India Travel Help

Old Nov 19th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
India Travel Help

Hi,
I'm in the process of planning a 3 week trip to India and wanted to get some travel advice. Following is our potential itinerary:
Delhi (2 days) - Agra (1 day) - Jaipur (2 days) - Jodpur (2 days) - Udaipur (2 days), then on to Mumbai for a wedding. I have planned 1 day in between each city to account for travel (not included in number of days above), with the exception of Agra, which I'm thinking about doing as a day trip in between Delhi and Jaipur. Would love any advice on the itinerary and suggestions on how to get from place to place...hire a driver, take the train, flights, etc.??

Also suggestions for hotels in each place. We're trying to stay fairly budget conscious and looking at Heritage Hotels mostly ($30-$60 USD per night).

In Delhi, considering Yatri house. In Jaipur, looking at Diggi Palace and Shahpura House. In Udaipur, hoping to stay at Kankarwa lodge, but have yet to get a response back after multiple emails. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on the above or different recommendations.

Appreciate any thoughts/reco's for the trip. Thanks!!
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 11:35 AM

I'd make that 3 days in Delhi and 1 day in Jaipur. Travelling by train is easy. First class is much better than second class, though obviously it costs more. On long trips, travel overnight and sleep on the train. Allow for time in Mumbai before the wedding. Many travel agents do city tours. If you have a chance, book one. Consider buying a Lonely Planet guide.

I would also have gone to Calcutta (Kolkota), stopping at Khajurao on the way. Flying? What do you see from 6 miles up?
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Actually the Taj Mahal is about it in Agra. Keep a flexible schedule and if you find you do a place quick, then you can continue to the next place.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 08:40 PM

You may book Jagat Niwas Palace in Udaipur, the property has nice rooms opening on the lake Pichola & a rooftop restaurant overlooking the waters. Food is good.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 01:30 AM

I strongly disagree with the comment above 'The Taj is about it in Agra'. The Fort, Sikandra, Itimad-ud-Daulah's tomb, Fatehpur Sikiri and Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary. Not to mention the Ram Bagh gardens, and the city itself.
It is difficult for train trips Agra/Jaipur. Car is best. There are operators who can make bookings for all your requirements, even for modest hotels and palaces try [email protected], I have and get good results.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 08:34 AM

I agree with owens comments on Agra. Lots of interesting sites to visit, but I wouldn't bother shopping there.

However, the Shabadhi express is a great train from Delhi to Agra. clean and fast; faster than driving. We took the train to Agra, then were picked up at the station by a driver and guide for the day. Visited all the other sites first, then saw the Taj at sunset and again first thing in the morning.

If you drive from there to Jaipur, visit Fatepur Sikhri on the way. If taking a train, drive there first, then train afterwards.

We drove from Agra to Jaipur. Left Agra at about 9, spent an hour or so at Fatepur Sihkri, then bounced along the road for about 5-6 hours to Jaipur.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 09:08 PM

Unfortunately, on account of failure of rains around Bharatpur catchment, the Keoladeo Bird Sanctuary, well appreciated by all, is dry.The migratory birds have all flown south & I saw a lot of birdlife east of Udaipur, a few days back.