Indian Dress

Aug 11th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Indian Dress

Has anyone bought a salwar kameez in the U.S.? I wanted to go over with one or two. I'm sure they are cheaper in India, but I don't know how much time I'll have to shop.
Aug 13th, 2006, 06:28 PM

I've been watching this post for a reply because I wondered the same thing.
I am going to make a trip to our local Little India this week & plan on purchasing at least one.. I'll let you know how much it cost me.
Aug 14th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, impacked. I've seen several on line, but wasn't sure about the fit, et cetera.
Aug 14th, 2006, 09:50 PM

Be prepared to pay roughly 2 to 3 times more in America for quality that is 2 to 3 times worse than that available in India. Indian stores and restaurants in America are, by and large, sweet rip-offs: 5 star prices, 0 star service/product quality.

Aug 14th, 2006, 11:50 PM

FabIndia ships to the US. I checked their website and they have the exact silk blouse that I bought at their GK store in Delhi. I paid $12, on line it is $49 + $15 shipping.

Some of their stuff looked reasonable though ($29 kurtas/ long tunics) and the shipping is waived if you order over $100.

I would just pop into the Cottage Industries Emporium or FAbIndia when you first get in though. they are sold everywhere in the little markets on the street as well.

Sizing is very irregular in India- I found that two of the same item, both marked size L, could be dramatically different- so you really should try it on.
Aug 19th, 2006, 05:51 AM

cjstobbs,

I'm off to Little India today so stand by for my results.
Aug 19th, 2006, 07:19 AM

I actually bought a salwar kameez type top from JCrew this summer (it even has indian style embroidery), along with a super comfy pair of light weight drawstring pants, to wear on the plane. Funny this is, when I was on my return flight I was sitting next to a very animated Indian family. I could tell the two older women were looking at me and commenting on the fact the I was wearing Indian style clothes. They weren't exactly subtle.

Tell us what you find in your local Little India.
Aug 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM

Well, after a hour+ roaming Little India I came home with nothing. I etiher did not like the color, fabric or fit. But, to answer to your question the prices were anywhere from $35.00 (very cheap looking ones) up to $150 for the more casual styles which I was looking for. After I realized I would have to pay at least $60 I figured I would only get one if I thought it was really good looking. Like you I wanted to be able to put one on my first morning there but I'm sure it won't take long to find one once we put our feet on India.
Aug 20th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Hi cjsobbs and impacked,

I had great luck buying online from www.eshakti.com and www.zapelle.com (same company--different collections. The are a bit more western inspired than strict Indian wear, but works much better for the non Indian woman. Everything is made in India and shipped within 10 days. The have XS to XL and you must order one size more than you regularly order. You can also order to measure for no more money. Lastly, you can specify what neckline, sleeve and pant type you would like. Cost for a very nice Salwar outfit is around $50 and free delivery.

I believe the one of the reasons that the Maharaja of Jodhpur invited us to sit with him at his polo club is because I was wearing an eshakti.com outfit. He mentioned he it looked nice and appreciated my wearing Indian wear (although he was in western wear, including a cowboy-type hat!). See the top and shawl (I wore my own pants): http://ceourl.com/Jodhpur

Anyway, I recomment this company and I'm picky. BTW, they take anything back without question even if you have specified a specific sleeve, neck etc.
Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:15 PM

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked out the web site and found there was a much better selection than what I found in Little India. Now just to choose one!
Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I had found many websites, but was very unsure about quality, etc.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 10:19 PM

Dear Boston Harbor,
Most of the items on eshakti.com were polyester. Have you tried polyester in India. I would think it would be a problem because it doesn't breathe. Have you bought a polyester item? Is it better to buy the cotton items, or are the polyester ones OK? You are right. They are beautiful!!
Nov 17th, 2007, 05:59 PM

topping
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:00 PM

That's a good idea, to buy a salwar kameez before you go. I might do that as well.
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM

PS BH-I just looked at the collection at eshakti.com-yeah, this is DEFINITELY what I'm looking for, and a great price as well!
Nov 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM
wj1

Boston Harbor:

I have been trying to access you photos from this thread as well as from your trip report but your links don't work for me. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Nov 19th, 2007, 04:39 AM

Is a salwar kameez the pants outfit Indian women wear? (long top, loose fitting pants)

When would you wear this on your trip? Temple visits? Dinner? Anytime?

We will be in India next Spring but all this clothing stuff is new to me.

Ericka
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Yes, plus scarf, which can be worn several ways, seldom over the hair, except in Rajasthan.

Yes, you can wear the outfit anytime, but if you're going to wear one to dinner in an upmarket place it should be fancier than a daytime one. Again, in Rajasthan, which goes in for very fancy fabrics, the more elaborate the better.

You're not going to blend in whatever you do, but wearing a salwar kameez, especially with the scarf over your head, would help, at least from behind! I never had the nerve to try a sari, I expected it would fall off.

Nov 19th, 2007, 06:45 AM

I definitely think cotton is the way to go, however, polyester might not be bad at all, in the winter. The only problem I'm going to have with ordering is that I'm a petite size, so I guess some alterations will be in order. I have my eye on that cotton light blue/creme herringbone pattern, for one.

If you are having trouble accessing the link, why not just try typing it out-that might work.
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Erika- there are several variations of the salwahr kameez, but one thig is that they are ALWAYS worn with a dupatta or scarf.

Normally it is worn the opposite of the way a scarf is worn in the US- the loose ends hang behind you, and the halfway point/fold is centered between your breasts. I had problems keeping mine on until an India mother told me you can cheat with pins on the shoulder!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO