Independent car and driver in Thailand

Aug 2nd, 2014, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Independent car and driver in Thailand

We are planning ahead for a trip to Thailand. We have been several times before, but not for several years. For one of our trips, we hired a driver who picked us up in Chiang Mai and drove us all around the central and northern parts of Thailand with no real set itinerary. However, as it has been so many years, we have lost track of him. We don't want to do tours, and would prefer not to book multiple drivers across the country. We will be flying into Bangkok. Any help would be much appreciated.
Aug 2nd, 2014, 05:26 PM

Are you looking for a driver to drive you from Bangkok to all parts of the country and stay with you while you are in country? If that is the case it will be expensive and might be hard to find such a driver.

Since you have not been to the country for several years, a lot of low cost airlines now operate throughout the kingdom and the price is normally the same or cheaper, for 2 people, than using a car and driver + gasoline to go from A to B.
Aug 3rd, 2014, 05:35 PM

A lot of car hire places can organise a driver for you.

What do you want to see and how far do you want to go?

It wouldnt make sense to have a driver take you from Bangkok to Trang then back up to Nong Khai for example.

Flying then getting a car is more practical unless you want to focus on the area close to Bangkok.

Car hire places also have free 1 way drop offs when you hire for more than a certain period if you self drive.
Aug 3rd, 2014, 05:44 PM

Also how long is your trip? The more info you provide the more people can help you.
Aug 3rd, 2014, 08:27 PM

This sounds interesting. How much does it cost to hire driver/car for 5 people to go around chiang Mai for a day tour?
Aug 3rd, 2014, 10:49 PM

Car and driver usually around 1800 baht for a day. Then you would pay for fuel, say 700 baht.
Aug 6th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Prachaup, thanks for your info. We haven't planned an itinerary yet, but as much of the country as we've seen, we haven't really investigated the countryside around Bangkok, so that may be of interest. Not so much talking about a driver for the entire stay, but having someone for a week, is more what we had in mind. I appreciate the comments about flying versus driving, but the issue is the advantage of choosing where and when to stop is our desire. The price of 1800 Baht plus fuel per day is within our range I think. Would that price rise if it were a multi-day trip with overnights? Are either of you a driver? We would want a driver with commercial licensing and insurance. If not, can you recommend an company?
Aug 6th, 2014, 05:15 PM

ellis2013, The 1,800 Baht per day quoted by the poster above is typically for a 8 - 10 hours rent of a van or a car in one city. If you're hiring multiple days then it will cost much more than that. All vehicles in Thailand must have a minimum of a liability insurance by law which will only cover the third party. Some might have full insurance coverage so if that is important with you I would ask before hand. I also doubt if the drivers will have a "commercial" license and insurance as I believe only bus and truck drivers have them.

If the commercial license and insurance is what you're looking for I would check with companies such as Budget rent a car. Here's a link to the Thai Budget rent a car: https://www.budget.co.th/service_Chauffeur.aspx
Aug 8th, 2014, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. I will check out your links.
Aug 9th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Prachuap and Hanuman, The Budget link got me started. Have since found other possibilities. If they seem good, I will post the links.