Reload this Page >

Immunizations needed for Thailand?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:11 PM
Debbie

Does anyone know if any immunization shots are needed for travel to Thailand traveling from the U.S.? I looked on the CDC site and it seemed rather vague. I suppose we will mostly in Bangkok, but were thinking of doing some traveling in the country after our business meeting. We will be going in October, if that matters. Thanks for your replies.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:21 PM
jhm

I would suggest talking to a doctor at a travel clinic; do a web search for travel clinics and you should be able to find one in your area. I always err on the side of caution and get the shots recommended by the CDC.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 07:07 PM
Meg

On our first trip to Thailand when we only traveled to Bangkok and Phuket, we didn't have any immunizations. For other trips to Asia, we've had numerous shots (Hep A, Measles/Rubella, Typhoid, Tetanus, and one other that I always forget). For an extended stay that we are planning in Thailand next year, our doctor at the travel clinic has us getting Hep B, Japanese Encephalitis, Rabies pre-exposure series plus updating our tetanus and typhoid just before we go. If you are staying in tourist areas for only a short time, you probably won't need anything, but if you are planning on trekking, spending time in the jungle or in the border areas around the Golden Triangle, you may need some shots and definintely some malaria pills. If you have a tropical disease clinic in your area, they will be able to tell you exactly what you need.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:23 AM
pat

If your plan is mainly in bangkok, you may not need any immunisations, but prepared for a hot and humid weather, including food poisoning.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:47 PM
sarah

'Please' ask your Doctor. Much can also depend on age/physical condition. Please 'do' ask your Doctor.