India Safari 2017

Old Oct 26th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
India Safari 2017

I have to date always made all my own arrangements hotels, transfers, care hire etc. etc. including a couple of safari trips to Africa. I am contemplating an Indian safari in March, April or May 2017 and considering using a local operator to put the whole thing together for me as it looks quick complex - driver required (not self driving), permits for parks etc. etc.

So I have two questions:

1) I plan to get quotes and feedback on my own itinerary from two to three companies, I was considering the following:
- Wild World India (good feedback on this forum, but can't find much about them elsewhere)
- Castle & King (good feedback on Fodors forum, but not much elsewhere)
- Indian Panorma (good feedback on Trip Advisor, but not much elsewhere)

Any other suggestions or points of reference for reviews good and/or bad.

2) My initial thoughts on an itinerary for about 15 days were:
Delhi (one full day to see main sights)
Agra (one full day for Taj Mahal)
Ranthambore (three nights/two full days)
Overnight train to Bandhavgarh (two full days/two nights)
to Kanha (three nights/two full days)
On to Mumbai for flight back to UK

Trying to get a mix of contrasting parks but also with a reasonable chance of tigers. Feedback welcome - I can't sadly stretch beyond about 15 days due to my job.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 09:20 AM

Greetings, Dongle.

Re: Indiannpanorama, I've used them either in full for three, and in part for two, trips to India,, and now for another trip (to Gujarat) and have mentioned them on this forum when the subject of India-based tour planner/s/travel agents comes up. At least two other Fodors folks used their service. My experiences match those of the numerous excellent Tripadvisor reviews from all over the world. It's listed under Tiruchirapalli in Tami Nadu, their original and largest office. Their website is informative and interesting (check the "Gallery") and they give sample itineraries, which are just for ideas baed on time limits, totally adjustable and not at all "canned" unless their idea fits with yours.
They are also mentioned on Indiamike (which is how I was lucky enough to learn of them eight yrs ago after very disappointing experiences with other companies). If you search there for Faith Pandian (who co-started the company) and/or under the company name on IM, you should find some information.

Their prices are reasonable. DO compare for sure. If you decide to enquire, your best contact there to start things rolling is [email protected]

My recommendation is to put your questions about itinerary, as you have here, to a bunch of travel planners--those you've mentioned, and/or others. Whomever you decide to go with, have fantastic time!!!!
Old Oct 27th, 2016, 11:28 AM

We dealt with Take meto India for our holiday to India earlier this year. They were fantastic, and we found them proficient and very knowledgeable.

See if they can be of any help. https://www.takemetoindia.in/

Greg
Old Oct 27th, 2016, 12:10 PM

We have not visited Africa, but from what I have red here safaris there are much more interesting than those in India. I'd really think twice about spending the time and money on an Indian safari. We did one in Corbett park and were highly disappointed about the entire experience. The next year we visited Chitwan Park in Nepal and it was a much better experience (and we saw a tiger).
Old Oct 27th, 2016, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have to agree with julies. I have not done safaris in either place (not my thing), but almost all the reports here on Indian safaris have expressed disappointment, more especially if the poster had previously visitied Africa. At the very least, I would suggest visiting one park, and spending the rest of your time seeing India itself. Just visiting the parks misses the point of going to India, which is a very large, very diverse place.
Old Oct 28th, 2016, 10:20 PM

I've been fortunate to have done safaris in E Africa, and two in India in Nagarhole N.P. (It's in the South.)

I just read about a place called SherGarh Tented Camp, near Kanha N.P. which you do mention. Now I am dreaming of another Indian safari trip! (I "found" Shergarh Camp because its owners also have a place in Bhuj Gujurat, where I hope to stay.)

Read reviews, see if it appeals,and perhaps contact the owners Jehan and Katie--or have a great travel agent do so as part of a bigger itinerary. IF you decide to see fewer wildlife parks in India perhaps Kanha is the place that will most appeal.

India is different from Africa--so are its safaris of course. (Heck, ,Kenyan safaris are different from park to park, and Kenya's differ from other African countries.) Go with a different set of expectations from what you had for your African safaris.

It seems your main interest is wildlife. As you no doubt know, there is one incredible animal you can see in India--I've been lucky enough to have-- but not in Africa: the magnificient tiger.
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your comments all

i've been to Africa four times principally to photograph wildlife (twice Southern Africa and twice Eastern Africa) so looking for something different and as CaliNurse rightly points out you won't see tigers in Africa

seeing tigers is the main purpose of the trip so that's why wildlife is the main priority and then stopping off at the Taj Mahal is just a nice bonus

i'm probably going to just do two parks to minimise the amount of time lost transferring between places, fairly set on ranthambore for one but weighing up banhavgarh, kanha or tadoba for the other
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 07:54 PM

Hi donglemouse,

I've done two safaris in India (Ranthambore and Corbett) and both were arranged by Tigerwalah. Both times were fantastic with multiple tiger sightings and of different tigers. Please see my comments posted on January 26 and May 26 in the following thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...me-of-year.cfm

I've been on seven safaris in various eastern and southern African countries. The experience in India is definitely different, but seeing a tiger in the wild should not be missed. I'll be heading to Botswana next month, but I am already planning a return to Ranthambore in the spring of 2017.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 09:07 AM

Researching Gujarat state for a trip in February, I learned also of Gir National Forest. This is the home of the Asiatic lion. Indian safaris and spottings are unique!
Re: Agra, my strong suggestion would be an overnight, not a day trip from New Delhi--time permitting, of course. On arrival, you can go to the Moonlight Garden (Mehtab Bagh) and see the Taj Mahal from the opposite side of the river at sunset; next day get up very early, see Taj itself. Don't miss the Fort (especially if you don't have time in one day to see the Red Fort in Delhi--similar styles).