Indian going to India, never been to the North - planning 2 weeks N+S

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family lives in Kerala and I am taking two of my friends to India for the first time. I have never traveled in North India, but am familiar with Kerala. I am trying to organize a trip that allows the three of us girls to see the highlights in N India - I *think* I have narrowed it down to Delhi - Jaipur - Agra - Varanasi- Cochin. I'd like to spend 6-7 nights in the north, and the remaining 7 nights in Kerala. We are going in mid-end of May. Appreciate any insights/answers to my questions about North India:
1) I know this is not a great time to go with the weather but this time happens to work out for the 3 of us in terms of our work schedules, and correlates with my parents' stay in Kerala. Is the weather in the north SO bad that we should consider not going and waiting for Nov/Dec 2010? I have heard it is a dry heat up north. I looked up temps, looks like average temps are around mid 90s, which we can have in NYC in Aug so what's the big deal I wonder?
2) I'd like to have a tour guide while in the North, with car and driver, airport pickup in Delhi and help in booking hotels. So not a rigid tour package but some tour guide and travel agent support. I have seen some recommendations for one or the other - any company or group you would suggest that would help with both? Any feedback on "india by car and driver"? Are prices at hotels better if booked by local travel agent as opposed to from the US directly?
3) I have collated recommendations from this site on hotels in Delhi and Agra, any suggestions for Varanasi and Jaipur? We can go luxury if it's worth it/special, like with the Oberoi in Agra, but are looking for reasonable, well situated, comfortable hotels.
4) Any comments on the suggested itinerary? From North, we will fly to Cochin, spend 1 night in Cochin and then stay 3 nights with my parents, 2 hours from Cochin near Kottayam/Allepey. From there we will spend 2 nights at a Kumarakom resort, like Coconut Lagoon. Let me know if you have any ideas/feedback on this.

Really appreciate the Fodors community, thanks in advance for your input.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 07:18 AM

In May last year, in parts of Northern India, the temperature reached 46F. That's 115C. I was there.

So what's the big deal you wonder? Go sit in a sauna for a couple of days and we'll discuss. lol.

So, you're thinking of Delhi - Jaipur - Agra - Varanasi in the first six days? Err... <i>maa-a-aybe,</i> just maybe you'll find that a bit pointless, unless you're going to India specifically to visit the airports.

Search in here on Varanasi and Jaipur for hotels. It's been much debated. Use the little box up on the right top. But if you're really planning on doing this shlep, better go upmarket if you can, use their transfers, guides and live in an Oberoi bubble. With a potential itinery like that, you'll only get a day to sightsee in each place, so best to make life as easy as you can.

You can book hotels on any number of websites. Totally easy.

You could drop out Jaipur and make your life easier: I reckon flying is your only chance of seeing everything.

www.flykingfisher.com

flights to Agra may be cancelled in the off season. I couldn't find any on that site.

So you'd arrive Delhi, recover, drive/train to Agra, one night, drive/train back to Delhi then catch a plane to Varanasi then direct to Mumbai/Kochi.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for such a quick reply. I appreciate the candor. Ok, Jaipur is off the list. I guess I am naively hoping to get lucky on the weather issue. We will also stick with flying, except with the drive to Agra. So in terms of drivers/cars, we need to line them up for the time we are in each city, starting with pick up from airport. Thanks much, dogster.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 07:44 AM

My pleasure. Get some opinions in here before you decide tho' - everybody has a little agenda. Only YOU can know what is cool for you and your pals.

www.savaari.com is one of many sites that will show you how to organise a car and driver.

Check out their site: http://savaari.com

The other option is to lose Varanasi and simply do the Golden Triangle. Delhi/Agra/Jaipur - but you're up for five-ish hours driving from Agra to Jaipur. Me? Choose between Jaipur and Varanasi? No contest. Varanasi.

Check out these car-rental tours for ideas.
http://savaari.com/user/car-packages...r=2&city_id=36

The great thing is that you're Indian, so you probably won't stick out like all the rest of us poor thumbs. You'll be a lot less of a target.

Here's another accomodation option:
www.mahindrahomestays.com
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Oh, before I forget. As much as possible, organise your transfers in advance thru your hotel. You might pay a little more, but, trust me, it's worth it. The most 'dangerous' parts of your trip are transport to and from airports.

'Dangerous' in the sense that, if something is gonna go wrong, the likelihood is that it will happen in transit. No, you won't die, lol. Or be kidnapped - but NEVER leave an airport without knowing there's a man with a sign waiting outside.

Or get a pre-pay from the counters. DO NOT exit without this, particularly in Mumbai! AND Delhi. I once spent two hours driving around Delhi looking for the Oberoi - WITH a pre-paid fare.

Trust me on this.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Hi MizMV,

First, i totally understand about the weather and the necessity to go at a convenient time for you. I'm in the same situation this yr, in June,and will "head for the hills" after an initial few days in ND and Agra. But...ya gotta do what ya gotta do, in terms of your schedule.

I was in Kerala in December, so can't personally speak to the weather in May--but I suspect it is hot and even more humid than NYC?? Not sure of this, so do check with family and/or Wunderground or similar site.

I was in Delhi in July and do not recall heat that was any worse than a hot summer day in NYC..but again, that may have been an unusually cool summer...or more resilient youth (which you and friends possess). Now, I am preparing myself for (and fearing) the sauna/steam bath that Dogster described.

For the stay in the area nr your parents, I'd recommend Philip Kutty's Farm. Wonderful place!! Do check its website and others (for reviews). the photos on the website do not do it justice. But if you go in May ,do make sure to write and ask if Anu will be there--the family visits the USA sometimes in Spring. She and her mother in law are great hostesses/owners, and really make the place what it is.
You and your friends will have your own cottage and be treated like royalty . Neither this place nor Cocount Lagoon are far from Kottayam, as you know. It was about a one hour car ride to Kottayam from Philipkuttys --after crossing via small boat/canoe from the island to the opposite shore--part of the charm of the place. ( Incidentally, there's a good Fabindia in Kottayam--not huge, but a great selection and excellent help--your friends will like it. )The only thing "missing" at Philipkuttys is a swimming pool. But no worries, the hoteliers in the area are a close-knit group, and Anu (the owner of PK) will arrange for you to have a day at one of the hotels along the lake (e.g. Coconut Lagoon or the Taj), etc) if you want. In terms of a really special place, I just dont think you can beat this as an option in the area. The price includes three incredible meals, afternoon tea, sunset boat rides, etc and is worth every rupee!! Icidentall, we wanted to see Coconut Lagoon, which again, Anu arranged, and we were soooo glad we had chosen to stay with her and her family, instead of the hotel. the hotel is lovely, and its grounds are worth seeing for sure, but the" farm" (use the word loosely--it is quite elegant, in the most relaxing way) was like Paradise.

Recommendation for a tour planner that can help with arranging car/driver: I emphaticaly recommend Faith Pandian at Indianpanorama. Its a family business that has deservedly grown from local to countrywide. At the very least, check her website, Indianpanorama.in for its photos and travel descriptions and newsletter. You cannot go wrong using her company (IMHO) and in fact, they were just awarded the Govt of India's Tourism Dept award for best inbound travel planner/agency in India.
Since it will be three of you plus driver, you should def'lly ask for a Toyota Innova, instead of a sedan. It's worth the extra $ as it is higher up, very comfortable, and safer (and as you know from having been to India, the latter is especially important--even more in the North.
I'm not sure about other companies, but Faith got better prices on hotels than what i found, doing it myself.

Have fun planning and anticipating!
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Ok, to make the best of my experience, I decided to table this trip for Nov/Dec 2010. I think it'll be too hot and humid for us to really enjoy. I will be back in a few months to finish my planning, thank you dogster and CaliNurse for the feedback and suggestions!
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 09:31 PM

Ok, "see" you back here in the Fall, as you restart planning! I was In Kerala in December and wea MV, ther was gorgeous. Solely from that personal experience, I'd say you are wise to change, if all three of you can change your schedules.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 11:58 PM

<b>MizMV</b>, if you have or can get NRI/ PIO/OCI status (non-resident Indian/person of Indian origin/overseas citizen of India) before your trip, you should do so. (Of course look into any tax implications for doing so, but my understanding is that there are none). This will get you good savings on airfare and usually hotels, as “locals” are charged at a different rate. You also would either not need a visa at all to visit or would be entitled to a different visa to enter India and can use the PIO entry lines at Immigration (where lines are shorter). It can also get some entry advantages to places like Bhutan (e.g., you can cross the borders by land rather than having to fly). See the website for the US Embassy in New Delhi, and the Indian Embassy in Washington DC at http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/acsdualnation.html and http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/poi.asp, respectively, for some information. the Indian consulate in Hong Kong also provides information which may be helpful see http://www.indianconsulate.org.hk/main.asp, click on the menu and under “Consular Services” choose OCI and PIO cards”.

If you can’t get any status, then to the extent possible, see if family members in India can make bookings for you and possibly negotiate some better rate. In my experience, having a local person make these kind of arrangements often works out better.

While I think it’s a great idea that you changed this to a fall trip, as weather is so good virtually every, I would just note that April and May are the hottest times of year in north India. The monsoon breaks in late June, bringing cloud cover, rain and lower (relative) temps. It is still hot in June and July, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not the brutal, cloudless, dry heat you get in April and May. (Dogster’s temps above are reversed: it can easily be 46 <i>Celsius</i>, which is about 115 Fahrenheit.) I have also been in Delhi on several occasions in similar heat. It is punishing. If you have to go at a hot time, then June and July are better than the spring months. September and October would also work as well. October is more shoulder season, and you may find hotel prices to be lower, but weather is still pleasant. Same with March.