Reload this Page >

going to bangkok

Search

going to bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 12:55 PM
tom oldham

going to bangkok

I am going to bangkok next month for 5 days--was thinking of taking an overnight train to the north for a day--is this a good idea or should i merely stay in bangkok and see the sites around there?

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 01:44 AM
Teresa

Hi Tom, We spent 12 days in Bangkok last October and there was plenty of things to do without going somewhere overnight. Many tours are full day (like from 5a.m. to about 7p.m.). River Kwai was a great tour, longtail boats through the klongs was good, Ayuthaya with 3 hr cruise down river was good, of course the Royal Palace is a must, Safari World was excellent, especially if you've got kids. Then of course you've got all the markets and shopping, plus lots more tours. Don't miss out on a night time tuk-tuk ride. <BR>Hope this helps, Teresa.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 01:47 AM
Teresa

PS. Forgot about the floating markets, really worth seeing and also the Rose Garden (cultural show) & meal.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 05:30 PM
Meg

We spent four days in Bangkok a few years ago and spent the other three days of our trip on Phuket. We really regret not taking the overnight train to Chiang Mai to see it. We loved Bangkok - and I agree that you can more than fill 5 days in Bangkok, but if you are set on seeing another city, I say - go for it. When I looked into it, the overnight train was $17 for first class. I also recall seeing a Lonely Planet (or some backpacker/budget type travel show) that included that overnight train and made me decide that when I do go to Chiang Mai, I'm will fly. The price difference is worth it to me - as well as the time it would save - especially on a short trip. Our flight to Phuket was around $100, and I imagine a flight to Chiang Mai would be about the same. Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 03:33 AM
pete

Tom, <BR>Because of the limited time you mentioned, i think you can certainly catch a night service express train from bkk to Chiang Mai, but what your next step would be for the inbound leg to bkk, flying? otherwise you are going to lose some time you can spend some places just nearby bkk. Indeed, the airfare for bkk-chiangmai would be around 4000B (about 100 USD) you can check www.thaiair.com for scheldule and fares. <BR> <BR>If you are going to be in bkk over the weekend, don't forget Chatujak weekend market in your lists, if you really want a train trip, i would reccommend a trip to Kanchanaburi, the death railway, and the bridge of the river Kwai. <BR> <BR>Good luck in the city of angels/

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 10:31 AM
Ann

Hi Tom. I just returned from Bangkok. <BR>As another traveler wrote - Royal Palace in the city is a *must*. As is Wat Po (across the street)which is the city's oldest temple and houses the largest reclying buddha. The downside of the city is the traffic and pollution, but there's a new train system and enough to keep you busy. Just don't fall for the scam where those ricksha drivers claim the Royal Palace is closed for the day/morning and opening later. They want your money to take you elsewhere. The palace is always open. Have fun!