I'm off to Thailand!

Search

I'm off to Thailand!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm off to Thailand!

After waiting for what seems like forever, it's time and I'm leaving tomorrow! When I first got my tickets last August, I was going to go for 4-5 days. My boyfriend, who's been there 3 times, talked me into staying longer. 7 days then 10 and finally 2 weeks. I'd like to say Thanks to all the Fodorites who convinced me - even if you didn't know it - that I made the right decision. Gregg hasn't been there in 15 years - and when he was there, he didn't spend much time in BKK or ChiangMai. Rather, he was at the Burmese border towns since he was there to buy gems (unfortunately, by the time we met he was out of the gem biz. Big sigh) So it will be a new experience for both of us.

I'm staying at the Marriott, thanx to Bob. An oasis in the middle of the city is my idea of heaven! And I need the pool, to counteract the heat. Not to mention I took his advice and got a Marriott Visa - which came with one free night and an upgrade.

I'll be shopping and dining and sightseeing and shopping and...

I can't believe how much I've learned about the country from this site! I've listened to discussions, heard your opinions, asked a few questions and hit this site every day, several times a day (kind of an obsession - but I know I'm not alone!)

Will post when we're there if I find a friendly internet cafe. Otherwise - talk to everyone later!

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Have a wonderful time!!
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 01:56 PM

You will have a better time than you can imagine. Remember, if you love it as much as we do, you'll be back, so don't try to do everything. Just soak in all that you do. Get a massage.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:40 PM

Have a fabulous trip! And remember to take the time to talk to the Thai people. They, even more than the temples, shopping, food, are what Thailand so very very special.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:59 PM

yes---have the best time of your life...you will love it...hope you are happy with the marriott...i'm sure you will be...

there is a very good and cheap internet site not far from the hotel...go out the drive and turn right...walk up the side walk for 4-5 minutes maybe...you will see their small sign over the door---"internet"...it is usually full of kids playing games...you will see the shoes out on the sidewalk...go in and take your shoes off....it is very cheap and the speed is not bad...the marriott charges 195B for 15 minutes i think and their computers are not good....it might be 50B for an hour....??? no english there...everything is by sign language...
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:50 PM

good Idea on gettng the marriot card.. hopefully others will do so.. and pramote the deal

www.smartertravel.com is a great site to find such programs.

for those that come here every year and spend a ton.. the elite card is for you it costs only $25.000 but is a lifetime membership and you get some big perks every year.. free flights to bkk etc..

===========
actually the Nai lert (RAFFLES) is considered the tranquil hotel in the midlle of the city
it's low-rise and sorounded by botanical gardins and pool.. And it's only a 5 minut walk too phlonchit BTS station and if you walk and take a left on phlonchit (street) and walk an extra 5 minuts your in the midle of the shopping district.

I bet ya if the idiots at markating changed the name too RAFFLEs bangkok they would get a lot more customers and comments from fodders.. it's all about the name throwing

the marriot riverside is like staying in Queens NYC. it's in the midle of the city. but no where neer ther tourist/shopping
spots of manhaten... lol I'll stop actually Bob has just about brainwashed all of us and I too may try it out if the oppertunity comes up..

have fun
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 03:58 AM

have a wonderful trip, cjackson like you everything I learned in planning our trip was through this site, what a gift to the independent traveler! I look forward to your postings when you return. I'm going in early April & will appreciate the feedback and experiences you have. Yes, I visit this site more than once a day, too.(confession?) Its addictve and wonderful. Thanks, Mr. Fodor (or maybeits Ms.?) Janak626
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:05 AM

TO rhkkmk: re: BKK How do I find the "Marriott" visa? I went to smarttraverl.com and couldn't figure it out and on the marriott web site the cost per room is considerablyhigher than either planetholiday.com or asiavoyage24.com. Can youhelp ,e out here? thank you
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Janek-you have to apply and get a Marriott Rewards Visa credit card-just type those words into a search engine, and you will find sites where you can apply for one, if you want. Bear in mind that such credit cards have fairly high interest rates, after the introductory offer period is up.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:15 AM

go to the marriott site and there is a link:

www.marriott.com