India: cash money in US$ or EURO ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My home Country currency Euro. Is there any advantage to exchange it into cash US$ or anyway any currency should then be exchanged in INR ? Then I would exchange EURO into INR directly !!
Driver and hotels will be prepaid. We only need the cash for the other daily needs.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Use your bank card (not credit card) to get cash from an ATM machine. Your first stop is Delhi so you shouldn't have any problems finding a cash station.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks Marija, do you mean no exchange at the airport on arrival at an exchange office ?
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 04:48 PM

There are exchanges at the airport but using your bank card at an ATM is normally the better deal.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 06:59 PM

you might want some small cash on arrival and i would get that from an airport ATM or exchange euros there and then use atm's the rest of the time..

don't forget to tell your bank and credit card companies that you will be using your cards in india
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:09 PM

I agree that generally to get cash during the trip you will want to use an ATM rather than carrying around lots of foreign currency. (You can use credit cards in many places as well.) But to answer your question, even if you decide to bring in cash, there is no advantage in first converting your Euros to Dollars to then be converted to Rupees. Euros are easily and readily convertible in India.

There is an ATM at Delhi airport, you can also use the money changers there. You could also get some Rupees in your home country (either at the airport or at a bank) before you leave. I always like to have a small amount (like €50) with me just in case the ATM is broken or in service, or if there is a line at the money changers, etc. You never know (esp in India).

(FYI the Rupee is not freely convertible, and it is actually <i>illegal</i> to bring OR take Rupees out of India. This is of course strange because you can get Rupees quite easily at banks and forex offices in most countries. However, only residents of India who are traveling abroad are allowed to bring in or take out small amounts of currency (about US$100). I travel to India about once a month, and always have a bit of cash with me, but have never been asked nor searched myself, so I would not have any concerns if you bring some Rupees in or take them out. The exchange controls are more to find Indians hiding income from tax authorities, and not for small amounts of currency which tourists may bring in and out. )
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 10:29 PM

The easiest option is to withdraw cash at the Airport using a bank card at an ATM. The only caveat, you have to let your bank know that you'll be in India for some time. During your trip, just use your bank card whenever you need cash and keep like a thousand Rupees handy for emergencies.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

thanks a lot.

just back home today from our trip. Bank card used with ATM without any problem !!
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM

WElcome back, Fabio - tell us about the rest of the trip!
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 02:45 PM

Yeah! We want to know how it went!