 28th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your insight. Since we are diving every day, I think I'll follow James advice, and try to find something quieter. I was just a bit peeved after all the friendly and helpful coomuniques I've had with Thailand.
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Meadobay, if it makes you feel better you will always find 'great' service in Thailand, I am sure this was nothing more than some clerical error where someone forgot to click in a room rate for correct dates or some minor error that resulted in the wrong rates, nothing intentional, just an error, a nuisance, but don't let it put you off! If you are going to do a lot of diving and hust need say a/c comfort, mini-bar, tv, restaurant, bar within easy waling to everythere places like Cocounut Village are pure vacation/holiday standard resort hotels with great value for money, it's probably a safe bet that you will find a more suited place, cheaper, and then say to yourself 'wow, sure glad that happened! There is a great deal to the Thai philosphy that the normal response to someone dropping a whole pile of plaes in a restaurant in an instant outburtst of histerical laughter !
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Here's a direct link for Coconut Village, B 2,900 Dec 23-Jan 09 highest rate period, including tax, service and breakfast.
Note in advance that for Christmas and New Year Eves virtualy every single hotel will have a compulsory Gala Dinner, Show and Party, Coconut charges only B 80-0 for Christmas Pary and B 1,400 for new years which is downright cheap compared to most, for absolute Peak Season USD 75 twin is a bargain! It's a couple of minutes stroll to tyhe beach at the south part of Patong, lots of gardens, palm trees, this is 3-star, but perfect for a nice vacation holiday hotel near the beach and close to everything, 10 minutes along the busy beach road to nightlife but restaurants and shops start within a few minutes.

http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...lage/pictures/
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Check 'Club Bamboo', this is small boutique style place in the Patong Hills, 5 mins to center, lovely little place, well managed. Worth a look.
Jul 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM

having been in patong last month, i am surprised that they would do this...but i would never want to stay there after trying to hard arm them...i.e. worst room in the place...

they are crying for customers in phuket...any place else would be glad to have you and at a bargain

Search this Thread