indonesia earth quakes

Search

indonesia earth quakes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
indonesia earth quakes

Should I be concerned with the earth quakes in Sumatra, as I plan on leaving for Bali this Saturday for 2 wks.???
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:16 AM

It's in an earthquake zone, like much of California, so it depend on how you look at things. Earthquakes, exploding volcanoes and disco are what Indonesia is unjustly famous for!

I would recommend that yo go to Bali(or any where in Indonesia). You probably have more chance of getting hurt in a car accident on the way to your airport then you would from an earthquake in Indonesia.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:34 AM

None of us can predict when an earthquake will occur. As Hanuman says, it's an earthquake zone, just as California. I certainly wouldn't cancel a trip to Bali because of the quake in Sumatra.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I basically agree....just also hope no tsunamis.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:28 PM

andgil, my son arrived in Bali this morning. He will be there for a month.
I will be glad to let you know how things are going ( if he calls his mother) in the 2 weeks before you go..but usually I tend to think this way- It already happened..maybe it won't again for a while..a long while
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Since the first 26th Dec 2004 quake struck north Sumatra, Acheh, seabed quakes have been occuring in Nias islands and the latest coastal Bengkulu - it seems to be moving down south slowly over Sumatra west coast. This trend was also seen in volcanic eruptions in Sumatra. Volcanoes are taking turn to erupt, heading southward. I reckon the domino effect will be felt in Java and Bali in the next few years.

Indonesian islands are part of the "Pacific ring of fire". Mind you, Beratan Lake in Bali can be beautiful but it is actually a blownout volcanic crater.

I've been to Bali umpteen times. The place is just too fabulous to let tremors cow me. I'd just avoid staying in high rise hotel.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 11:17 PM

I lived in California for 10+ years and I've been in Indonesia since 1995, so my feeling toward earthquakes is that you have to "roll" with the punches. We do get shaken up here quite frequently and it IS unsettling.

I never heard the theory that the action is moving eastward. It seems to me that the earthquakes are fairly well distributed throughout the archipelago.

In all, I'd say the risk of being hurt or inconvenienced by an earthquake is very very low. Not zero of course, but very unlikely.