Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

India first timer. Do I have time for Nepal as well?

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spending about 2 wks in India during late Nov/early Dec. I'm thinking about adding in Nepal for a few days and heading to the Kathmandu valley but not sure if it will just be way too rushed. I like a good paced trip and often prefer trips at that move from place to place every few days. Here's what I'm thinking so far but would love any recommendations.

Day 1- Delhi
Day 2-3 Jaipur
Day 4-5 Jodhpur
Day 6-7 Agra
Day 8-9 Varanasi
Day 10-13 Nepal
Day 14-15 Delhi

I realize this is going to involve some night trains as well as a few 5 hr train rides. We'd like to add in the Kathmandu Valley as we love having a change of pace on our trips. That said, is the trip still too rushed? What would you recommend cutting or adding?

For background, my bf and I are a couple in our early 30s. We're not looking for any desert camel treks as we did this in Morocco a few years back and while we loved it, once was enough. Love just walking through historic areas, markets, and finding great food.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:08 PM

omg, your trip is all about moving from one place to another.. skip nepal this trip and slow down.

our favorite was udaipur.. i think i would go there rather than jos, although we liked it ok too, but honestly i would cut them too.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, no, you can't tackle India at speed! You need to redo that itinerary with nights and travel times, and don't short change Varanasi. You'll find India quite enough to absorb without adding Nepal. (Agree with you about riding camels, have done it three times now, China, Morocco and Jordan, really don't need to do it again!)
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

We'll have to save Nepal for another trip (as I feared), hopefully in this lifetime.

Removing Nepal leaves me 4 extra days, any suggestions? I'd love to visit some smaller towns or ideally someplace in nature but quite sure how to fit that in for an ideal itinerary.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 10:23 PM

The Shekawati region north of Jaipur. The bird park near Agra. More time in Varanasi. As I said, redo the itinerary with travel times and you will see that you have very limited time IN the places you list. For instance, when do you leave Agra on day 7 and when do you arrive in Varanasi on day 8?
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 06:16 AM

udaipur
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will look into those places.

In regards to the Agra day 7/Varanasi day 8, I was planning to take the night train from Agra. I've heard from multiple people not to linger in Agra so I figured the one overnight would be enough time to see the Taj and surrounding sights.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

I will certainly look at adding a day to some of my destinations. Jodhpur looks quite interesting to me, so definitely there.

I'm curious because Udaipur doesnt look all that interesting to me but lots of people seems to adore it. What did you guys like about it so much? The vibe, the sights, etc?
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 06:55 AM

The vibe, lake, palace, old city built around the lake. There are alot of good places to eat and stay at all price points. It was a fun 3 days.(4 nights)
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 09:38 AM

It's easier to figure out how long you have somewhere if schedule nights. For instance it looks like just one night in Varanasi as well as Agra, but it's hard to tell. Oh, and in Varanasi, stay on the river, not in the tourist enclave in the "new" town.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 12:15 PM

udaipur is really superb, and nice place
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 01:32 AM

Hi

Your itinerary seems really fast moving from one place to another ...it will be wise to cancel some place of India if you really want to come to Nepal ...then it will be a easy and your desire will be fulfilled . thanks

Dev