inflatable neck/lumbar support for LONG flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be taking a 17+ hour flight to HK. I suffer from lower back problems and was wondering if anyone has ever purchased an inflatable lumbar support? I would also like to buy an inflatable neck pillow. I would like to purchase these online if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 08:02 AM

I've used the lumbar support pillow for years and find it helps enormously. I've tried lots of different neck pillows and finally gave up-- didn't find any of them at all helpful.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 08:28 AM

I couldn't fly without an inflatable neck pillow. I buy the inexpesive ones that are carried at the drugstore- find the more expensive ones too bulky and less supportive. My DH likes the bulkier ones, so I think it is a question of fit. All of them start leaking after about 3 round trips.

I find the key to comfort while wearing them is to NOT recline your seat. Sit up straight and let gravity settle your neck onto your spine and the pillow will keep your head in place.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:08 AM

i suggest pills as an alternative...
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 09:36 AM

I love my grey-colored Samsonite one. It's easy to inflate and when deflating, the air comes out fast. Plus, when I'm not using it, I just stuff it into a zip-lock sandwich bag. I once had one by Kipling that was terrible. Took forever to get the air out and the stem broke after only about two trips.Go on some of the websites...magellans.com distantlands.com travelsmith.com I bought mine at one of those Samsonite outlet stores, I think. But, they sell them at travel stores. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 01:56 PM

For lumbar support I use the Medic-Air Back Pillow from Corflex. www.corflex.com.

It was recoed to me by my physical therapist after a spinal operation. Expensive but worth every dime. Very comfortable support of lower back and lumbar region.

As I side-note, I'd also suggest an Rx sleeping pill for a flight that length - especially if you're in econ class which is brutal on all the airlines.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the helpful information. I ordered both pillows this morning. I will definitely take my ambien along too.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 12:26 PM

I liked the bucky neck pillow on a long flight to Africa. They also make a lumbar pillow; they are filled with buckwheat hulls...hence the name. only down side is they are bulky to lug around.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Since you've already ordered, it really doesn't matter, but I have to echo Guenmai. I also have two of the gray Samsonite and they are very convenient b/c they store flat and I put mine in a zip lock sandwich bag as well. They always sell those nice big cushy looking ones at the airport shops, and they're tempting, but seem to be very inconvenient to travel with.

Since I too will be taking a flight like rbphilly, I'd appreciate whatever tips anyone has. Have read several threads and it seems like the majority agree with Bob....Ambien. Speaking of...I know everyone reacts differently, but generally when is the best time to take it? We wondered if it would be best to take it the night we arrive to assure a good night sleep.

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 04:41 PM

I travel a lot on international business - especially to Asia - so here is my perspective on how I use Ambien. I've done this travel with and without Ambien and I believe the Ambien method works best for me.

First, when I get on the plane I set my watch right away to the destination time so I mentally get used to the time. I also try to sleep as much as I can on the flight. So, I take the pill after the first meal service. But, no caffinated beverages, alcohol or heavy meals throughout the flight.

My goal is to normalize my sleep cycle and body clock right away upon arrival. That is I will take it at 10pm or 11pm (or whatever your normal bedtime is) at the local destination REGARDLESS of what time my body thinks it is. Ambien - at least for me - is very subtile. So, I take it when I am in bed laying down and ready to go to sleep. After a few days of this procedure I will be on local time with minimal jet lag and have no need for additional usage.

Listen, I'm not a doctor so consult one first. Also, I might try a dry run taking this preparation at home to see how you personally react to it. Some people are groggy for a couple of hours after rising. Others aren't. all I can tell you is most of the time my co-wokers/fellow travelers are bleary-eyed and complaining about jet lag and being up at 3 in the morning. And I'm as fit and alert as a fiddle for the 8am meeting or to start touring (if I'm on vacation.)

If you've not had the pleasure of serious jet lag rent Lost in Translation - perhaps the most realistic representation of jet lag I've ever seen.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 05:13 PM
emd

Since we are on this topic, I'll share a second thing that I used my inflatable neck pillow for on our trip to Japan last spring. I inflated it partially and put it around the hook part of a hotel hanger and then slipped over wet tops and shirts that I had washed out in the sink. It acted much like an inflatable hanger, providing space btwn. the front and back of the shirt so air could circulate and it could dry overnight. I felt really travel savvy when I figured this use out...one of those few times when I could relish in my limited travel-savviness.