I know where, I just don't know how...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am now planning my upcoming trip to Thailand. As of right now, I want to go to: Bangkok (4 days), Chiang Mai, Umphang and then either Hong Kong or one of the beach areas (Phuket). I think I prefer Hong Kong but that depends on how difficult it will be to include that in my journey. I will be leaving from NY and have a total of 15 or 16 days.

I will probably start in Bangkok. What is the easiest way to get to Chiang Mai and then Umphang? Can I fly (a regular airline) - or do I need to drive? How much time do I need in each place and how long will it take me to get from place to place?

Is it worth going to Hong Kong at the end, or would it just not be worth the hastle?

Any comments on how to split up my time after Bangkok would be appreciated.

Any comments on how best to get from one location to another would be very help.

Finally, Hong Kong or Phuket?

I've gotten some great suggestions from previous posts, and would really appreciate any comments that you may have.

Thank you.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM

Whether you do Hong Kong depends on if you want to relax on a beach or explore a city at the end. Is your flight purchased? If you fly EVA Air for example as I'm doing, you can fly into BKK and fly home from Hong Kong. That would save the return trip to BKK to fly home. However, if this were me, I would rather either go to the beach or go to Siem Reap with the extra time.

In terms of flights, check out Air Asia, Nok Air, and Bangkok Airways. BA has a Discovery pass which you can use for Hong Kong, beaches etc. You need at least 3 legs. Otherwise, the flight to HK will be expensive (even with the pass it's $120 after taxes one way).
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:21 PM

Oh, and do at least 3 nights in BKK, 3 in CM and 2-3 in HK. I would do 3-4 on the beach if you want to relax. Siem Reap needs 3 nights too.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Would you know if I could include Luang Prabang in this trip somewhere between Chiang Mai and Umphang?

I'm so confused, when I started out tonight I pretty much knew my itinerary, now I'm thing Luang Prabang or Siem Reap.

So many choices - not enough time. HELP!!!
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 08:41 PM

If you are flying in and out of Bangkok then maybe miss Hong Kong this time around.
I would include Siem Reap because the Angkor Complex is such a 'jaw dropping' experience and changing very fast. Go now before access becomes too limited and the area too over-developed. Three days here works.
You could have three or four days beach time in the Phuket area. That would leave you with decent time in Bangkok at the beginning and at the end.
I think this is enough for 15 or 16 days.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 05:13 AM

It's so easy to get carried away with the planning - right?

I'm not familiar with Umphang - where is it? But the best way IMHO to get from BKK to Chiang Mai is by overnight train.

And, yes, don't try and cram too much in. Your main destination is Thailand. Enjoy it!! Siem Reap is a wonderful place and a sane and easy sidetrip.

I am a big HK fan, but suggest you leave it for another time.

Cheers
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:18 PM

Where the heck is Umphang? Anyhow, your schedule has way too much jumping around for me. I'd spend the entire time in Thailand and would put 5-6 full days in Bangkok and not 4. And do you maean that you have a total of 15-16 days "after" you land? Happy Travels!
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:30 PM

It looks like a great place to visit. Limited access, which probably means is less in your face touristy like much of Thailand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphoe_Umphang gives a good overview of the area.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM

I don't think you have time for LP unless you skip something else. I think Siem Reap is very important if you're into temples as it's getting more crowded every year. WIth 15 days on the ground, you can realistically only do about 4 places. That would mean Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Umphang and one more for you. I would add Siem Reap to that if I were you, or a beach. I would leave Hong Kong for another time.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

You're right. I just get so carried away. All of these places looking exciting and wonderful to me. I think I'll stay in Thailand the entire trip. Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Umphang and then a beach area. I was originally thinking about Phuket - but does anybody have any comments about the "nicest" beach in Thailand?
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM

Which beach you should visit depends on when you're going. The weather is usually better on one side of the islands at any one time. Also, each place has many various beaches. Let us know what you're looking for and we can help. You can start by reading beach descriptions for each island on www.Travelfish.org and see what looks more inviting to you.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 12:17 PM

For Guenmai.....Umphang is in Northern Thailand...very close to Burma border.

A very interesting choice at this moment in time!!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM

I was in the Umphang area several years ago and it was very interesting -- especially for those interested in the state of the burmese refugees in thailand. Very untouristy which also means that hotels were not deluxe by any means -- barely adequate. Same with roads. However because the roads are bad (unless they have improved a lot) it takes a long time to get anywhere.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. In regard to Umphang, I realize that accomodations won't be 5 star hotels,which is fine. The reason I had picked that destination was because it was away from the tour buses and I understood that the scenery was incredible. My hobby (after travel) is photography and I was told this was a good choice due to the natural beauty of the area. I was also told that I'd have the opportunity for rafing, and elephants and to see native villages. From those that have been there - is any of this true? Also, is it possible to go from there back to Bangkok? Car w/ driver or airplane? Any idea how long that would take?

Also, as far as the beach portion trip - we were planning that for late January or Early February. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM

Early Feb will run you into Chinese New Year, which means beach areas like Phuket, etc will be fine weather-wise but could be crowded with Asian-based ex-pats on holiday (like me). Bangkok is popular too, as is the north. Hotels and esp flights could be hard to get, look into booking soon. The public holiday is from Feb 7 -9, and as the 9th is a Sat, people will be taking the Sunday off and possibly parts of the following Monday or previous Wednesday for travel. Some schools will be closed for a week.

I live in Hong Kong and Chinese New Year is an interesting time to be here, but I agree that with only 2 weeks, you want to try to only "do" 3 places if you can, esp as one is quite remote. Trying to cram in 4 is doable, but a bit rushed, I would slow down and enjoy what you can. If you want to skip Phuket, then include Hong Kong. There is lots to do here besides just city stuff, and of course really endless photo opportunities.