Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How long can you stay in Asia (the region, not per country basis)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I understand that can stay a certain number of days, often 90, in an Asian country without a visa (as an American; similar for some other nations too). However, my question is not about the stay rules per country, but the Asian continent. Most of the European Union has the Schengen Visa policy where people outside of the Schengen countries cannot stay in Schengen-European countries for more than 90 days over 180 days.

I’d like to confirm there is no similar policy in Asia. So if I’d like to stay 3 months in Japan, then 2 months in Bali and then 1 month in Hong Kong, without a visa, would it be permissible?

Thank you for any help.
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 03:19 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no equivalent of Schengen in Asia. The length of time you can stay, as you've mentioned, varies, so check on the rules that apply to each of the countries you mention. You can, in some cases, leave and return to continue a stay (called a "visa run"). A friend of mine has spent years in Asia without being a legal resident of any one Asian country.

Last edited by MmePerdu; Mar 9th, 2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 03:20 PM

That is correct, there is nothing similar to Schengen in Asia. Each country has it own rules, so research carefully before you make your travel arrangements. A number of countries require a visa, some you can purchase on arrival, others must be obtained (or arranged) in advance. Also note the passport validity requirements. Some Asian countries require 6 months of passport validity when you enter the country.

Note that of the places you listed, Indonesia requires a visa for any stay of more than a few days.
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the confirmation!

And thanks, Kathie, for pointing out Indonesia’s exception.