india visa application process in USA

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
india visa application process in USA

i have just been told of the worst possible stories of delays in having visas processed in the usa for travel to india...

what experieces have you had: good, bad or what...

is DC better than NYC??

any delays or lost passports??

will two months be sufficient? don't laugh...the stories are unbelievable...

i plan to mail our passports but am being urged to present them in person...thoughts??

thanks.....bob
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:38 AM

When we were planning our India trip last year (the one that sadly had to be cancelled) my oldest daughter was at college in Carlisle, PA. When I checked with the Indian Embassy website, it stated that you were required to send your visa request to a designated processing office that was based on where you live. In her case it was NYC. She sent it Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested and had it back in less than 2 weeks. Can't say that's the norm, but that was her experience in late Nov last year.
I would be careful not to send it too early because if they process it right away and it's only good for 30 days, it might expire before you travel.

We have rebooked for this Dec. Fingers crossed we get to make the trip!!
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:44 PM

I love living in the Bay Area. I dropped my application off one day and picked it up the next...I suggest a couple of days in San Francisco!
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM

The turnaround on our India visa a couple of years ago was quite short when we did it by mail - maybe a couple of weeks.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 03:02 PM

If you do it by mail, I'm pretty sure your only choice is Washington DC.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Namaste.
Getting a Indian Visa does not have to be difficult at all from the USA.! And no, definately no need to actually and physically go to a Indian Consulate, unless u like self~torture and the occasional run~around.

If u pay a little extra which i do for sanity and ease, there are some great Visa processing places that will do everything for u in record time and u do not even have to deal with the Indian Embassy/consultate/etc,.,U just need to fill out the forms, u can even download them, and send all materials to the agency. The place i Love is ZIERER VISA SERVICE..IT is is not just for getting Indian visas, the place i use in NYC is magic and can do most everything visa/passport~wise, with the exception of changing yur nationality. They do passport and visa services like passport renewal, new passport pages (for those of us who travel too much), etc, etc. They can work wonders with securing difficult visas too, in record time.

The place is in NYC, and if u call them up they will tell u exactly what to do, what to send in, give u cost options as per FEd ex, differnt types of visas, etc, etc, and off u go. The name of this place is Zierer Visa Service! Their toll~free number for those in Fodor~world is 866-788-1100, plus u can check out there website too, it is WWW.ZVS.com The person i usually deal with is keisha, but all are helpful. Last year when i applied for my one year multiple entry Indian visa, i miraculously was rewarded a ten year Indian visa, so i am good to go for the rest of the decade/.hOWEVER, I got new passport pages from them last year, and now i need a new passport, so i will send in before the summer ends myself, and they will easily transfer my ten year Indian visa to the new passport too..Aren't they darlings..
Any questions, drop me a line at [email protected] happy travels and namaste.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Mine came back very quickly...maybe two weeks at most. I got a multi-visit one good for 6 months, as it was the same price as a one stop. Lucky I did, as I went back 4 months later on very short notice!
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Oh, forgot to say. This Visa place i talk about moments before (Zierer Visa SErvice) does the job in a day or two and then will fed ex passport/with visa back to u, so very quick process. They will send u back the passport Fed ex or however u agree upon. All very easy.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 04:06 AM

In the U.S., the embassy and consulates each list jurisdiction over a region of states listed on their Web sites. For example, the NYC consulate lists , Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont and Virgin Islands. I sent my applications to NYC and tracked their arrival last Thursday at the consulate by certified mail. I’ll let you know when I receive them.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 05:14 AM
kdappleton

Just received our Indian visa yesterday after sending application on July 25.
Go to indianembassy.org/consular and download the application. Read it carefully. It is good for six months from issue. Read the little line on the bottom about mail charge. Two visas for six months from the US cost us $134. That did not include the fee for mailing the application and passports by certified mail nor did it include the cost of a Post Office money order for the $134. I took a deep breath putting the passports in the mail, but as I said, everything was back in my hands by August 4, returned to me by the mail service included in the $134. I would not use the commercial sservice mentioned. More money, just as much work, and I can tell you two horror stories of people landing in Moscow and Beijing without proper documentation due to mistakes by the commerical service. Hope you have a wonderful time. I am packing Cipro.

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 01:29 PM

On the application they require 2 refereences in India as well as in your own country. Do people commonly use the names of people connected with the travel agency if you are using one, i.e., if you don't have anyone else in India?
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Yes, use the owner of your travel agency and/or the general manager of a hotel you are staying at for India refs.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Thanks. Easy enough.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:09 PM

I dropped my application and passport off at the Indian consulate in Houston and received everything back by priority mail in a week.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:32 PM

I'm in NYC so I can easily do it in person.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:17 AM

I live in DC and just got my visa in a week. I did use Atlas Visa Services because my company uses them for overseas travel. Their fee was $60 plus $12.50 to FedEx it back to you. I had no problems. Atlas is located in Arlington, VA (technically Crystal City) right outside DC. Good luck. L
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Piece of cake in Chicago. Drop off in the morning and pick it up after 1500. You can also do it by mail. I think, at least here they accept cash only. Just go prepared as such.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM

We mailed ours to Chicago and had a return in less than 2 weeks. Used Priority mail and paid the extra fee to have return by the same means. No problem at all. I think that the tourist visa is good for six months from issue.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

thanks all for the great info....i grew concerned after reading one really bad report...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -