India Republic Day - Jan.26

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm helping a couple of co-workers plan their trip to India in January and came across a national holiday there on Jan.26. Can anyone tell me if this means everything will be closed that day? Is it only that day or does the celebration carry over to the weekend? Are there special celebrations they could attend? Will they have trouble doing sightseeing that day or getting reservations at a restaurant? They plan to eat mainly in hotel restaurants to avoid any health problems.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 01:51 AM

The holiday is National Day, i.e. Independence Day (although the British left in August 1947, the holiday is celebrated in January in the cool weather and also I believe that is the date on which the constitution was adopted.) If they will be in Delhi, there is a parade along Rajpath to the Red Fort which is definitely worth seeing, lots of military bands and soldiers and often tanks and other weapons which you don?t typically see in US independence day parades. . .There is also usually an air show by the Indian Air force which is good as well. I am not sure if other cities also have parades, I don?t believe so, but they should check with their hotel. If they will be in Delhi, they should also check to see if the hotel can get them reserved seats for the parade, as there are grandstands along part of the route that would be a better place to watch the parade.

It is only a one-day holiday and while important, is not a major holiday as it has no religious significance. Restaurants should not be more crowded than usual and most should be open on that day. Some museums and palaces may be closed, they would need to check with your hotel on the day.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cicerone. They wanted to go to Agra for the Taj Mahal but it seems the Oberoi Amarvilas is totally booked from Jan.20 to Jan.31. They were thinking of delaying their trip by a week but then they'll run into Chinese New Year which we've been told is also celebrated in India.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 10:35 PM

Chinese new year is NOT celebrated in India. Amar Vilas is probably booked due to peak season which runs in India NOv-Feb. IF u want a hotel option in Agra u could consider the Mughal Sheraton but it is not in the same league as Amar Vilas. Hotel restaurants should not be a problem - popular places like Bukhara in the Maurya Sheraton in Delhi are always packed so those u need to plan and reach in advance but otherwise u should not have any problems.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Hobbes. I wondered why Indians would celebrate Chinese New Year. Looks like that was a bit of misinformation we received.