Ideas for Saigon

Search

Ideas for Saigon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for Saigon

We are traveling to Saigon and surrounding area for a week. We will have our children (3 and 9) and our adventurous parents (68 and 72) with us. Does anyone have any advise on where to stay (4 star) and what to do?
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:58 AM

The nicest hotel in my opinion (although I did not see all of them!) is the Park Hyatt. I think rather than use stars as guidelines, use prices so you can receive more accurate advice. The Park Hyatt compares to the very best in Asia and beyond.

On another trip I was happy with the Somerset Chancellor Court residential hotel. It costs much less than the Hyatt.

Both places have wonderful pools that your children night enjoy, as the weather is often quite hot.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:31 AM

Having lived in Saigon I can assure you it is rarely not hot and humid so if a pool is important, go for it!

I'd weigh in on specific hotels but that scene has changed considerably since I lived there.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:51 AM

Yes, the hotel scene has changed very much even since I had been there last 8 years ago. The exuberance of that city is really something to behold! Well at least with a group of 6 people you will form a mass when stepping off the curb into the street! I had to sidle up to all sorts of strangers in order to feel comfortable enough to cross some of the wide streets.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the hotel I stayed in in 2002 and 2004 seems to have closed - it was a great value with friendly staff, too. I also agree that it will be hot and humid.

WRT what to do - you say "surrounding area" are you planing to stay in Saigon the whole time? A week is rather long for Saigon. You could consider a trip through the delta region, or heading to the beach at Mui Ne for a couple of days. Definitely take the day trip to the Cu Chi tunnels and the Cao Dai temple.

In Saigon itself, visit the elaborately decorated temples in the Chinese section, Cholon. Visit the Reunification Palace and the War Remnants Museum for some history. Take a look at the Ben Thanh market. Eat...

I dealt with the traffic by walking diagonally towards the oncoming vehicles, at a slow and steady pace, trying to make eye contact with the drivers. The traffic then swerved round me. I do agree that at first you're better off keeping a local between you and the river of motos and cars!
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:16 AM

Yes!! And after while I got bolder, surprising even myself. But just when I thought I had it licked, either by fearlessly plunging into the street alone or fearlessly attaching myself to a local, I found out that the sidewalks are not off limits! If traffic gets too jammed, the bikers merely jump the curb and ride along the pedestrian-thronged sidewalks!

Saigon (and Hanoi) was the first place where I took photos of the traffic, just to convey the scene to the three people back home who actually express interest in seeing my photos!

But I adored that city!
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"the bikers merely jump the curb and ride along the pedestrian-thronged sidewalks" - eks, yes! Although I don't remember that being a problem in 2002, it had become one in 2004. I had loved staying in the Old Quarter in Hanoi in 2002, but by 2004 the number of motos there had exploded, and it felt a little dangerous to walk around - besides being much noisier! I had to move to a room at the back, instead of overlooking the street.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:00 AM
ber

We were in saigon in Jan with 3 kids, aged 8,11, 12 and enjoyed it- although a week seems a long time.
The highlight for the children was a trip to the Water Park (kids squealing in delight is an international language!) and may help combat the heat.
...An outdoor meal at the Ben Thanh markets in the evening... night markets. Some of the war museum displays and Cu Chi tunnel exhibits are very graphic, although my 2 older children liked the challenge of getting thru the tunnels.

We went 2-3 hrs away to the Vinh Long district in the Mekong Delta, stayed in a fabulous homestay on stilts over the canal,and saw the local floating markets and villages.This was great although even in Jan it was quite warm.

Lots to enjoy, as long as you can keep the kids cool!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM

We stayed in the Duxton which was a very good 4 star hotel with all amenities and very well located.

http://www.duxton.com/saigon

Would stay there again.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Novir, The Duxton is the hotel I had decided on for an up-coming trip in October. Did you book on their web site or use an agent? Thanks,
Jane
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful replies!!! I couldn't have done this without you. Word of warning...get your visas early!!! We waited too long and are now having to pay about $700 Sing dollars to get them rushed next week!!!! Give yourself at least 2 weeks to be safe!!! We were used to visaless travel in Thailand, Borneo, etc....
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM

You could have just used Vietnamstay are arranged a pre-approved visa to be granted on arrival.

www.vietnamstay.com

What is a 'Visa on Arrival ?': this is most likely the easiest way to obtain your visa without having to chase down embassies, consulates and the like prior to your trip, and is a valid alternative when applying for a tourist visa. The entry visa will be stamped on your passport as you pass through our immigration checkpoint. Though valid for thirty days, it can be extended once you enter Viet Nam. With this type of visa, you only can enter the country by air.

How to get a Visa on Arrival: this is where service at VietnamStay.Com shines over other travel services. We are the first agency to offer this kind of service, whereby we obtain what is called an “Approval Letter” for you from the Viet Nam Immigration Department in Hanoi. After we obtain the approval for you, we will forward you a copy by fax or email. Copies of the same document will be forwarded on your behalf to Vietnam immigration checkpoints at International Airports only, so that when you arrive in Viet Nam, the Immigration officers will have those documents on hand and will be able to issue your entry visa expediently.

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Look at my recent post SE Asia--Trip for some info about Saigon (HCMC)
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 08:56 PM

I wish to come Saigon one again. I'm living in Paris and know about Saigon through online newspaper online. In these days, i have found a good source about Saingon at:

http://vietnam-beauty.com/cities/ho-chi-minh-city.html