INDIA Visa Changes: Alert to any potential travelers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a heads up for anybody planning a trip to India in the near future and thinking of a side-trip to anywhere else. There have been some sudden, unexpected changes to the tourist visa rules. Best to be aware.

in brief:
http://goindia.about.com/b/2009/12/0...visa-rules.htm

in ongoing detail:
http://www.indiamike.com/india/india...ntries-t96729/

one of many:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8427798.stm

I know no more than this. I'm just the messenger.
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info dogster! Your sources are really confused over whether the new rule applies only to long-term tourist visas, or to 180-day visas. Of course, you can never guarantee that a border guard will implement a policy the way the government intended, but here is what it says on the Indian embassy website (US, and bold added):

New rule - <b>long term tourist visas(5 / 10 years )</b>

‘There should be a gap of at least 2 months between two visits to the country on a Tourist Visa. In case of requirement to visit the country within 2 months, permission should be sought from the Head of Mission concerned. In such cases, registration would be required within 14 days of arrival.’

From the BBC piece it seems this is another travel annoyance we can chalk up to terrorism, in this case "David Headley, a Pakistani American, is said to have travelled to India several times last year to help identify targets for the attacks".

So, I HOPE I can still go India-Sri Lanka-India without spending two months in Sri Lanka, but who knows!
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Yup thurday, it's a mega-confusion - and a real issue for all of us. The problem is NOBODY seems to know and I'm not too keen on lobbing off to India with the possibility of being denied entry. The epic indiamike post is mind-boggling.

Assuming you have a ten year multi-entry visa, by the look of it, you're cactus.

BTW - those with side-trip travel plans to Nepal should be aware that it seems about to explode again with an indefinate bandh [lock-down strike] set for February 1st 2010.
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great! I was thinking of Central Asia - China - Tibet - Nepal - India - Sri Lanka for next year.... Of course, I'm way behind on starting the planning for that!

Do you have a ten year visa?
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Nope - In essence Australians can only get a six-month multi-entry visa. Renewal only possible when you've returned home.
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Well, I hope everyone traveling to India will keep us updated on this new visa situation.

Dogster, I was reading about what is going on in Nepal yesterday. I'm so sad to see it.
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the links Dogster!

Currently I have a 10 year visa which is good until 2012. After that? Who knows what they will approve.
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 01:12 PM

I got a 10 year visa about 2 years ago. Thanks for the heads up, as I'd hate to get there and be sent home!!
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM

Yikes! Need to go find my OCI application ...
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Dear sir,
I have a valid X Indian visa(not a tourist visa), I plan to visit India by next week and then go to Srilanka to meet my friends and come again to India. I lastly visited and stayed in India upto 9th December. Now 2 months not over. Can I go to India or not?

-Ramanathan
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Hiya Ramanathan - I wish I could tell you. I'm not the expert - just passing on the source information I can find.

I'm trying to understand it all myself. You don't say where you are now or what your nationality is - but I think you need to make some phone calls to your nearest Indian Embassy or go to their website [and print out what you see].

I wish I could help you. It's very confusing and stressful. It's always best to go directly to the nearest official source - never trust a stranger on the internet with something important like this.

Don't panic, yet though. There will be many, many people in your situation. Read everything very carefully. Even though your English is very good, try to find details in your mother language.

Of course, the Indian authorities can do anything they want, at any time. It is their country. We must all respect that.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Dear Sir,

I am a British Passport, Srilankan born. The Indian official web page not clear about this. Only romours and not exactly from when the rule applies, whether it is only for Tourist visa, then what about other visa holders.

thanks
Ramanathan
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Just my opinion, but I think the Indian authorities may select who they apply this new ruling to. I doubt they will enforce it among the typical western tourists and business people. I think they WILL enforce it among "travellers" whose purpose in India (leaving and then returning quickly) is not so clear and credible.

There is too much for them to lose to make it difficult for tourists to otherwise travel in and out of India.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Heya Ramanathan,

If you have a British passport then contact the Indian High Commission in London.

http://hcilondon.in/index.php

Visa Queries : [email protected]
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 09:05 AM

Need some advice. We didn't know about this rule and my wife (10-yr multiple entry visa on US passport) is already in India visiting some friends for 4 days. My daughter and I are traveling to Kuwait tomorrow and my wife will fly to Kuwait on Dec 31 to join us. Then we all travel to India on Jan 4. The 2-month rule would apply to her. They stamped her passport noting the 2-month rule. She didn't ask them what her options were.
Travisa says that nothing can be done here if she's already in India. Our options are 1. have her go to the Foreigner Registration Office to see if they can help, 2. ask the Indian Embassy in Kuwait to see if they can provide an exemption or 3. take a huge chance and see if the immigration official lets her back in.
The fall back option would be that she wait in India for us.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 09:59 AM

For only a few days in Kuwait and having her passport already stamped, I would have her remain in India and wait for you.

It's already Dec. 28 and I don't think beauracracy will move fast enough to do anyhting for her.

In my opinion, it's not worth the stress of worrying whether or not she can get back into India.

Good Luck.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

'...They stamped her passport noting the 2-month rule...'

Well, I reckon that's it.

It's important to know that none of us are experts on this topic. Jaya is very wise, though and knows her India. I think her advice is pretty spot on at this point. Check your wife into the nearest Oberoi or Taj. At least you know she'll be safe and taken care of with easy and efficient communications.

How difficult for you. How very stressful.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Fayez if the purpose of your visit is India I would probably have your wife wait there for you. That would be the safest thing. I cannot imagine how stressed I would be if I got to India & they let my husband & daughter in but would not let me back in....& I don't even have a daughter!! I don't know if I am totally reading these "rules" correctly but I think ultimately the Indian gov is going to loose business by enforcing them. For example on one of our previous trips that included India we had an itnerary that was 1 week in India 1 month in Nepal & then 1 month in India. The purpose of our trip was really Nepal so if we had to make a choice we would not have gone back to India but would have chosen a different SEA destination for that month.