Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

I'm looking for a cooking class in Thailand

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 04:48 PM
Paula Wright

Planning a trip to Thailand next year, and i'd like to spend a couple of days in a cooking class. One that focuses on seafood and vegies would be good, and i'm willing to build my travel plans around it! <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 05:20 PM
Michael

Paula - the famed Oriental Hotel in Bangkok has a cooking school. Further afield in Chiang Mai, there is a cooking school which offers one and two courses. The hours are 1000AM to 300PM. There are only 3 to 10 students in the class and you need to call ahead for reservations. The experienced Thai chef speaks English. E-mail me for their telephone number and name. Cost is 600 Baht per session including transportation and ingredients. Chiang Mai and Bangkok are airplane trip apart. <BR> <BR>Michael

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 05:21 PM
Michael

Sorry - that was One and Two day courses... <BR> <BR>m

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 11:55 AM
celeste

Paula: <BR>My husband and I went to the Chaing Mai School of Cookery that the other person responded to and loved it. When we went 4 years ago, we went to the home of the teacher. It was a very simple setting nothing dashing like the Oriental but the food was fantastic.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 11:38 AM
Roz

Hi Paula: <BR> <BR>I took a one day cooking class while I was in Chiang Mai (would have loved to take the 2 day but ran out of time) <BR> <BR>The class was excellent and cost 500 Bhat. It included a tour of the market in the morning before we started so we could identify ingredients and taste delicacies we would not have tried on our own, a recipe book (that I have used numerious times) and was divided into two sessions with participants eating what they had prepared in the morning for lunch and in the afternoon for dinner. <BR> <BR>e-mail me if you want further details.