Internary Suggestions

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internary Suggestions

Kathie (or anyone else),

I've read several of your comments and you certainly seem well-versed in SE Asia. That being said, what kind of iternary would you recommend for around 17 days. We were planning to spend 2-3 days in BKK, 2-3 days in a beach in Thailand, 5 days in Cambodia, and spending the remaining time in Burma. However, we would like a second option due to possible closing of the borders there (coup). Any recommendations? We were thinking, perhaps, Northern Thailand or Laos but haven't picked out anything specific.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:40 AM

Spend more time in BKK, even if you're going to Myanmar for a week. BKK is a magical place. It's endlessly fascinating. Stay on the river in BKK.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:09 PM

I agree with Gpanda - your time in Bkk is very short. Even if you are not a big city person Bkk is enjoyable - plus if you fly in and out of Bkk (which is prob the best connected hub of all you have mentioned) u will lose days and may not effectively even get the 3. I would increase Bkk to a minimum of 5, do Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) in 4 which is a very comfortable pace to see most of the major temples, spend 3-4 days in Luang Prabang in Laos and spend the rest of your time at a beach in Thailand.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:17 PM

I like hobbes suggestions. I'd say that you are trying to pack too much into 17 days. Burma alone is worth at least two weeks, so you may want to save it until later (especially with the coup and the uncertainty of border closures).

A combination of Bangkok, Siem Reap (Angkor), Luang Prabang or the Golden Triangle and a beach would still be a lot, but do-able. Remember that each time you change locations you "lose" most of a day by spending it in airports, etc. You'll appreciate more time in Bangkok. In 17 days, I, personally, would restrict myself to three locations, but you could do four if you don't mind feeling a bit rushed. If you want to opt for just three loactions, I'd drop the beach. The beaches in Thailand are nice, but they aren't as exceptional as the other experiences you'll have there.

Think of this as your first trip to this area - if you are anything like the rest of us on this board you'll be back again and again.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we'll fly in BKK and spend 4 days there to sightsee and adjust (my husband is been there before but I have not). Then, we'll spend 4 days in Siem Reap. Any hotel/guest home recommendations? I was talking to a travel agency about doing 6-7 days in Burma but only seeing 2 cities (so we don't feel rushed). So, we'll do that or the golden triangle area and save the beach for another time...
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 03:28 AM

Reiem Reap Hotel,
A boutique hotel,not too large.
We had a wonderful stay there last March at the Pansea Angkor. Great buffet breakfast,nice rooms,friendly staff,and a refreshing pool to cool off,after sight seeing.
Their site is www.pansea.com.
Wish I could be back again.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:23 AM

hi can i piggyback on this thread? I'm off for only a 12 day trip, and so far will land in BKK for 3 nights, then to Ko Samui for 3, Luang Prabang for 3, then back to BKK for last 3 nights. (Around Christmas/New Years).

Question: Beaches are nice, but some part of me says: beaches are beaches, why not substitute something more interesting for Ko Samui? (I've been to Angkor and loved it). Any suggestions for those 3 days, fellow travelers?
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:25 AM

oops, re: my last message: i've done northern Thailand too. So am pondering out of the way places, or Phnom Penh, or??
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Sandra, I don't know what yr budget is but you could also check out the Shinta Mani. I have posted earlier re the hotel (www.sancturayresorts.com) and having stayed there and at the Pansea on the diff between the 2.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 05:35 PM

Jim, I'd suggest that if you choose not to go to a beach, you spend those days in and around Luang Prabang. The town itself is charming, and you can spend three days wandering the streets and wats and markets. Out of towm the river trip to the Pak Ou caves is wothwhile, and there are excursions to two different waterfalls that many people do as well as trips to local villages. I spent a week ther and loved every minute. A combination of Luang Prabang and bangkok would be a great contrast.

Another option: You say you've been to northern Thailand, but where in Northern Thailand? If you haven't been to the Golden Triangle area, I'd recommend it highly. It's very differnt from the Chaing Mai area.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 11:31 AM

My friends and I are planning 4-5 nights in Bkk. I read on one of the messages about a catered 2 day boat ride on the river with wat stops. One of my friends does not think she could do 2 days on a boat because of motion sickness. Is there a 1 day trip with meals? Does any one have names and an itinerary?We're staying at the Sheraton Orchid. We would also like to spend one day in the countryside, if boat ride does not work out. Any suggestions? We'll be there at end of April.