India help for a newbie, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie to India, that is - otherwise a fairly well seasoned traveler. I am considering a one week trip to India because I can get a great fare to Delhi. Probable schedule would be in late November, arrive from US on a Monday, depart the following Sunday night. Am totally open to advice and suggestion of all sort from fellow Fodorites regrading how to best use this time - where to visit, how to get there, tips on lodging and dining, etc.
Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 08:18 PM

i am working with compass tours on a two week trip for nov 06...craig from this forum has suggested him....i see on his website that he offers a one week golden triangle tour starting in delhi, which might interest you...do a goggle search for compass tours and you will see it..

what great air deal did you find??

i am finding indian hotels to be unusually expensive...btw

bob
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 10:44 PM

Consider going for more than 1 week, it is a long flight for one week and with jet lag, travel delays which can easily occur in India, and the general exhaustion that traveling in India can bring on, you may not be able to fit in as much as you think.

Start the application process for your Indian visa. Consult the Embassy of India, 2536 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20008 (202/939-9806/9839) or nearest Consulate General: Chicago (312/595-0405), Houston (713-626-2355), New York (212/774-0600) or San Francisco (415/668-0683). Internet: www.indiagov.org

That is a nice time of year weatherwise, it is not hot in north India.

A typical first-time trip would be to the "golden triangle" area of Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur and/or Jodphur in Rajasthan, but your options are almost limitless, esp at that time of year as places like the beaches of Goa and Kerala are at their prime at that time, as is tiger-viewing at Ranthambore. I think even areas of the Himalaya like Leh would be good in November. If you truly have one week, pick at most 3 places. I believe you will just miss the Puskhar camel fair which I think is mid-November 2006, but you might run a Google search for the precise date. the only place you might want to avoid is the southeast coastal areas around Chennai which will have rains. India has a vast array of geography and culture, perhaps you can think about your interests (museums, beaches, wildlife, mountains, cities, religious sites etc) and do some reading.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 11:32 PM

rhkkmk...strange you should say that you are finding hotels expensive..we have found just the opposite to be true. Maybe it depends on he time of year.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:25 AM

A week is not much time at all for India but a good introduction would be Delhi, Agra and Jaipur - I would minimize time in Delhi for this length of trip unless you are really into shopping. It would help if you gave us an idea of your budget so we can advise you on hotels and restaurants. Compass Tours can help make all of your arrangements - you will need a driver to get around and a guide would be helpful at times. Your biggest challange will be obtaining lodging on such short notice - India has become a very popular place to visit, especially between November and February. Bob is correct about the cost of lodging, although bargains can be found for those willing to put up with the miserable weather in the off-season.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:44 AM

I agree about the timings. You could use at least 10 days and preferably more due to jet lag, etc. Where are you flying from BTW?
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. The fare deal is on Continental which has started service into Delhi, with a $499 OW from EWR fare (book by 9/12, travel 1 Nov - 13 Dec) special. The 7 day time span is pretty fixed by other obligations, so I am approaching this as an "orientation tour" if you would.

Based on other posts I found using the Fodors search function, I did have a look at the Jetways site about the 7 day air pass. 7 day pass does not allow travel in more than one region, but I could not find a definition of the regions. Anyone know about this? Perhaps with so brief a time I should just concentrate on ground transport. Other posters suggest the train from Delhi to Agra, for example, or hiring a private driver/guide. As to budget, I am too old for the hostel scene but too miserly for the 5 star milieu, so middle-of-the-road accommodation is fine. All I require is clean, safe, comfortable and conveniently located.

Thanks again for all the help - additional suggestions most welcome!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:59 AM

For a hotel in Delhi try Nirulas. It would fit your needs I think.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 09:18 AM

one problem i am finding with india is that there is not middle of the road...but there is some i gather...not always in a convenient place however...

ground transport seems the best all around way with distances between golden triangle cities about 2-4 hours...
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:00 AM

If you stick to the Golden Triangle (Delhi, Agra, Jaipur) there is no need to fly - the train is faster than going by car and is an experience in itself - you will see the most however if you hire a car and driver for most of your trip.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:30 AM

rhkkmk writes: "one problem i am finding with india is that there is not middle of the road...but there is some i gather...not always in a convenient place however..."

This is true. The drop between a 5-star hotel to a 4-star hotel in India is steep. And from a 4-star to less it is free fall. Things are likely to improve in the coming years - a bunch of corporate chains are addressing the middle market segment and there have been announcements of new hotels to fill this market.

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 02:09 PM

Atago
most helpful to hear the comments about range of quality and pricing in India . Are you aware of the mid market hotels coming on stream and when ? My search for Feb 2006 is proving to be interesting. I am hearing rumors that some hotels are already wiatlisted into April.

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:48 PM

Seamus, it sounds like the golden triangle maybe the way to go...while were were staying with friends in Delhi they kept raving about the Neemrana hotel chain which has several converted forts/palaces between Delhi and Jaipur. Staying even a night or two at one of these might give you a feel for Rajasthan.

I really think the question of "quality" in India hotels depends on what you are looking for. If you prefer 5 stars then the best of the Oberois are certainly the way to go -there is no question regarding the quality of the room and service.

However, if you are open to a more personal and less corporate experience the heritage hotels offer some really charming hosts and architectural wonders.

We stayed in some very nice places...don't be afraid to go below 5 stars in India. I love luxury but I also enjoyed the personal character of the heritage properties.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:51 PM

Delhi Agra and Rajasthan have plenty of mid-range hotels, though the standards in Delhi and Agra are not the same as in Rajasthan where a number of families have converted their ancestral homes into very attractive guest houses. They also make wonderful hosts!

I am not sure if the chain hotels will offer mid-range prices. We will have to wait for them to come up, but I think you will be looking at at least USD 100/- per night in the newer properties.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:10 AM

At least some hotels vary widely with season, and November is high season. We stayed in the delightful Samode Haveli in Jaipur in August, at $70 a night. In high season it costs about $200.

In Delhi, I have often stayed at the Connaught Hotel near Connaught Place (very central) at about $70 a night including a hearty breakfast buffet. Not really worth it - the beds are hard and the rooms noisy. Nearby is the Park, about $120 a night and very comfortable, breakfast included there as well.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

www.straughan.com

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

www.straughan.com
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Visit www.indiamike.com for more information than you could possbly imagine . It's a wonderful resource.