I need information about 21" luggage.

Old May 28th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need information about 21" luggage.

What are the dimensions of this suitcase? I presume 21" high - what else? This is often mentioned on Fodors as a desirable size case, especially with wheels. Do they roll down the middle of a train aisle easily?
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:05 AM

Whatever size is fine as long as you can easily move them around, Amanda. Perhaps some have found that size to be optimum. No idea what the dimensions are of my luggage but they're big enough to pack for 2 persons for a 2 week trip.

Can only comment from my own personal experience. And I've no complaints with my Samsonite Oyster, 4 wheelers. They have a retractable tape handle that you pull. Kinda like walking an excited puppy, only you're the puppy and the suitcase is the human on skates. Okie, there's something weird with that analogy but you get the picture... =p

I've pulled my Oyster with 3 inch heels on and they move great on flat ground. But then there's the stairs of the station. Try and locate the lifts but not all stations in Japan have them. The big ones usually do though.

Don't worry so much about the train aisles. If you're aiming for the back row or the front row, there's not much maneuvaring to do down the aisles from the train cabin entrances.
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:42 PM

21" or 22" as desirable size.

The restrictions for carry on luggage for most airlines is 45 linear inches:
length+width+depth. Usually not to exceed these dimensions: 22x14x9.
Therefore, a 21" bag usually meets this requirement.

At last glance many of the international carriers have the same restrictions.

It seems that Southwest and America West have more lenient polices.

Amtrak has policy of 2 bags: 28x22x14.
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info Circa - I'm off to measure my smallest bag now! So you just take this on the plane with you as hand luggage and don't have to wait for luggage at the other end of the flight?
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Amanda:

Correct. but be sure to follow the security regulations of things you cannot take on board the aircraft.
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:07 PM

And, Amanda, remember that will be your one carry on (plus a purse) and you can't take another smaller bag along. Airlines are getting much stricter about carry ons.
Old May 31st, 2004, 02:33 AM

Also remember that in addition to size restricitions many airlines limit the weight of carry-ons. Best to check the policy of the airline(s) you will be travelling with.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 04:33 PM

I've been through hundreds of pieces of luggage over the past 30-plus years...everything from Samsonite to Louis Vuitton hardsided... and I swear by Kipling luggage. I like the 22-inch(I think that's the size) carry-on suitcase. If I only take one suitcase, then I take that one. If I take two suitcases-I like to buy textiles-then I take two of the same size and check one in and take the other one on the plane. As of the first of this year, Kipling has redesigned its suitcases and now when you pull the handle up, it locks into place and doesn't slide down.Plus, what's good about Kipling is that it comes in all different colors so, if you pick a bright color, you can't not spot your checked suitcase when it comes down the conveyer belt.Kipling is incredibly durable and it can get monsoon rained on and still look great.It's worth its price a couple times over! www.kipling.com for the Kipling boutiques and pictures of the collection. Bon Voyage.